Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Fresh from the oven.

IMG-20140215-00799_zpsf967a51b.jpg

Sliced

IMG-20140215-00800_zpsc11946da.jpg

And cut into cubes. I also cut a few thin slices and cut them into squares to dry out in the oven for biscuits.

IMG-20140215-00802_zpsf00066cd.jpg

Percy approves! :D

IMG-20140215-00801_zps016497b3.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That looks yummy! What did you put in it?

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
That looks yummy! What did you put in it?

You mean to tell me you can't see the kitchen sink there in the corner of the baking dish? ;)

I made it up as I went along. All the recipes I could find online started with some or other ready-mix that I can't get here. So I sort of went with my experience in making rusks ;)

It contains - DRY INGR : Parrot pellets (because he woneat them unless I disguise them) wholewheat flour, sesame seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cinnamon and ginger. Oh, and the washed, dried, crushed shells of the eggs I used.

WET/FRESH INGR : chopped or grated spinach, snap peas, green beans, purple cabbage, carrot, sweet potato, a radish, a fat chilli, red sweet peppers, apple, some left over cooked butternut, corn and peas.

Mixed in two eggs, a bit of organic orange blossom honey and a splash of organic greek yoghurt to moisten. That's it. It came out dense and heavy, ideal for freezing in little cubes.

Percy loves it! He ate the test cube I gave him and then stole another piece while I was packing them!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That sounds great! I just made a batch earlier this week, and whenever I make something different, the only ones who eat is are the finches. I threw everything but the kitchen sink in it..lol. Ekko actually ate some yesterday:)

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
Looks great,send a little over here ,would you?;)
The first birdy bread i made,made all the birds here run away lol

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Looks real good! I'm a bird bread maker as well, and some of your ingredients have just been stolen- thank you :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow that Percy is such a lucky boy. Looks good. I bet it tastes good too... Did ya try it?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Great job! My first batch didn't turn out nearly that well. All my birds love birdie bread. My cockatoo won't touch a lot of the ingredient that are good for him unless they are cooked in bread.

Most Reactions