My B&G macaw Sunny

Krieng

Jul 10, 2014
We live in Abu Dhabi was looking for a talking bird in pet market but when my wife saw Sunny, she changed her mind to beauty bird and I think she made a good choice. We don't have breeder here. Pet market is the only place you can find pet in this city. He is with us for 2 weeks now, today we bring him outside and he seems to enjoy weather but cannot be outside for too long because temp is around 40 Celsius. He is around 6 m old and actually he maybe she. We will know after next week when he visit vet for DNA test. I just come to say hi to everybody here.

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 192
Beautiful! And he still may talk. Blue and Golds are amongst the better talking macaws, I believe.

Oh my gosh...I HAVE to stop looking at all these beautiful macaws on the forum or else I will want one!!!

Welcome to the forum. Sunny is a stunning bird, looks healthy and appears to be settling in well. Your wife looks like she has a gift with parrots. Macaws can definitely talk, and at such a young age, if he's going to be a talker, nows the time to start encouraging it:)

Just curious if your outdoor area (not sure if they call it a patio or what in your part of the world) is enclosed? If not, you may want to start recall training and/or harness training Sunny before he starts experimenting with flying so he does not escape.

Oh my gosh...I HAVE to stop looking at all these beautiful macaws on the forum or else I will want one!!!

TOO LATE!

Beautiful bird! Looks like another "mush mac"...

What a gorgeous baby! Congratulations! He looks like a lot of fun. :)

My Sunny is a Catalina (daddy was a blue and gold) and she is a big talker. She spent time a lot of time talking to kids when she was younger and I think that is where she learned to talk. She has used about 200 phrases, I don't know how many word as many of the phrases are variations of the same words. Don't think your Mac can't be a big talker. He might have a lot to say!

Thanks for all advices.
He started to say hello but not very clear yet. 200 phrases is above my target. Your bird and you are genius. Only about 10 phrases is enough to make us happy. He seems to enjoy flying but his wings were trimed from the shop. I will have to do harness/ recall training before his next molting.
I really think of free flight next year. But there is lot of things to concern especially his safety. I not see any bird of prey in this area and falcon I have seen in nature are quite small. I need to do my resource how to do it properly.
I just search info about Catalina, oh they looks amazing and beautiful. I've never seen one here.
About hand feeding as per my vet recommended is once a day. But I and my wife feed him 2-3 times a day and totally more than 200 cc per day. Seeds and apple (his favorite) are available all day. Do you think we hand feeding him too much?
I really appreciate all advices since I am first time macaw owner.

Edit...I already searched info about weaning, yes I know now I still have to hand feeding him until he refuses and that may take up to 10 month or more, no problem of that, my wife enjoy hand feeding him.

Last edited:
Hi Krieng,
Beautiful baby, your wife made a perfect choice with Sunny.
I was going to add that by the looks of your birds tail feather length he appears to be closer to 3-4 months old. In fact, my baby macaw is 12 weeks old and has about the same tail growth. In that case, I would be feeding him up to 90cc per feeding (3 times a day) if he will take that much. Slowly, I would cut down the mid-day feeding amount if he eats on his own during the day, but continue to feed the most at night. I would also start giving him vegetables (corn, peas, beans) and nuts. When buying nuts, buy them in the shell and crack them a bit for him, then he can play with the nut and learn to get the meat out. As long as your bird does not throw up the hand-feeding food and he is willingly bobbing for it, you will not be over-feeding him. Also don't let him have the apple seeds when you give him apple. The more energy he gains from being hand-fed the more he will want to eat on his own 100%, so your right, keep hand feeding till he refuses.
I would buy your harness now and start placing it on him every time you go outside, the Aviator harness is amazing!
Enjoy your baby!

Hi Krieng,
Beautiful baby, your wife made a perfect choice with Sunny.
I was going to add that by the looks of your birds tail feather length he appears to be closer to 3-4 months old. In fact, my baby macaw is 12 weeks old and has about the same tail growth. In that case, I would be feeding him up to 90cc per feeding (3 times a day) if he will take that much. Slowly, I would cut down the mid-day feeding amount if he eats on his own during the day, but continue to feed the most at night. I would also start giving him vegetables (corn, peas, beans) and nuts. When buying nuts, buy them in the shell and crack them a bit for him, then he can play with the nut and learn to get the meat out. As long as your bird does not throw up the hand-feeding food and he is willingly bobbing for it, you will not be over-feeding him. Also don't let him have the apple seeds when you give him apple. The more energy he gains from being hand-fed the more he will want to eat on his own 100%, so your right, keep hand feeding till he refuses.
I would buy your harness now and start placing it on him every time you go outside, the Aviator harness is amazing!
Enjoy your baby!

Thank you

I forgot to tell his middle tail was damaged in the shop that's why he has short tail length. I weigh him today, he is 1.06 kg after launch. We just introduced him veggies yesterday. I will be careful about apple seed.

Don't worry about the tail. Young birds end up having ratty tail feathers for the first several years of their lives because they don't really know to pay attention to them, and it sometimes seems like they break them constantly...

They grow back just fine every 4-6 months or so...

I live in Abu Dhabi also! I just got a male Eclectus from the souq a few days ago. BEAUTIFUL macaw, I know your post is a couple years old, how is your bird doing now? and has he started talking?

I live in Abu Dhabi also! I just got a male Eclectus from the souq a few days ago. BEAUTIFUL macaw, I know your post is a couple years old, how is your bird doing now? and has he started talking?

What a necro! :D

I too would be interested in hearing how Sunny and his owners are fairing though....

:p

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back