My bird just died after only 1.5 years.

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
My lovebird just died and he was only a year and a half old. I don’t know what to do, because he helped me during my darkest times and it’s not like if I get a new bird it’ll be exactly like him. He died from lead poisoning and I’m stupid for not realizing it earlier. I loved him so much, and I've never had such a good bond/friendship with an animal. I miss him so much and I don’t know whether I should get a new bird. I will miss how he always tweeted and gave kisses. And I’m worried if I get a new bird that it will act differently to him. I’m guessing I should give it a couple of weeks and then make a decision. I found him so irritating sometimes but I just want him back. I am going to miss him sitting in my hand, giving me kisses, being cute, being naughty and way more. I wish I could go back in time and reverse it. I would never have had expected him to die so soon and of such a sad cause. It’s my fault though, I left out solder from when I was soldering and he must have eaten some of it when I was gone. I hope that if I get a new bird it’ll be almost exactly the same as he was. I am the one to take the blame, and I wouldn’t ever expect myself to be the own killer of my bird. I don’t know if I should get another bird. If I do I hope it’ll be as I said almost the same. My bird helped me so much throughout life and I don’t know what to do or say. It’s different than a cat or a dog for me, because my parrot had a real bond with me and I interacted with him every day of my life. I am in shock and I hope he remembered me during the last moments I saw him.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My lovebird just died and he was only a year and a half old. I don’t know what to do, because he helped me during my darkest times and it’s not like if I get a new bird it’ll be exactly like him. He died from lead poisoning and I’m stupid for not realizing it earlier. I loved him so much, and I've never had such a good bond/friendship with an animal. I miss him so much and I don’t know whether I should get a new bird. I will miss how he always tweeted and gave kisses. And I’m worried if I get a new bird that it will act differently to him. I’m guessing I should give it a couple of weeks and then make a decision. I found him so irritating sometimes but I just want him back. I am going to miss him sitting in my hand, giving me kisses, being cute, being naughty and way more. I wish I could go back in time and reverse it. I would never have had expected him to die so soon and of such a sad cause. It’s my fault though, I left out solder from when I was soldering and he must have eaten some of it when I was gone. I hope that if I get a new bird it’ll be almost exactly the same as he was. I am the one to take the blame, and I wouldn’t ever expect myself to be the own killer of my bird.

Welcome to the forums, @Dylan Longman, but I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's so awfully hard to lose a bird under these circumstances but you must try not to blame yourself. Your lovebird would not want that for you, he knows now much he was loved and that you would never have intentionally harmed him. You will know in your heart if and when the time is right to share your life with another precious little feathered companion. Every individual is different and no other bird will ever "replace" the one you have lost, but I think you already know that. I truly believe that we will see our beloved ones again, but in the meantime your telling your story here may help to save another. Please accept my very deepest condolences for your loss.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, precious little lovie, until we all meet again 🙏🌈

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry for your loss. I fully agree with my friend above, each Parrot will be different and I assure you that will be a good thing.

I am not sure that lead was the cause as solder sold over the last 15+ years have not had lead as part of it as North American and Western Europe have regulated the removal of lead from any product that comes in contact with drinking water with a major push to remove lead from valves and fittings, which are solder into a copper pipe distribution system. Unless you are using lead for stained glass windows /art most solder no longer contains lead.

OP
Dylan Longman

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Very sorry for your loss. I fully agree with my friend above, each Parrot will be different and I assure you that will be a good thing.

I am not sure that lead was the cause as solder sold over the last 15+ years have not had lead as part of it as North American and Western Europe have regulated the removal of lead from any product that comes in contact with drinking water with a major push to remove lead from valves and fittings, which are solder into a copper pipe distribution system. Unless you are using lead for stained glass windows /art most solder no longer contains lead.
I went to the vet and he had symptoms of led infection. He died at the vet :(

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'm so sorry this happened to you, losing birds young is truly a horrible experience. On the other hand, one of the best things about getting a new bird is that it isn't like your old bird.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My lovebird just died and he was only a year and a half old. I don’t know what to do, because he helped me during my darkest times and it’s not like if I get a new bird it’ll be exactly like him. He died from lead poisoning and I’m stupid for not realizing it earlier. I loved him so much, and I've never had such a good bond/friendship with an animal. I miss him so much and I don’t know whether I should get a new bird. I will miss how he always tweeted and gave kisses. And I’m worried if I get a new bird that it will act differently to him. I’m guessing I should give it a couple of weeks and then make a decision. I found him so irritating sometimes but I just want him back. I am going to miss him sitting in my hand, giving me kisses, being cute, being naughty and way more. I wish I could go back in time and reverse it. I would never have had expected him to die so soon and of such a sad cause. It’s my fault though, I left out solder from when I was soldering and he must have eaten some of it when I was gone. I hope that if I get a new bird it’ll be almost exactly the same as he was. I am the one to take the blame, and I wouldn’t ever expect myself to be the own killer of my bird. I don’t know if I should get another bird. If I do I hope it’ll be as I said almost the same. My bird helped me so much throughout life and I don’t know what to do or say. It’s different than a cat or a dog for me, because my parrot had a real bond with me and I interacted with him every day of my life. I am in shock and I hope he remembered me during the last moments I saw him.
I’m very sorry for your loss. Please remember that you didn’t hurt your bird on purpose and he may even have had some other issue going on.

If you find a new bird friend it may be a lot like your lovebird or it may be quite different. I bought another Quaker after my very old Quaker, Lucy, died two+ years ago. Willow (new Quaker) has a very different personality from Lucy. She was more the life of the party and he’s the shy guy hiding in the kitchen. But Willow is a very sweet bird and I love him nonetheless.

I hope you can let go of some blame and that you will eventually look back with good memories on your bird.

OP
Dylan Longman

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I’m very sorry for your loss. Please remember that you didn’t hurt your bird on purpose and he may even have had some other issue going on.

If you find a new bird friend it may be a lot like your lovebird or it may be quite different. I bought another Quaker after my very old Quaker, Lucy, died two+ years ago. Willow (new Quaker) has a very different personality from Lucy. She was more the life of the party and he’s the shy guy hiding in the kitchen. But Willow is a very sweet bird and I love him nonetheless.

I hope you can let go of some blame and that you will eventually look back with good memories on your bird.
We would love to see photos of your bird if you have them. What was his name?
His name was kiwi. I will try my best to get a peach faced lovebird again. Luckily a lot of the funny things he did is typical male behavior :) so if I get a male again, I hope he will also do those funny things. He did a funny head bob thing, and then would constantly click when he wanted attention and many more things. My neighbors have a male lovebird too, and he also does those things a lot. It will also be fun having a new bird around ofcourse, and im looking forward to it
A0C607AF-2CAB-4915-9942-9B439B1CA7DE.jpeg
4759DC2F-4C84-4B48-B235-E2FA2BB93DB3.jpeg

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I’m so sorry. As Wrench said, most solder today doesn’t have lead, but there are other possible sources. If you do plan to get another bird, it’s worth doing a thorough inspection. Sometimes cages and toys have bare metal exposed that can be poisonous-like galvanized wire, solder on toys or bells, sometimes birds swallow the clappers on cheap bells which can be toxic. Some glazed stoneware pottery used for bowls can have lead in it, especially if it comes from China. There are some good links on this forum about different things that are toxic for birds. If you were soldering in the house, the fumes from that could have been toxic. Some pans give off toxic fumes when heated, as do self-cleaning ovens, and candles, and cleaning products, and some space heaters, and paint…the idea is there are hundreds of things that are dangerous for birds, and it takes time to track them all down.

OP
Dylan Longman

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Kiwi was a very pretty little bird. Was he blue and cream? The big beaks are so cute. I am sorry for your loss.
Yes he was. When he was a baby he was blue and grey with a black and orange beak. I am getting a new roseicollis lovebird on sunday. He looks exactly like Kiwi as a baby, and I'm hoping it's a male mostly, since that's what I have experience with

OP
Dylan Longman

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I’m so sorry. As Wrench said, most solder today doesn’t have lead, but there are other possible sources. If you do plan to get another bird, it’s worth doing a thorough inspection. Sometimes cages and toys have bare metal exposed that can be poisonous-like galvanized wire, solder on toys or bells, sometimes birds swallow the clappers on cheap bells which can be toxic. Some glazed stoneware pottery used for bowls can have lead in it, especially if it comes from China. There are some good links on this forum about different things that are toxic for birds. If you were soldering in the house, the fumes from that could have been toxic. Some pans give off toxic fumes when heated, as do self-cleaning ovens, and candles, and cleaning products, and some space heaters, and paint…the idea is there are hundreds of things that are dangerous for birds, and it takes time to track them all down.
I had him out of the room when I was soldering. But my solder does include lead unfortunately. I know a lot of things which are toxic for birds and I cook with steel pans to be sure he didn't get poisoned. When I clean my room, I always ventilate it before closing my door again. And I checked for quite a while to find any more solder balls, didn't find any. Will still clean my room before I get the new one on sunday. And I will be more mindful on what he eats, because If i'm going to be honest I let him chew on things a lot because I didn't want to hurt him. With my next bird, I will be extra careful.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had him out of the room when I was soldering. But my solder does include lead unfortunately. I know a lot of things which are toxic for birds and I cook with steel pans to be sure he didn't get poisoned. When I clean my room, I always ventilate it before closing my door again. And I checked for quite a while to find any more solder balls, didn't find any. Will still clean my room before I get the new one on sunday. And I will be more mindful on what he eats, because If i'm going to be honest I let him chew on things a lot because I didn't want to hurt him. With my next bird, I will be extra careful.
I have some hobbies which would be dangerous for birds to contact. In fact I used to assemble stained glass, but I gave it up as it’s so hard to keep the glass, the patinas and fluxes, and the solder away from food areas and birds.

I hope to use my hall closet for hand building clay but that will still involve dust and mess.

I wish I could let my birds free roam but I know I’m a klutz and messy/ cluttered, so I only let my birds be in their dressers (with cage and playgym), on their tree playgym, perching basket, or on me. I don’t let them run around my apartment at all.

I am really sorry that your Kiwi got into something. It’s so hard to keep everything away that could harm them. I am sure you will be very careful with any new birds. They are so inquisitive they can find danger almost anywhere.

OP
Dylan Longman

Dylan Longman

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I have some hobbies which would be dangerous for birds to contact. In fact I used to assemble stained glass, but I gave it up as it’s so hard to keep the glass, the patinas and fluxes, and the solder away from food areas and birds.

I hope to use my hall closet for hand building clay but that will still involve dust and mess.

I wish I could let my birds free roam but I know I’m a klutz and messy/ cluttered, so I only let my birds be in their dressers (with cage and playgym), on their tree playgym, perching basket, or on me. I don’t let them run around my apartment at all.

I am really sorry that your Kiwi got into something. It’s so hard to keep everything away that could harm them. I am sure you will be very careful with any new birds. They are so inquisitive they can find danger almost anywhere.
I got a new bird today. He's blue and cream as well and 10 weeks old. I still miss Kiwi so much but I hope this one will be just as funny and cute as Kiwi was.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Sorry for your loss, but at the same time I am excited that you got a new bird. Lovies are mischievous and that's what makes them special. Sending you virtual hugs and look forward to reading about your new adventures with the new beloved fid in your household.

Most Reactions