My alexandrine parrot not well and i have to put to sleep

OP
F

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
Metal toxicity... I was given medication for this and it didnt work. But he definitely shows symptoms of ataxia.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
did they run a blood panel?? Did they do chelation therapy ?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Metal toxicity... I was given medication for this and it didnt work. But he definitely shows symptoms of ataxia.

did they run a blood panel?? Did they do chelation therapy ?

Lab tests by an accredited facility or done by a competent vet are vital for accurate diagnosis. A lot of causes for ataxia, this link is fairly scientific but fully describes: https://lafeber.com/vet/diagnosing-and-treating-avian-neurologic-disease/

https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/ataxia
https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...ng-signs-of-neurological-disease-in-birds.pdf

OP
F

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
They have told me they did all possible test they have not found anything but i did call another vet for a 2nd opinion but they said it has to be referred by my current vet, so ill call them on Monday hoping they will agree.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Did you have an x ray done? If not I would, ask fir full body, they usually do that....

Sometimes things just can't be figured out, but a second opinion is always a good idea
Rooting for your baby

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
What is the name of this vet, if you do not mind sharing? What are his/her credentials? They should be providing you with details...not vague statements about "everything we could"

OP
F

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
Hi guys,
Since the last time i wrote on here,
My parrot is still alive i choose not to put him to sleep as i believed he still wants to live. His condition has not got worse but has stayed stable. I know move him to the window in the morning so he can get some sun but as his mobility is strictly by mouth only its quite dangerous for me to leave him unsupervised for long. I wash him feet and legs everyday to get all his poo of him and some time hand feed him to make sure hes eaten properly, i know hes not here for long with me but im hoping he will be a miracle story, since the last time i wrote on here ive move him in a bigger cage now he has more space to move around with his beak (some sort of excercise) he is at his worst because he can not even climb, only able to use his beak to move to A to B left to right. And can sit when he feels like it.

He is showing sign of full ataxia, but his poos are very healthy...
Any parrot expert can make anything of what ive said??? Pls advise

Most Reactions

Latest posts