My cockatiels are fighting!

n.n

Sep 11, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels
Hello,
I have two cockatiels they mated and my female cockatiel laid three eggs this is their first time and they took care of the eggs and now 2/3 of the eggs hatched.
Every day I take the cockatiels out from their cages so they can fly and take some time off. when I take the female out, the male one takes care of the egg and same for the opposite. today wasn't the case so basically I took the female one out of the cage and after a while I noticed the male one is not in the nest and he is not taking care of the eggs so I panicked and took the female back in the cage so they would be equal and they will go back to taking care the eggs but they started fighting and screaming at eachother and my female cockatiel won't let the male one go into the nest so now my male cockatiel is out of the cage and I'm scared to put him back in what do I do???

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Sorry to hear your Cockatiels are fighting. I donā€™t have any experience with breeding or eggs - but it sounds like your female is being protective of the eggs. If they are fighting I would suggest keeping them separated to make sure one doesnā€™t get hurt.

Hoping someone else with more breeding experience can chime in here.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello,
I have two cockatiels they mated and my female cockatiel laid three eggs this is their first time and they took care of the eggs and now 2/3 of the eggs hatched.
Every day I take the cockatiels out from their cages so they can fly and take some time off. when I take the female out, the male one takes care of the egg and same for the opposite. today wasn't the case so basically I took the female one out of the cage and after a while I noticed the male one is not in the nest and he is not taking care of the eggs so I panicked and took the female back in the cage so they would be equal and they will go back to taking care the eggs but they started fighting and screaming at eachother and my female cockatiel won't let the male one go into the nest so now my male cockatiel is out of the cage and I'm scared to put him back in what do I do???
I would try putting the male back in the cage and see if they resolve their differences. Watch them closely and if after a few hours they are still fighting keep the male in a separate cage.
Where are the two chicks? Are they still in the nest? Are the parents feeding them?
If the parents stop fighting, get along, and feed the chicks I would stop giving them free flight time until the chicks are a couple weeks old. Let them concentrate on taking care of their chicks. They can exercise later in.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The normal routine for cockatiels is 12 hours on/12 hours off and the male/female break it up like a day shift/night shift kind of thing.
It sounds to me like their routine got disrupted by letting them out.
I didnā€™t let my breading pair out when they were with the babies, at till they no longer needed to be kept warm by the parents.
I donā€™t have a solution for the fighting.
I ended up with different problems.
my cockatiel parents started plucking the babies and I had to separate them early.

Most Reactions

Latest posts