My cockatiel got her tail and possibly foot closed in a door

Caitlynn

Jun 7, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel and Lovebird
I was hanging clothes up in my closet and completely forgot she was on my shoe rack so I closed the door and her tail got stuck, it ripped out 5 tail feathers, one of them was a blood feather. Will she be okay or is it best to go to a vet?
16580068929891805953888090883937.jpg
She lost 2 of these feathers but doesn't seem to be bleeding.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry this happened:(
Is it bleeding where she lost her feathers? If not, she should be okay.
My Bourke's also lost all of his tail feathers, he released them when we were trying to catch him.
I would just watch for any bleeding with the feathers. If her foot is also hurt though then that should be seen by an avian vet.
Sending healing wishes to you and your baby.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Easy tail feather dropping is an adaptation to keep your bird safe from being grabbed by her tail and captured. I’m guessing she’s fine. Keep an eye on her foot. If the foot feels hot or she’s not using it, then I’d be concerned. But yea tail feathers are MEANT to come out this way.

I’m sorry you and she got scared though. My older sister did that to my cockatiel in high school and I was SO mad at her. But it wasn’t dangerous, just MEAN on her by part.

Most Reactions

Latest posts