my conure lost 5 feathers

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Hi, i know the title may not make sense but i mean it as in 5 feathers fell out.
I think i might kniw why but iam here to confirm.
Recently i had some issues finding food for my conure since the one seed mix he had has been totally used and i had to find a replacement. I got one who got most of his favorite seeds in it but when that ran out i had to buy another replacement and that had almost none his favorite seeds.
I bought the wrong one and he had it for about a month.
But in the in the span of two weeks 5 feathers fell out.
I know i sound like a bad parrot owner but i did not have any money to order food online and our pet stores suck in my city ( we only have 2 of the same pet store chain)
I love my bird and i dont wanna seem like i dont care about him.
Two days ago i bought him a new mix i randomly found in a normal store in the pet section and i feel like he quite likes this one.
I also wanna ask how do i change his diet? I wanna put him on pellets but i have been delaying it because everytime i ordered it i had a really busy week.
I apologize for my english its not my first language and i am quite tired right now.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi, i know the title may not make sense but i mean it as in 5 feathers fell out.
Recently i had some issues finding food for my conure since the one seed mix he had has been totally used and i had to find a replacement. I got one who got most of his favorite seeds in it but when that ran out i had to buy another replacement and that had almost none his favorite seeds.
I know i sound like a bad parrot owner but i did not have any money to order food online and our pet stores suck in my city ( we only have 2 of the same pet store chain)
Two days ago i bought him a new mix i randomly found in a normal store in the pet section and i feel like he quite likes this one.
I also wanna ask how do i change his diet? I wanna put him on pellets but i have been delaying it because everytime i ordered it i had a really busy week.
I apologize for my english its not my first language and i am quite tired right now.
Well him loosing feathers could be the beginning of him molting which is a normal process.
As far as changing him to pellets, first Iā€™d just offer them to him, sprinkle a few in his seeds and see if he eats them.
You might just get lucky and heā€™ll start eating the right away.
Itā€™s very important that you weigh him while changing his diet, you should use a gram scale to do so. Weigh him each morning before he eats breakfast and after he has his morning poop.
Does he eat and vegetables? Or fruit?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Are you in North America? My big guy has been blowing feathers this week. Freaked me out so bad I emailed his vet twice, until I realized he is *covered* in pinfeathers. I thought for sure heā€™d molted already, but I was wrong!

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
My conure just lost 2 large feathers, it is molting season for sure!

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Weight with a gram scale regularly is helpful for monitoring health. Paddy stays at 63 grams year after year.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Well him loosing feathers could be the beginning of him molting which is a normal process.
As far as changing him to pellets, first Iā€™d just offer them to him, sprinkle a few in his seeds and see if he eats them.
Itā€™s very important that you weigh him while changing his diet, you should use a gram scale to do so. Weigh him each morning before he eats breakfast and after he has his morning poop.
Yeah it's molting season in the north......I wouldn't worry to much unless you see plucking.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I have a total of 6 birds in my flock and it seems like I always have at least one of them molting all the time.... all year long... constantly vacuuming feathers up... lol .. get used to it .... personally I like saving the long tail feathers... I especially like the maroon feathers from the green cheeked conures tail

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
well i cant weigh him bcs he still doesnt trust me that much or how to call it, heā€™ll just sometimes eat from my hand but wont go on it but i feel like were making progress on that, but anoher problem is now he wont even eat his seeds, im not sure why, he was esting them before and now nothing, or it varies i feel like i spoiled him the last few days with treats or he picks out this im not sure what it is but its like a orange ball? from his seed mix? Sometimes be eats the seeds sometimes not, i feel like thats going to be a problem when changing to pellets no?
Again sorry for my english

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
well i cant weigh him bcs he still doesnt trust me that much or how to call it, heā€™ll just sometimes eat from my hand but wont go on it but i feel like were making progress on that, but anoher problem is now he wont even eat his seeds, im not sure why, he was esting them before and now nothing, or it varies i feel like i spoiled him the last few days with treats or he picks out this im not sure what it is but its like a orange ball? from his seed mix? Sometimes be eats the seeds sometimes not, i feel like thats going to be a problem when changing to pellets no?
Again sorry for my english
Could you take a picture of his food? So we can see what the little orange balls heā€™s eating are?
Could you post a picture of him too?
Iā€™m sorry youā€™re going through this.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Could you take a picture of his food? So we can see what the little orange balls heā€™s eating are?
Could you post a picture of him too?
Iā€™m sorry youā€™re going through this.
Oh definitely, I will be home in a bit so when I come home I will send the pictures asap.
Also a little bit of an update, I let Kiwi out ( my conure ) and when he came into the cage he started eating the mix again (or I think atleast I saw him eat a few times) so maybe he just wanted to go outside and he was treating the orange balls as a snack?
I would send a picture of Kiwi but I dont have a recent one so yeah, not sure why im scared that maybe hes sick or ive been handling him wrong D:
And its okay, im happy theres people willing to help, thank god for forums, dont know what I would do without em.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh definitely, I will be home in a bit so when I come home I will send the pictures asap.
Also a little bit of an update, I let Kiwi out ( my conure ) and when he came into the cage he started eating the mix again (or I think atleast I saw him eat a few times) so maybe he just wanted to go outside and he was treating the orange balls as a snack?
I would send a picture of Kiwi but I dont have a recent one so yeah, not sure why im scared that maybe hes sick or ive been handling him wrong D:
And its okay, im happy theres people willing to help, thank god for forums, dont know what I would do without em.
Does he act normal otherwise? He had lots of energy, plays with toys, etc?
Is the only thing heā€™ll eat is that mix?

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Im not sure what lots of energy means, Well he kind of broke his toys so I gotta get him new ones, or the ones he played w the most, it was like little balls and they cracked. I also feed him vegetables and fruits but not everyday.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
This is him and the food, on the right side of the mix you can see the balls, im not sure if its the best mix. I dont live in the states so im not sure where to buy seed mixes here since our city has not very good petstores and theyre from the same chain

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 27

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The orange balls look like red milo I believe.
Your conure looks healthy. Does he eat the veg/fruit that you give him?

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
The orange balls look like red milo I believe.
Your conure looks healthy. Does he eat the veg/fruit that you give him?
Im not sure whats red milo šŸ˜­ But ill use google translate later, you dont even wanna know how long it took me to figure out whats a millet. And you dont know how relieved i am that he looks healthy ;D, he sometimes does, but I know he prefers fruit more. Melons, grapes and stuff like that.

Most Reactions