My baby GCC keeps crashing into walls!

Sep 6, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure: Sugar
Lovebird: Mango
I have an 7-8 week old baby GCC and heā€™s very cuddly and curious, the only problem is he keeps crashing into walls and my furniture. He will try to fly on top of my head but the canā€™t figure out a way to land and as a result will crash into my things. He really trys he just dosenā€™t have any idea where to land and ends up crashing into things. Is this normal? Should I be worried and take more precaution?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very young fliers have less understanding of hazards and are at risk of injury or worse. One precaution is to limit area of flight until he becomes more skilled. Another is holding him and giving "guided tour" of entire area. Walk to every inch of wall space, furniture within rooms, and let him process every possible obstacle. Helpful but not guaranteed solution!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
babies are programed at thus age to learn to fly. They will get better if not wing clipped. They are driven to keep practicing.

Is yours clipped? I hope not as it is so important to fledged and learn to fly.

The above is great, repeated tours of home, tap on windows and walls.

Let them practicing in a carpeted bedroom.

I've had two learn to fly and they learned pretty quickly.

One adult took longer but could glide to tge floor safely

OP
Strawberiesaremyfavorite
Sep 6, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure: Sugar
Lovebird: Mango
babies are programed at thus age to learn to fly. They will get better if not wing clipped. They are driven to keep practicing.

Is yours clipped? I hope not as it is so important to fledged and learn to fly.

The above is great, repeated tours of home, tap on windows and walls.

Let them practicing in a carpeted bedroom.

I've had two learn to fly and they learned pretty quickly.

One adult took longer but could glide to tge floor safely
Iā€™m not a big fan of wing clipping, i do not clip any of my birds wings; Iā€™ll definitely be using the advice above! ā˜ŗļø

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so glad you don't clip! It's an intense time with babies learning. I ended up putting bath mat and blanket on a lot of the floor. I think I also kept him lower at first. And gave him some stuff to short flights between.
I hope yours also learns quickly.

Also its a great time to work on recall training in the house. As they want to stay with you come to you. Work with their skill level. Don't leave them and walk off, unless you are set up and safe as at this age they are likely to follow. And get I trouble if you aren't ready for that.

Andv

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts