my baby boy is trying to act like an alpha ; being aggressive

Joined
Sep 6, 2025
Messages
68
Reaction score
70
Parrots
2 green cheeked conures and 1 black capped
Hello all!

So, I have a little black-capped conure named Link. He is one of my three babies, and I love him just as much as the rest of my little raptors. However, Link has recently become more aggressive and nippy than usual.

He has always been a bit aggressive and protective over his cage and his mate, and he even has bullied his mate and sister, biting their legs and jumping on them. Now, he is starting to give me and my boyfriend a hard time trying to get him back in his cage. We have to lure him on our finger with treats, which I want to stop. I don’t want him to think this behavior is okay.

I love him to death and I want nothing more than for him to let me cuddle and preen him like the rest of the flock, but he just doesn’t seem like the cuddly type, only fluffing up with his mate. He sits on my shoulder and occasionally lets me boop him, but that’s it.

Any tips on tricks on how to get him to potentially open up to me?

Thank you :)
 
No advice is needed. what must be your next action, is to await the outcome of where he is in the establishment/ continuation of the bonding process going on. bit early to start claiming hormonal tendencies. could be just somewhere in the bonding process, and can be ascertained by the pin feathering and what he does to/with his mate.
I have a bonded pair of B&G's now into the second year of bonding totally. roost together, feed each other, bicker and fight together. the cock bird is terribly protective of/to her. Mainly towards the other macaws. yet with me, when I take her for our daily walk he is there when I put the harness on her.And leave him in the aviary He is not bothered, and when we are about half a kilometer from home I hear his calling, and she responds as if to say "all is well"'
The point of me mentioning this is that on our daily sojourn, she is totally attuned to me, and talking sessions together improve daily, in some small way. Yet at home together with the flock, its as if she doesn't want to know me unless theres someting to gain.
I do not have any expectations of what my birds should do. I go with the flow and am happy the way things are. Obviously I want the best for my birds, and a lot of times it is hard for me to work out whats best, and the input I get from them, goes a long way to seeing some/a little/ no improvement. A new tact is usually sought at that point, to improve and return to status quo. They determine when, and how, things happen, anything else is only a figment of my imagination.
 
Back
Top Bottom