My Amazon attacks when I eat

KateAndMango

Feb 20, 2021
Poland
Parrots
Amazon bluefronted
Hi guys,

I am kind of new to the parrot world. I did my fair share of online research prior to getting my Amazon Bluefronted named Mango. She is 7months, she is with me for about 5 now. She is pretty quiet, during the day, knows some basic tricks, she has tendency to getting angry at toys she plays with for hours just 5 minutes ago which I do not understand but other than that she is a good bird. The problem started just recently (maybe 3 weeks ago) when she became interested in my food. As soon as I walk into the room with a bowl of cerial or sandwitches she will just fly ad attack the bowl while it is still in my hands and ends up attacking my hands in the proces (she has seen my food so many times before and had no problem with it, she would even play on the table before where those things would just lay around and she had no problem with them) if I just come with the sandwich or a cookie or basically anything to eat she will just fly and attack what I'm holding. If she does not react straight away she will just fly to my shoulder after few minute and attack my neck, cheeks, ears. If I try to shake her off she will just circle around and screaming will try to attack again, am I silently avoiding her or leaving the room. Until I eat it she will not leave me alone. I have researched online but with no result to this particular case.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kate :green:

Last edited:

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
Wow. I have never experienced this in the 38 years I have had my BFA. Yes, he always wants what I am eating, but will sit on his perch and beg. Never has he attacked anything like that. He just calmly sits and stares and says "Hello" in a small birdie voice until he gets something. Sometimes he will walk around in circles and throw his head a little as well.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy has never attacked while I eat..he just helps himself and says HUH? as he chows down.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If I follow the numbers correctly, you brought your 'girl' home when she was two (2) months old and you have had her for 5 additional months, yes?

I assume that as a European (Poland) you have a Hatch Certificate and a DNA verification certificate that she is in fact a girl, yes?

Amazons, as a group, are not fully weaned at two months of age. Some are just beginning to transition onto solid food. Was your Amazon still on formula or transitioning to solid food when she came home with you.

It is always difficult to define what is happening and what the drivers are in this type of formate. As a result, I can only provide you my best 'guess' at what is happening.

What you are defining sounds like a starvation based behavior. At some point prior to your bringing her home or at your house, she was not eating enough. It is also possible that she is not eating enough now.

Once again, it is very difficult to define precisely what has or is happening.

At this point, stop eating in front of her and assure that she has food available all day.

So, what are you feeding her?

OP
KateAndMango

KateAndMango

Feb 20, 2021
Poland
Parrots
Amazon bluefronted
@SailBoat, to be more precise she was 2,5months when she Got home with me, and has been with me for 5months now. She was already eating solid food when I got her.

I do have Hatch certificate, I do not have the DNA test as the bird was not handfed the breeder said she was terrified of hands he did not want to traumatize it (yeah, I do not know if I believe it). I do believe that she is scared of hands because she did not tolerate them at first but she took to me quickly. She does not trust hands fully yet (she is scared if I put my hands over her head and does not like to be touched on the wings or back. I am trying to get her to trust me more but I know it is a proces and I want to be able to check her wings for issues if I suspect any). I will do the DNA on my own but want to wait till she trusts me more so it is easier. The breeder took his best guess as she was the smallest one and the rest of the siblings were all male.

When it comes to food:
As I said earlier Mango was already eating solid food when I got her. She was all about seeds but she converted to veggies and fruits almost instantly.

She only gets one special day in a week when she gets only seed mix. The rest of the week it is veggies (80%), fruits (15%), sprouts and eggs/fish (5% once or twice a week).

In addition she will get treats (sunflower seeds or banana) during training, for foraging toys and to reinforce good behaviour.

As I got worried, after you mentioned starvation, that she is indeed not eating enough I weight her today. I weight her every once in a while. Looks like Mango gained weight, in mid January she was 333g and she is 375g today. Sounds a bit too much?

Maybe I should add some pallets to her daily diet so she feels more full?

Also she spends most of the day outside the cage, she has access to her bowl at all times and I make sure that she does have food.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
My Alexandrine does not attack, but will land on or in my food. I'm happy to share most things, but my food (and video calls!) are off limits :)

Could you not just keep her in her cage when you eat? This is how I managed it. I can keep him distracted when I'm having a snack, but he isn't out for meals.

It's very normal for your bird to want to eat when you do so make sure she has plenty of healthy foods to tick into while you do the same.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Within the Amazon sub-forum and at the top are a couple of Threads (in light blue) that you will do well reading. Regarding the Thread: I Love Amazons --. I strongly recommend that you read that huge Thread and specifically that segment that speaks to a Diet for an Amazon.

The diet you are providing is likely thin on protein.

I strongly recommend that you limit Sun Flower Seed as they can result in fatty Liver problems with Amazons!

Last edited:
OP
KateAndMango

KateAndMango

Feb 20, 2021
Poland
Parrots
Amazon bluefronted
Within the Amazon sub-forum and at the top are a couple of Threads (in light blue) that you will do well reading. Regarding the Thread: I Love Amazons --. I strongly recommend that you read that huge Thread and specifically that segment that speaks to a Diet for an Amazon.

I strongly recommend that you limit Sun Flower Seed as they can result in fatty Liver problems with Amazons!

Thank you for all of your advice, I took my time with the response as I wanted to watch how Mango behaves. She doesnt like pellets at all, so I am getting creative to add it somehow. I did change couple of things here and there with her diet and I see a change. She is not attacking me anymore. Now she tends to come if I eat sandwitches and begs for a bite but is not aggresive. Thank you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Thank you for all of your advice, I took my time with the response as I wanted to watch how Mango behaves. She doesnt like pellets at all, so I am getting creative to add it somehow. I did change couple of things here and there with her diet and I see a change. She is not attacking me anymore. Now she tends to come if I eat sandwitches and begs for a bite but is not aggresive. Thank you!

So very happy to hear that many things have stabilized and you both seems happier!

With great hope, the two of you can begin developing a life long relationship!

FYI: Try crushing the Pellets and placing it with the dry food. She is likely to eat bits of it by error.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
As I got worried, after you mentioned starvation, that she is indeed not eating enough I weight her today. I weight her every once in a while. Looks like Mango gained weight, in mid January she was 333g and she is 375g today. Sounds a bit too much?

Her weight is just fine, especially since she’s so young! I just looked it up:

Average weight for a BFA is 275-510 grams.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts