My birds breathing sounds like a whistle, Please help!!!

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
So for about a month now ive heard my one partotlet breathe, but not loud or noisy i just hear it when om close to her, but not all the time. Most when she has taken a nap and im close to my birds cage she first stretch her wings, then i hear a little whisthle breathing but not loud. And then she does a short sneeze and i dont hear it anymore. My birds always do a short little sneeze after they had took a nap. She seems fine, No poop changes and she keeps wagging her tail and is happy. Im just a bit worried becuase ive had searched over this and all i find is respitory issues or sick bird symptoms. But my bird is acting normal overall, please help!!ā˜¹ļø

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Sick birds will act normal until they are in dire straits. Iā€™d take your little friend to the vet! My parrot Kirby has chronic sinus issues and has to get his nasal cavity flushed by the vet several times a year. Respiratory issues are pretty common because their air sacs and lungs are quite sensitive.

It looks like from your post history this has been an ongoing issue? Do you use an air filter (non-ionizing) in your bird area? Do you use candles, air fresheners or other products with a strong fragrance near them?

If you need help finding a vet we have a great resource thread:

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Sick birds will act normal until they are in dire straits. Iā€™d take your little friend to the vet! My parrot Kirby has chronic sinus issues and has to get his nasal cavity flushed by the vet several times a year. Respiratory issues are pretty common because their air sacs and lungs are quite sensitive.

It looks like from your post history this has been an ongoing issue? Do you use an air filter (non-ionizing) in your bird area? Do you use candles, air fresheners or other products with a strong fragrance near them?

Hi thanks for the reply!! This happend a month Ago, No We dont use air fresheners or candles, but i dont have a vet nearby i live in sweden and my parents wont belive meā˜¹ļø

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
We all have covid rn but i just dont know what to do we cant take her to a vet.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
See if your parents will let you get an air filter - you can tell them that it reduces the dust and dander from the bird (true), just make sure they get a HEPA filter and not one with an ionizer.

Also, I assume itā€™s cold where you are? Are you running heaters? It could be an issue of a lack of humidity. Parrotlets are tropical birds. A humidifier would be ideal, but if you canā€™t get one of those, bring your birds into your bathroom and run the shower until the mirrors get all foggy, and let them hang out in there for a bit (the shower does not need to run the whole time, just long enough to increase the amount of water in the air - turn the vent fan off for this if your bathroom has one). Itā€™s fine to do this with them in their cage as itā€™ll make it easier for you to move them. Do this at least a couple times a week - but if you can bring them in every time you shower that might be really helpful!

As long as you arenā€™t seeing nasal discharge, itā€™s likely not an emergency situation, and these steps can help a lot!

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
T
See if your parents will let you get an air filter - you can tell them that it reduces the dust and dander from the bird (true), just make sure they get a HEPA filter and not one with an ionizer.

Also, I assume itā€™s cold where you are? Are you running heaters? It could be an issue of a lack of humidity. Parrotlets are tropical birds. A humidifier would be ideal, but if you canā€™t get one of those, bring your birds into your bathroom and run the shower until the mirrors get all foggy, and let them hang out in there for a bit (the shower does not need to run the whole time, just long enough to increase the amount of water in the air - turn the vent fan off for this if your bathroom has one). Itā€™s fine to do this with them in their cage as itā€™ll make it easier for you to move them. Do this at least a couple times a week - but if you can bring them in every time you shower that might be really helpful!

As long as you arenā€™t seeing nasal discharge, itā€™s likely not an emergency situation, and these steps can help a lot!
Thankyou so much we have an humidifer home its now on, this really helps but if something happens i will bring her to a vet and check it up!!šŸ˜ƒ

Most Reactions