My cockatiel is breathing rapidly-non-step and its really loud! please help!?

Aqeelooo

Dec 16, 2012
She's breathing way too fast, and non-stop. Its like she had been flying for hours and now shes stopped to rest. But she actually hadn't even gotten out of the cage!
I have no idea whats wrong. Maybe she wants to lay an egg and she cant? I really have no idea, and shes not stopping this behaviour she's been like this for approximately 15-20 minutes. I'm really worried.

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
I really hope Ageelooo got their bird to the vet in time. :(

We have to remind people to be very observant and watch their birds carefully for anything abnormal. Especially since birds will instinctively try to hide sickness. A bird can be sick and still act "fine" and move around in his cage, playing with his toys, etc. There might be some early symptoms which can easily be missed if you're not watching carefully. Like sneezing, a decrease in appetite, watery droppings, etc. In both my parakeets, sneezing was the first symptom. Chipper was sneezing and had a runny nose. So I started watching him more carefully and checked him whenever I picked him up and petted him. So then I noticed that his nose was getting stuffed up sometimes. I took him to the vet and he was put on antibiotics, and he's doing much better now. I caught it very early. I would think that if you are observant and catch it early, most infections are easy to treat.

I had always read that birds will try to hide it if they're sick and you have to look out for anything unusual. And it's completely true. Chipper was still eating (although not quite as much), and he was still chirping and playing with his toys. I never would have known he was sick if I hadn't been paying attention and noticed his sneezing and running nose. Sure enough, when I took him to the vet and they did a culture, he was infected with two kinds of bacteria. Thank God I caught it and he's doing better now.

You can't wait until the bird is showing obvious signs that it's sick like not eating or no energy and sitting at the bottom of the cage, or breathing really hard all the time. By then, the poor birdie is really in trouble. :(

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
One thing I do each day is that I monitor my tiels weight. Usually quick weight loss will tell you if your bird is sick. Tango is approximately 95 grams and it's pretty consistent. Weighing your bird each day can be a helpful tool in monitoring your birds health. I ordered my from Topline Digital Scales and it has been very reliable.

I hope we get good news on Ageelooo..

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts