My budgie "attacks" my siblings

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
When Elvis is out, he's probably in one of three places: his playstand, the window, or flying around and scaring my siblings.
My siblings are not bird people. Some of them hate the birds and others tolerate them. At least, they'll tolerate them until Elvis is flying eerily near them. Then, they'll panic.
I don't think he's attacking them since they've never been bit (I have, but never hard, like Olive does) and it's usually while I'm on the computer and I think he's just trying to mess with them or get my attention, but they don't exactly appreciate it. Also, I know it's good exercise.
His cage is in the living room so it's not easy to make them avoid him. Is there anything I can do or are my siblings just going to have to deal with it? :LOL:

519ad98129448d75fe0303dcdb76010e.jpg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
It sounds like heā€™s just curious, could you try and get your siblings to understand heā€™s just being a bird?
Though, I also realize not all siblings will be understanding šŸ™

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
is that really his reaction?

Awww! someday they are going to appreciate that they were lucky enough to have birds flying around them. (or at them)

OP
ImaParrot

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
is that really his reaction?

Awww! someday they are going to appreciate that they were lucky enough to have birds flying around them. (or at them)
No, that's not them, that was a random image on the internet.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Honestly, my budgies seem to get a big kick out of spooking people who arenā€™t used to them. The bigger the reaction they get the more funny they seem to think it is! I always tell people to try not to react; the less people react the sooner the budgies leave them alone!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Im' going to refer back to the thread in "how do you know your a long time bird owner".....the birds fly around and you don't even flinch or track them....

A budgie can't even hurt a human.....I mean a pinch? .....maybe?

Tell your humans to man up...if they did land, it's privlidge.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I couldnā€™t disagree more with just about everything above. Hereā€™s the thing, and Iā€™m making assumptions here about your home situation (that youā€™re under age and living at home with your family): you should never allow people to feel uncomfortable around your pets. Fear of birds is real and a boundary to be respected. Period, end of sentence.

Flip the script: if you owned a snake, and your siblings were terrified of snakes you donā€™t let the snake out around them. Itā€™s called having emotional IQ. My nephews often bring home a class pet, often a snake or chameleon. Iā€™ll never return to my beloved brothers home if they ever force those reptiles on me - if it does have fur or feathers I appreciate it but donā€™t want it around me without glass. I was already made to sleep in the room, even if they are in an enclosure. That was hard enough.

As a grown adult with emotional IQ, I ALWAYS check with guests to see if they are scared of birds or not. If not, Parker comes out to chill on his play stand. If theyā€™re absolutely uncomfortable and terrified of birds, Parker needs to stay put in his room. I let guests dictate their exposure. Siblings on a home with parents arenā€™t guests? But their comfort level should be taken into account.

It is so important that everyone who enters you and your birds orbit be as comfortable as possible. It creates positive experiences all around. Or at least avoids bad experiences like being forced to be near a wild animal you are profoundly uncomfortable around (flooding is a thing but often can make things much worse).

Sharing a soace (ie your parents home)
with siblings makes it a challenge, but the rule remain: if the siblings are uncomfortable with the beds flying near them, saying ā€œgrow upā€ makes things worse, not better.

Control exposure.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Im' going to refer back to the thread in "how do you know your a long time bird owner".....the birds fly around and you don't even flinch or track them....

A budgie can't even hurt a human.....I mean a pinch? .....maybe?

Tell your humans to man up...if they did land, it's privlidge.
It most definitely hurts a lot when my beloved female budgie Rocky lands on your shoulder and bites your ear! I have to make sure Rocky is inside her cage when we have guests.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
&
&
I couldnā€™t disagree more with just about everything above. Hereā€™s the thing, and Iā€™m making assumptions here about your home situation (that youā€™re under age and living at home with your family): you should never allow people to feel uncomfortable around your pets. Fear of birds is real and a boundary to be respected. Period, end of sentence.

Flip the script: if you owned a snake, and your siblings were terrified of snakes you donā€™t let the snake out around them. Itā€™s called having emotional IQ. My nephews often bring home a class pet, often a snake or chameleon. Iā€™ll never return to my beloved brothers home if they ever force those reptiles on me - if it does have fur or feathers I appreciate it but donā€™t want it around me without glass. I was already made to sleep in the room, even if they are in an enclosure. That was hard enough.

As a grown adult with emotional IQ, I ALWAYS check with guests to see if they are scared of birds or not. If not, Parker comes out to chill on his play stand. If theyā€™re absolutely uncomfortable and terrified of birds, Parker needs to stay put in his room. I let guests dictate their exposure. Siblings on a home with parents arenā€™t guests? But their comfort level should be taken into account.

It is so important that everyone who enters you and your birds orbit be as comfortable as possible. It creates positive experiences all around. Or at least avoids bad experiences like being forced to be near a wild animal you are profoundly uncomfortable around (flooding is a thing but often can make things much worse).

Sharing a soace (ie your parents home)
with siblings makes it a challenge, but the rule remain: if the siblings are uncomfortable with the beds flying near them, saying ā€œgrow upā€ makes things worse, not better.

Control exposure.

I agree and did not mean to be flippant
Mostly I would not want my bird swatted at by someone who was afraid.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
When Elvis is out, he's probably in one of three places: his playstand, the window, or flying around and scaring my siblings.
My siblings are not bird people. Some of them hate the birds and others tolerate them. At least, they'll tolerate them until Elvis is flying eerily near them. Then, they'll panic.
I don't think he's attacking them since they've never been bit (I have, but never hard, like Olive does) and it's usually while I'm on the computer and I think he's just trying to mess with them or get my attention, but they don't exactly appreciate it. Also, I know it's good exercise.
His cage is in the living room so it's not easy to make them avoid him. Is there anything I can do or are my siblings just going to have to deal with it? :LOL:
If a parrot larger than a budgie that I didn't know dive bombed me I wouldn't swat it but I would definitely try to protect my head. If a strange parrot the size of a macaw dive bombed me I would duck and run for my life!
I'd be nervous if I was a kid and my siblings didn't like my birds. I would worry that they may do something to harm them like let them fly away.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If a parrot larger than a budgie that I didn't know dive bombed me I wouldn't swat it but I would definitely try to protect my head. If a strange parrot the size of a macaw dive bombed me I would duck and run for my life!
I'd be nervous if I was a kid and my siblings didn't like my birds. I would worry that they may do something to harm them like let them fly away.
Especially if I didn't respect my siblings desire NOT to be dive bombed by my budgies. Kids can be really mean. Something to consider.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
&
&
That reminds me. Speaking of swatting believe it or not my house was swatted by fifteen police officers called in by my sister. Long Story.
But anyway the officers made their way into our second floor apartment before we could put the birds in their cages and Primor flies on one of them and bites his arm.

LUCKILY this officer was understanding.

One of the other officers was not understanding. When he saw that one of his colleagues got bit he was on the verge... of I'm not sure what cause he was irate.
If he'd gotten bitten he would have had a completely different reaction, prolly would have confiscated my bird and wrung its neck or shot up my house.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That reminds me. Speaking of swatting believe it or not my house was swatted by fifteen police officers called in by my sister. Long Story.
But anyway the officers made their way into our second floor apartment before we could put the birds in their cages and Primor flies on one of them and bites his arm.

LUCKILY this officer was understanding.

One of the other officers was not understanding. When he saw that one of his colleagues got bit he was on the verge... of I'm not sure what cause he was irate.
If he'd gotten bitten he would have had a completely different reaction, prolly would have confiscated my bird and wrung its neck or shot up my house.
I love it! Your bird bit a cop! šŸ˜‚

Most Reactions