My Amazon Hates When I Cut My Hair?! HELP PLEASE!

BabytheAmazon

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
Please help! My Amazon was rescued and I've been told she is a girl. I've had her for 4 years and we bonded well. She can be out and about, rides my shoulder, shares meals, plays, naps, we do everything together. BUT when I get my hair buzzed every other week she turns into a razor blade with wings!!! She usually will bite me if I come home with a hair cut so I started just leaving her alone when I do and open her cage but don't touch or force contact and put her food on a plate on top of her cage. That worked for a while, but Lately she has been getting more and more aggressive when I come home with a hair cut and it has now escalated to her flying at my face and attacking me and biting anything she can get to. Usually after 1-2 days she will calm down and be normal again but the more aggressive she gets the longer it takes each time to calm back down. What do I do? She is only ever like this when I cut my hair, and I buzz it so its happening like every 2 weeks. PLEASE HELP, I'M STARTING TO GET SCARED OF HER!!

Attachments

• 20220221_194707.jpg
    20220221_194707.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 70

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I am NOT well-versed in parrot behavior so hopefully you'll get some good ideas from those who are.

I wonder if it's the smell of the barber shop or any products they use that bothers her versus the change in appearance, since a cut every two weeks isn't a super drastic change.

OP
B

BabytheAmazon

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
I am NOT well-versed in parrot behavior so hopefully you'll get some good ideas from those who are.

I wonder if it's the smell of the barber shop or any products they use that bothers her versus the change in appearance, since a cut every two weeks isn't a super drastic change.
My daughter cuts it for me at her house. I go over there every Wednesday, hair cut or not and she is fine on the other times I go when I don't cut it. And no, its not a drastic change, idk what the issue is.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is a tricky one...
Hopefully or Amazon masterclass will add their thoughts!

Now it's a pattern, with probably some feedback loop from you as well , as you anticipate and are on guard when you returns. Parrots are masters at reading us! So if your nervous its validation to her of her response . Or she has decided this is a great deal of fun.

So try to create a new pattern. Explain you are off to have your glorious hair cut. And you will be sure to show it off to her when you return. Remove or hold back her ultimate favorite treat food for a couple of days before your appointment. Have it on your and ready when you return . As soon as you get back, Project calm joy. Tell her how happy you are and you've decided she deserves some lovely treats to celebrate . Not excitement, just very happy.

Best I can think of.

OP
B

BabytheAmazon

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
This is a tricky one...
Hopefully or Amazon masterclass will add their thoughts!

Now it's a pattern, with probably some feedback loop from you as well , as you anticipate and are on guard when you returns. Parrots are masters at reading us! So if your nervous its validation to her of her response . Or she has decided this is a great deal of fun.

So try to create a new pattern. Explain you are off to have your glorious hair cut. And you will be sure to show it off to her when you return. Remove or hold back her ultimate favorite treat food for a couple of days before your appointment. Have it on your and ready when you return . As soon as you get back, Project calm joy. Tell her how happy you are and you've decided she deserves some lovely treats to celebrate . Not excitement, just very happy.

Best I can think of.
Thank you, I will try the treat next time, thats a good place to start.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I had a former pet that developed a total phobia of outdoor stairs seemingly out of nowhere. It turns out he was stung by a bee walking down stairs at a park. It might originally have been something totally random that she associated with seeing your haircut.

I like Laurasea's idea to change what you do before and after the haircut, and see how it affects the behavior.

....or have you showed her photos of hair styles and asked her what she suggests? 😜

OP
B

BabytheAmazon

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
I had a former pet that developed a total phobia of outdoor stairs seemingly out of nowhere. It turns out he was stung by a bee walking down stairs at a park. It might originally have been something totally random that she associated with seeing your haircut.

I like Laurasea's idea to change what you do before and after the haircut, and see how it affects the behavior.

....or have you showed her photos of hair styles and asked her what she suggests? 😜
Maybe I should have her choose my style 🤣🤣

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SOme Amazons and other parrots just do not understand how we can be the same person that they are familiar with. For some, its wearing or not wearing glasses, or changing the color of your eye shadow. Or not wearing their favorite shirt. Anything that alters your appearance can be the subject of "WTF is this???".

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Excellent tools above!

Change your vantage point, as there can be other things occurring! And, consider reducing the amount of hair removed, i.e. wear your hair a bit longer!

Four years is a long time for not having your Amazon DNA Sex Tested. Likely time for that Well Parrot Examination at the same time.

OP
B

BabytheAmazon

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
Excellent tools above!

Change your vantage point, as there can be other things occurring! And, consider reducing the amount of hair removed, i.e. wear your hair a bit longer!

Four years is a long time for not having your Amazon DNA Sex Tested. Likely time for that Well Parrot Examination at the same time.
She has her well exams every 6 months, just never had her DNA test done. You're right though, I should do it. Can they also tell me how old she is? I rescued her and the place had no idea of her age. The vet says she is very healthy though.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
She hates my daughter and attacks her on sight. We aren't sure why but definitely not possible to take her with me
Ok.
can you try just once to get your hair trimmed somewhere else?

does your bird respond this way anytime you visit your daughter?/just when you get your hair cut.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He's said she doesn't mind the other times he's visited his daughter regularly, only when his hair is cut.

I suspect we might not figure out what the trigger initially was, but I think with Laurasea's advice to try to alter what happens Before and After the haircut visits we'd at least know if we'd get a different Behavior result - and whether it's the physical appearance alone or the chain of events including the appearance that are causing the freakout. 🤷‍♀️ Hopefully :)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Wait I'm lost......you let your daughter cut your hair? I mean in covid I was jealous of several husbands that got haircuts;;;;those butt heads,,,, but seriously now? maybe just a #2 on the side like I do? I thnk I needed this before.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts