My budgies have abnormally often moults!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Important question! My budgies are currently moulting, but they had their last moult a month ago! I've been noticing they moult every few months, or about 1-2 months after their previous molt. Their moults last about 1-3 months. They had about 4-6 moults last year(I can't remember exactly how many, but I know it was at least 4 times).

Is this normal? Or is it something of concern? Any help is appreciated :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
birds molt gets messed up by domestic life , light, diet ect. They often have longer and more frequent molt.

Down feathers molt out and ar more replaced more often.

As long as they don't have bare skin patches, abnormal shaped feathers, easily broken feathers. Then I think everything fine.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Ok, thank you! John only once had a tiny bare patch last moult, but it was a very rough moult and it's gone now. I'm planning on taking snowy to a vet but she's had the same issue seen by a vet twice:( She's just not herself, tired, sometimes throughout the day she'll do weird head bobbing and sneezing(sometimes a bit of vomit). She's had multiple different treatments but none seem to make a big difference. She usually weigh 38g-41g and now she's 32g! That's why she needs a vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts