my adopted African Grey (12yo) has started to get aggressive with me and my mother. what happen ?

Nick24

Feb 2, 2023
Parrots
African grey
renderTimingPixel.png

hes been growning new feathers, and has been plucking at them ( hes always pucked) but thats the normal part. for some reason when i show up to his cage he starts to attack me, and gets into a hyper defensive position. he attaacked my moms foot, and is pretty normal with my brother and father tho they dont normally talk or pet him.
the only thing i can think of is the fact that i try to give him a spray bath and he hates me now. but this is all of a sudden
any tips on how to make him like me again

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am no expert on CAG’s
Only had mine since 2016.
My CAG does her best to take my fingers off when I feed her.
My best guess is it’s partially cage aggression.
When out of the cage she is willing enough to step up and be friendly.
My Bella is also a rescued plucker. She is much better now but twice a year (during molting as near as I can figure) she plucks feathers.

As far as shoes, never had a problem with Bella but.
My Yellow nape use to do that. I simply don’t let him go on the floor.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there. Think really hard if anything in his surroundings changed. Or anything else, like what you wear, smell like, appearance changes, etc. My amazon sometimes gets weirded out when i get a haircut.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
renderTimingPixel.png

hes been growning new feathers, and has been plucking at them ( hes always pucked) but thats the normal part. for some reason when i show up to his cage he starts to attack me, and gets into a hyper defensive position. he attaacked my moms foot, and is pretty normal with my brother and father tho they dont normally talk or pet him.
the only thing i can think of is the fact that i try to give him a spray bath and he hates me now. but this is all of a sudden
any tips on how to make him like me again
You say your CAG is 12, but for how long have you had him?

I have found that sometimes when adopting birds there can be a “honeymoon “ period where everything is rosy. Then things can change suddenly.

Also some birds are more attracted to humans of a specific gender and viciously reject members of the opposite sex.

Most Reactions

Latest posts