My bird is eating everything he finds, help!

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello, this will be a ā€œshortā€ forum but I need some advice with my male cockatiel named Kiko. I posted about him eating a piece of a hot cheeto (heā€™s fine.)

KIKO IS EATING ANYTHING HE FINDS! He was never this curious and only ate HIS food. Now he wants ANYTHING we are eating. I cant eat anything with him near anymore. Every second I look away he slowly creeps to the food and tries to eat it šŸ˜­ If he ends up putting something in his mouth that he shouldnā€™t, he runs or flies away from us so we donā€™t take it out of his mouth.

PLS HELP ME! Idk what to do about this. I donā€™t want him to eat something he shouldnā€™t bc he might eat something that could kill him. I monitor him all the time and never leave him unsupervised, but when he sees something he wants even from far away, he gets really hyper and runs towards it.

Things like chips, rice, and fries attract him the most. (I heard that it is OKAY to feed ur bird rice but the rice we make has spices in it.)

Thanks to anyone who replies :) šŸ’— and thanks to all the sweet members of parrotforums that have always been kind and helpful.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
A bird wanting to eat what you're eating is normal, they're flock animals. I suggest you keep him in his cage while eating, or keep him in a separate room.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
my advice.....snack on a strawberry, honey mellon, grape, broccoli, pepper etc. before dinner, (just one and let the bird eat the crap out of that. Then have your real snacks or dinner.

Protip.... say "no" at first and "they can't have a grape or a cauliflower" then let them win.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
So I haven't told you before that the bird that made me fall in love with parrots is a cockatiel named Keiko (pronounced like Kiko), so I really love all the updates and questions you've posted recently.

It sounds to me like Kiko is well on the way to being a very happy, confident, social bird!!

Maybe have a little food Kiko can eat on the side of your plate for him to "steal" - or make a little plate for him and see if that's good enough to sneak food from :)

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
So I haven't told you before that the bird that made me fall in love with parrots is a cockatiel named Keiko (pronounced like Kiko), so I really love all the updates and questions you've posted recently.

It sounds to me like Kiko is well on the way to being a very happy, confident, social bird!!

Maybe have a little food Kiko can eat on the side of your plate for him to "steal" - or make a little plate for him and see if that's good enough to sneak food from :)
Aww thatā€™s really sweet! Sometimes I put some treats or his fave veggies beside me so heā€™s distracted but heā€™s always interested in what Iā€™m eating and wants it šŸ˜­ with my brother, after heā€™s done eating, Kiko will lick his mouth or lips and itā€™s so weird to watch him do it lol

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Well he sure knows what he wants, doesn't he?!

If he is pressuring you for food he can't eat when you are offering him things he can eat, that sounds trickier. Putting him in his cage with some food you can share is an option. Letting him eat with you but just moving him back to his own plate/bowl/place is another option. I'm guessing it will be a lot of repeating what you want him to do (redirecting him to what you want him to eat) and probably some sass along the way, but he'll get there!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am having the same problem with Willow. He doesnā€™t like his current pellets. I have to eat away from him or leave him in his cage with something else while I have dinner.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
IS EATING ANYTHING HE FINDS! He was never this curious and only ate HIS food. Now he wants ANYTHING we are eating. I cant eat anything with him near anymore
you remind me of sky my floofy ball

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I am having the same problem with Willow. He doesnā€™t like his current pellets. I have to eat away from him or leave him in his cage with something else while I have dinner.
Another thing with Kiko is that he wants to eat what IM EATING. If I give him something new to eat he wonā€™t eat it, or he will try it if itā€™s cut very small. Iā€™m guessing that he thinks that what Iā€™m eating must be tasty or safe to eat? Basically: heā€™s scared of food that is ā€œbig,ā€ meaning he likes it chopped very small, but he will even eat the things that look big if Iā€™m eating them. Itā€™s like if I eat it, heā€™s suddenly not afraid of it anymore ?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My parrots all want to steal food from me even if they have the exact same food. They are flock creatures, its what they do.

I hope you will start eating healthier! I know I have ! I'm eating tons more veggies, soaked cooked legumes, whole grains, quinoa, lentils so we can share healthy meals.

It wonderful to share a large selection of parrot safe foods! Keeps them so healthy and vibrant feathers and mental stimulation. Win win

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have had some luck by setting aside portions of my dinner (before salting or buttering) to share with my birds.

Sometimes thatā€™s acceptable to them. It seems if they see it is served at the same time as I eat or from the same plate.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I found some ā€œghost Pepper cheese curlsā€ and they were so hot I had to throw them out. The jalapeƱo ones were good, though. The spice slowed me down so I canā€™t eat ā€˜ā€˜em as fast.

I did not share with birds for fear thatā€™s all Willow would eat once introduced.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
LOL! That's how I taught my cockatiel how to eat crackers. I'd eat it, then feed the dog, then offer him some. Worked like a charm! But it's frustrating when they won't take no for an answer! :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
LOL! That's how I taught my cockatiel how to eat crackers. I'd eat it, then feed the dog, then offer him some. Worked like a charm! But it's frustrating when they won't take no for an answer! :)
Willow doesnā€™t like saltines. I gave him one and said ā€œPolly want a cracker?ā€ And he threw the cracker.

Whatā€™s wrong with crackers?

Most Reactions

Latest posts