Murray's Story

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Blue Crossover Quaker named Murray
I know I'm super late in getting back to you about our concerns with the gap in the cage where the divider is inserted. I realized I had a bunch of utility strength zip ties and I decided to use that on both the front and the back of the cage to make the gap more narrow. It seems to have done the trick. For the front I put this rope ladder there initially to help her climb across the front of the cage.

Elvira has never shown an interest in the gap or the zip ties. I don't know if a Quaker's beak is stronger than a conure's?

I'm including some pictures of the cage set up so you can see where the zipties are located along the divider gap. View attachment 46233View attachment 46234View attachment 46235
Hi! I was anxious to hear from you regarding that cage. It's working out great for me and I think it's a super value for what you get. I never really did anything about the gap in mine. Murray is an easy going birdie, and he would really have to struggle to get his head in there. I think his head is just a bit too big for it after all . Like your Elvira, Murray has zero interest or concern about it.

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
How is Murray settling in to his new home and Bird Palace?
Where do I start? :LOL:

Murray is a very content and happy bird. We are both still learning about each other. Although his wings were clipped a month ago before I got him, he has been a very proficient flyer. My dog is getting used to him being around, and her jealousy is subsiding. I try to make time for each of them, especially when I come home for work. First I unlock Murray's cage doors and go love on my dog (who free-roams the house). Murray had been patiently waiting for me to get to her, but just yesterday, while I was giving my pup her regular "I'm home and I love you so much" belly rubs and kisses, Murray decides to do a fly-by and then fly back up to his cage. When I walk into my computer/music room (where I spend much of my time), if I don't take Murray with me, he will zoom down the hall and into the room with me and land either on my desk or on the back of my chair. He is super content, just chilling on the back of my neck or on my shoulder.

I have been experimenting with fresh vegetables and different foods, finding out what he likes, and what he doesn't. He never liked the banana chips in his food, so I would pick those out and give them to the dog. This way the dog gets a treat too when I feed Murray. Well I decided to grind some banana chips in the food processor and lo and behold, Murray likes it. It's all about presentation and learning what's good to eat. He would always pass over the shelled peanuts until one day I saw he finally figured out that there's some good stuff in there! And the kicker.... he wanted nothing to do with fresh millet sprays... until last week he finally discovered that it's not only food, but very tasty food... and he has been rewarded with millet he has to work for (placed inside foraging puzzles). Same goes for pellets. If I grind them, he will nibble at them. At first with the vegetables, I was making a concoction of all sorts of good stuff (chop, basically), but it was hard to tell what he was actually eating, so I have started giving him foods separately. So far, he will eat broccoli and brussels sprouts, but they have to be finely chopped (food processor). No luck on leafy greens though. Romaine lettuce, kale, etc. He doesn't seem to care for those. He likes snow peas if I pull them out of the shell for him or at least cut it open so he can see them. All this is new to him. He's learning. I'm learning.

So far he hasn't met anybody he didn't like (since he's been home with me). He will come outside with me occasionally if it's warm enough while I check the mail or get something from the car. One day the mail lady came and we went out, the mail lady was excited to see Murray (they had never met) and this darn bird did his happy song for her. My elderly neighbors across the street came over to give me something and Murray took right to them, her especially. When they were leaving he wanted to stay with her :LOL:. He is such a charismatic bird, and quite the showman.

I have a camera on him so I can check on him during the day, and I am happy to see he is often utilizing the toys and puzzles in his cage. He's slowly figuring out that these things are fun. To clarify, it's a camera pointed at his cage, he's not wearing it. 😅

I've rambled on but there's just so much to say. And it's all still a process we are all working through together (me, Murray, and Carmella the dog).

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
He sounds like he’s fit in well and is really happy.

I wish I could let my birds fly around. I just have so many places they could get stuck and bad things they could eat.

I think some Quaker parakeets are born hams. They love to be admired and to entertain.

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
I haven't posted in a while so I thought I would give a little update on Murray, how it's going, and converting him to a healthier diet.

Murray was on a seed diet when I got him. His food had lots of sunflower seeds, which he devours. I started off buying some fresh vegetables but have transitioned to buying small bags of frozen veggies, which are working out great. No waste, and I don't have to deal with freezing portions. I never had a food processor before so I bought a cheap 1.5 qt one from Dollar General and it works great for what I use it for. I put one brussels sprout, some cauliflower, spinach, and broccoli, and whip up a few days' supply. I give him a little bit every day after work and he does tear into it, however he doesn't eat a lot of it. He likes the cauliflower and the brussels sprouts the best. I throw away what he doesn't eat every morning and until recently, I've been putting his regular food (the seed diet with lots of sunflower seeds) in his dish for the day, along with some of the pellets, until I get home. I have been introducing him to different pellets and I had the Roudybush mini pellets, which I found if I put in the food processor to break it down a little, he would at least nibble at it. Last week I ordered Harrison's Adult Lifetime Fine and the Power Treats. He has no interest in the Power Treats, and didn't really care for the Adult Lifetime... BUT... I put several offerings on a plate to see what he would go for... and lo and behold... now he is gobbling up the Roudybush (like it comes out of the bag, not put in the food processor). I think he has finally figured out that it's food and it's pretty tasty. 2 days ago I ran out of his old seed diet (which was Kaytee Fiesta Mix) and didn't buy more. Instead, I put only the Roudybush in his bowl for the day, along with some freeze dried vegetables. I think we're finally off the seed diet. YAY!!!

I have only had him for a little over 2 months now, so we are still learning about each other, and I am figuring out what he likes and what he doesn't. What I have realized is that just because he doesn't want something today, doesn't mean he won't start liking it tomorrow.

When I first got him, he apparently had never seen a millet spray before. Had no interest in it. But now I have to hide it from him :ROFLMAO:. Peanuts... he always disregarded the unshelled peanuts in his food... until I broke one open for him and he discovered tasty goodness lurked inside. Now a nice peanut will keep him occupied for a little bit while he gets it opened up.

He has figured out that I have been hiding treats in his foraging toys and I'm having to replace at least one a week now. Sometimes there's enough "toy" left I can restuff it with crinkle paper and hide more treats to get another few days out of it.

I'm so glad I am able to keep him entertained when I am away at work during the day. Murray is really a very happy boy. I didn't want a bird mainly because of the constant screeching and squawking... but I don't have that problem with him... and I know why. Because if I'm home, he's out of his cage for the most part... except late in the evening when it's quiet time, about 8 or 9 o'clock, and I usually go to bet around 10, 11 or 12, depending on circumstances.

A few weekends ago I had to keep him caged up the entire weekend... and he did get loud and boisterous, and that's when I realized why he's such a good and happy boy. He has plenty of out-of cage time. I'm just glad I am able to accommodate him :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Murray is a handsome guy and I’m glad you’ve got him on a better diet.

I think you hit the birdie jackpot with this bird. You’ve only had him a little while but he’s friendly and eating well.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
You and Murray are so great together!! I love this update!

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Today has been an exhausting one. My boss's bird for 23 years passed away yesterday (boss is in Texas and his bird is in Florida with mom). To cheer him up, I brought Murray in to work today. He has flight, but never flies more than 20 feet, flies a circle and comes right back. Well today we were outside, Murray on my shoulder, and he got spooked. He didn't fly a 20 foot circle. He flew up and over the building and disappeared. My heart sunk. Long story short, after an hour and a half of searching, I went back and just stood there, watching and listening. Then I heard Murray's chirp. I followed his chirps until I ended up finding him at the top of an oak tree in the empty lot next door. There are a few homeless people who set up camp under this grove of trees. I had already asked them to please keep an eye out. Well I parked my butt under that tree in sight of my bird and where he could see me. After about an hour, he started moving higher up on the branch he was on (a co-worker was on his way with a bird cage and some food/water). After he (Murray) climbed to the tippy top of that branch, he took off and flew right towards the homeless people who were standing about 50 feet away. He landed on the shoulder of one of the homeless people, and I thank God she didn't flip out or try to swat him. I walked over and retrieved my bird and all is well. I ended up buying lunch for the camp.

Lesson Learned: LISTEN to the people who tell you not to let your bird outside uncaged or untethered unless its wings are clipped. His wings had been clipped when I first got him but they have since grown out. I love him being able to fly around the house and go where he wants. He will typically only fly to me or to his cage when he's thirsty or tired, so there hasn't been any issue.

In a way I was proud of him for flying so well, but for sure he's getting his wings clipped first chance I get. I'm so grateful and thankful he's back home in his cage and that he didn't have to fend for himself out there in the wild. He wouldn't make it for long.

20230221_154007.jpg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
How scary for you! I'm so glad he flew down!

Sadly there are just as many stories of clipped birds flying off when they're spooked. A rush of adrenaline or a gust of wind can make up for feathers :(

Murray sure gave you all a lot of excitement for the day, and I hope you both get lots of good snuggles and relaxing tonight!

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
How scary for you! I'm so glad he flew down!

Sadly there are just as many stories of clipped birds flying off when they're spooked. A rush of adrenaline or a gust of wind can make up for feathers :(

Murray sure gave you all a lot of excitement for the day, and I hope you both get lots of good snuggles and relaxing tonight!
He slept all the way home and he's been chilling out in his cage all evening. He is one tired boy. And so am I. So many emotions running through my head today. It takes a lot out of you.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I can imagine! Hopefully you'll be able to rest easy tonight ❤️

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wow. How scary.

I guess the visit was a distraction?

I check wings regularly when I see clipped feathers drop. I wouldn’t want to lose my boy.

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
I guess the visit was a distraction?
He lived there where I work for over a year before he became my bird. It was a normal thing for him to perch on my shoulder while I'm walking around, even outside. What spooked him was a forklift. I knew the forklift would probably ruffle his feathers, but I would never have guessed he would fly away. Now I know, and I (we) got lucky this time.

Most Reactions