My Budgie Hates Being Held

SamRose

Sep 29, 2020
I've had my budgie for a year now, and she used to like being held, but now she avoids it at all costs and flies around her cage to avoid my hand. I am thinking of getting another bird for two reasons:
1. I read that if she doesn't get a lot of human interaction, it is best if you get another budgie to keep them company.
2. If I keep them separate for a little while, and tame the new bird, maybe it will rub off on her? I don't know if that will work.
So my question is, will that work? Is that a good idea? And if so, what gender parakeet should I get to go with my little girl? Thank you so much in advance!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Getting a bird for your bird is generally a bad idea unless YOU can handle 2 parrots separately. You say you feel bad about one, but the thing is, if you do this and it doesn't work then you get to feel bad about 2...Many say that parakeets do better in groups, but you are talking 2...not a group...and either way, quarantine rules and cage size will still apply. If you do get 2, have 2 of everything and watch carefully post-quarantine...

They can mate (big problem for the female in terms of health risks), they can fight, they can bond and exclude you, they can get along great, but then again, they could also bite off toes etc...If a male and a female get along and are housed together, this is a real risk and it sounds cute, but it is complicated in many cases.

If you get another female, they are more likely to fight, but if you get a male, that is super complicated too (look up egg-binding--it's real, nutritionally draining , common and often serious)...Males and females can also fight just as much. It's a gamble, which is why YOU must be ready to have 2 parrots and deal with them separately, in the event that things do not work out. You will need to quarantine and also be extra cautious, as even a pair that seems to get along well may not always.

Again, many people find that budgies (particularly) do well in groups, but you are still gambling because there is no way to know and even if you do, there are pros and cons to either side....so just remember that a "partner" may be the opposite in your bird's eyes.

Any new birds need to be carefully separated in separate rooms for 45 days (with testing from a vet and meticulous hand/clothes/air hygiene. The reason being, asymptomatic "healthy" birds can spread deadly illness, despite showing no health issues at all. During times of stress (such as when a new member is added, or during a re-home) susceptibility is higher due to stress, as is viral shedding in seemingly healthy but asymptomatic birds.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I'd say as long as you do want another budgie, you should go ahead and get one. Budgies really do normally do better in groups. They really don't like to be alone. As Noodles says, there is always a risk of them not getting along, but with budgies that risk is less, and the likelihood is higher that they will work it out.

If you do get another, I'd recommend getting a boy, as they are indeed somewhat more likely to get along. (However, this is not an absolute; IF you find one you prefer, which is a girl, then go for it.) Once you have a pair, just make sure you follow anti-hormonal practices of not providing shady nesting spots & etc etc.

(And as noted above, absolutely definitely do the quarantine. As tempting as it will be to bring them together sooner!) Once quarantine is over, bring them together slowly. Keep separate cage available in case you need to separate them. (Once done with quarantine, you can keep cages next to each other.) Let them go at their own pace with meeting each other & being friends & etc.

One thing to note: Budgies, especially, often tend to dislike hands. Not all budgies, of course. But they might be tame and even trainable and yet still avoid hands at all costs. They tend to have huge personalities inside their tiny little bodies. I personally am quite happy with my two non-tame petstore budgies. We have an understanding; they accept me as their non-flighted flock member as long as I behave myself. Especially, as long as I do not try to handle them!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts