My first conure

Ck@rjc

May 13, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I do have experience in raising several species of birds but when they passed away (due to age) I was heart broken everytime and kept saying, I will never do this to myself again but I am a sucker for animals and I keep falling in love with another baby (regardless of age) every time I see them. However, today, I had a calling to visit my local chain pet store as I was driving to get essentials for my new home. I usually stray away because I want to take every one of their babies, all species, home. Gets me EVERY time. I happened to walk by a green cheek conure this day. I actually wasn't even paying attention to him at the time but instead admiring how beautiful their finches were. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see this little beautiful baby come out of his corner and monkey bar his way to me and start staring me up and down. I put my finger to the glass and he did the usual inspecting bite. He was not angry with me being there nor aggressive about it and he also came to me on his own. No I don't feel special because his species is a social bird and wants attention, but the unprovoked attention is what got me. I spoke to him through the glass and used my facial expressions (which I believe "parrots" learn). I left the store and I just could not get this little guy off my mind. Husband said, "Animals bring you so much joy. So if you feel like he belongs in our family, we will go back." Now again, I am experienced in birds but I have never owned a conure or parrot. I researched and researched and determined that I could in fact provide what he needs but was still undecided if I was willling to commit to the longevity in which I knew my heart would break even more. I will not lie, I have not owned a conure so I'm new here. However, I did know that I could love him and provide. I left the store, as I said, with a heavy heart that he did not belong in that place and he needed his forever home and it was with us. I have 4 children and a spouse and we love on EVERY animal we own or have owned just as they are a part of the family. I bought stuff for him before I even decided if I was going to bring him home. I spent several hours doing more research and talking with the husband and we heavily went over the cons as I do with every animal I bring into my home. I went back to the pet store and I just walked passed his cage as if I was just shopping, and I could see him out of the corner of my eye jump down from his perch and give me the, "Get me the hell out of here look." OK, you are coming home with me I said lol. As I was picking out more toys and such, I told my husband to hurry and get someone before someone else decided they wanted him. I hated that they used a device to capture him. I thought for sure I'm going to get this traumatized, attack bird. So I sign the papers and I leave with him and his new environment, toys, temporary food (I plan to purchase a more natural pellet), and everything else he would need to get him through the first night. As I mentioned, I am in the process of moving so as I'm preparing my new home, I have to drive to pick up my kids whom I'm letting finish out the school year in their current school which is about an hour drive. So as we are driving, I'm peeking into his little transport box and I can't stand that he is alone and scared. Now everything I've read up until this point has told me, don't touch them, let them explore their new cage and environment first or you will stress them out way too much. But me being me and as scared as I was to get bit for about the millionth time but by a harder biting bird, I opened the box. He immediately climbed to the top. I didn't attempt to touch or pick him up. I just let him explore as he felt comfortable. 15 min into our car ride, he finally climbed out and onto my shoulder. I was shocked but mostly scared he would attack or bite because he was scared and stressed. I remained calm but kept my face turned away while speaking softly. Fast forward about 45 min and he was already comfortable with his papa (my husband) and all of our kids. He was given the option to choose who he went to and when. He spent the last 15 min of the car ride with the kids after hopping back there himself. I manage to get him back into the box as we arrived at the new house but he was not happy about it. I get him in the door and into a safe, quiet room and he climbs right out and onto my shoulder again. I am shocked at this point. Everything I've researched or have been told is that I would have to gain this birds trust over time but he has fit right into our cooky family and has already been dancing with the kids to music etc. Takes food right out of our hands, climbs on us, wants to play in water, all of it. But here is my concern. He WILL NOT go to bed without one of us present. I have put the blanket over the cage, put him in a quiet dark room, provided a hanging bed for him to sleep in, provided food and water, played soft music, etc. But if I leave the room, he screams. I know it is his first night but I do not want to develop this habit or encourage it. Yes I do know they are loud and will be when they want and that is not what bothers me. I'm concerned he will not get the required amount of sleep he needs. It's like having a new born baby again lol. My son and I bathed him and wrapped him in a warm towel and spoke softly and kind of treated him as you would a baby you are trying to get to bed and that seemed to calm him for an hour or so but then he wakes up screaming and the only way he will stop is if someone comes and sits with him. Is this just a temporary thing because he is scared? Are there any tips/tricks I could try? I'll do whatever it takes because they said he was already returned once and that just broke my heart for him even more. I'm not willing to give up on him. I just need to learn his personality but I don't think this will be healthy for him in the long run. He has his first vet check Monday. Hopefully we will all get some sleep by then lol. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Love,
A tired bird mom

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I do have experience in raising several species of birds but when they passed away (due to age) I was heart broken everytime and kept saying, I will never do this to myself again but I am a sucker for animals and I keep falling in love with another baby (regardless of age) every time I see them. However, today, I had a calling to visit my local chain pet store as I was driving to get essentials for my new home. I usually stray away because I want to take every one of their babies, all species, home. Gets me EVERY time. I happened to walk by a green cheek conure this day. I actually wasn't even paying attention to him at the time but instead admiring how beautiful their finches were. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see this little beautiful baby come out of his corner and monkey bar his way to me and start staring me up and down. I put my finger to the glass and he did the usual inspecting bite. He was not angry with me being there nor aggressive about it and he also came to me on his own. No I don't feel special because his species is a social bird and wants attention, but the unprovoked attention is what got me. I spoke to him through the glass and used my facial expressions (which I believe "parrots" learn). I left the store and I just could not get this little guy off my mind. Husband said, "Animals bring you so much joy. So if you feel like he belongs in our family, we will go back." Now again, I am experienced in birds but I have never owned a conure or parrot. I researched and researched and determined that I could in fact provide what he needs but was still undecided if I was willling to commit to the longevity in which I knew my heart would break even more. I will not lie, I have not owned a conure so I'm new here. However, I did know that I could love him and provide. I left the store, as I said, with a heavy heart that he did not belong in that place and he needed his forever home and it was with us. I have 4 children and a spouse and we love on EVERY animal we own or have owned just as they are a part of the family. I bought stuff for him before I even decided if I was going to bring him home. I spent several hours doing more research and talking with the husband and we heavily went over the cons as I do with every animal I bring into my home. I went back to the pet store and I just walked passed his cage as if I was just shopping, and I could see him out of the corner of my eye jump down from his perch and give me the, "Get me the hell out of here look." OK, you are coming home with me I said lol. As I was picking out more toys and such, I told my husband to hurry and get someone before someone else decided they wanted him. I hated that they used a device to capture him. I thought for sure I'm going to get this traumatized, attack bird. So I sign the papers and I leave with him and his new environment, toys, temporary food (I plan to purchase a more natural pellet), and everything else he would need to get him through the first night. As I mentioned, I am in the process of moving so as I'm preparing my new home, I have to drive to pick up my kids whom I'm letting finish out the school year in their current school which is about an hour drive. So as we are driving, I'm peeking into his little transport box and I can't stand that he is alone and scared. Now everything I've read up until this point has told me, don't touch them, let them explore their new cage and environment first or you will stress them out way too much. But me being me and as scared as I was to get bit for about the millionth time but by a harder biting bird, I opened the box. He immediately climbed to the top. I didn't attempt to touch or pick him up. I just let him explore as he felt comfortable. 15 min into our car ride, he finally climbed out and onto my shoulder. I was shocked but mostly scared he would attack or bite because he was scared and stressed. I remained calm but kept my face turned away while speaking softly. Fast forward about 45 min and he was already comfortable with his papa (my husband) and all of our kids. He was given the option to choose who he went to and when. He spent the last 15 min of the car ride with the kids after hopping back there himself. I manage to get him back into the box as we arrived at the new house but he was not happy about it. I get him in the door and into a safe, quiet room and he climbs right out and onto my shoulder again. I am shocked at this point. Everything I've researched or have been told is that I would have to gain this birds trust over time but he has fit right into our cooky family and has already been dancing with the kids to music etc. Takes food right out of our hands, climbs on us, wants to play in water, all of it. But here is my concern. He WILL NOT go to bed without one of us present. I have put the blanket over the cage, put him in a quiet dark room, provided a hanging bed for him to sleep in, provided food and water, played soft music, etc. But if I leave the room, he screams. I know it is his first night but I do not want to develop this habit or encourage it. Yes I do know they are loud and will be when they want and that is not what bothers me. I'm concerned he will not get the required amount of sleep he needs. It's like having a new born baby again lol. My son and I bathed him and wrapped him in a warm towel and spoke softly and kind of treated him as you would a baby you are trying to get to bed and that seemed to calm him for an hour or so but then he wakes up screaming and the only way he will stop is if someone comes and sits with him. Is this just a temporary thing because he is scared? Are there any tips/tricks I could try? I'll do whatever it takes because they said he was already returned once and that just broke my heart for him even more. I'm not willing to give up on him. I just need to learn his personality but I don't think this will be healthy for him in the long run. He has his first vet check Monday. Hopefully we will all get some sleep by then lol. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Love,
A tired bird mom
Whatā€™s your little manā€™s name? ;)

As for the waking up screaming, Iā€™d say heā€™s doing it because heā€™s in a new environment.
Iā€™d give him a few more weeks to see if the behavior changes or stops.

Thatā€™s awesome that heā€™s already so accepting of people!
When you said you bathed him, you mean he took a bath right?

Congratulations on your new conure!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Love,
A tired bird mom
It sounds like you found each other and this is just the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
What a beautiful story! It reminds me a bit of how I found my baby. Congratulations. Your new Conure will bring you so much joy.

Pictures of the baby?!

As for the screaming, have you tried a night light? I used one for my GCC about the first week or so she was home. Might be worth trying.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
If he wasn't covered at night at the store perhaps that bothers him. Try not covering and let him see the dark approaching naturally and see what happens.

OP
C

Ck@rjc

May 13, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
If he wasn't covered at night at the store perhaps that bothers him. Try not covering and let him see the dark approaching naturally and see what happens.
We tried leaving his cover off and he was flying at the cage walls trying to get to us last night. I know I did the wrong thing and let him out on his cage for a little bit longer but then we put him back to bed as he got sleepy and left his cover half on half off. Got to talking and realized he had finally fallen asleep! Thank you for the advice!

OP
C

Ck@rjc

May 13, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
What a beautiful story! It reminds me a bit of how I found my baby. Congratulations. Your new Conure will bring you so much joy.

Pictures of the baby?!

As for the screaming, have you tried a night light? I used one for my GCC about the first week or so she was home. Might be worth trying.

Pictures of the baby?!

Attachments

• 20230513_140210.jpg
    20230513_140210.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230513_192048.jpg
    20230513_192048.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 40
OP
C

Ck@rjc

May 13, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Whatā€™s your little manā€™s name? ;)

As for the waking up screaming, Iā€™d say heā€™s doing it because heā€™s in a new environment.
Iā€™d give him a few more weeks to see if the behavior changes or stops.

Thatā€™s awesome that heā€™s already so accepting of people!
When you said you bathed him, you mean he took a bath right?

Congratulations on your new conure!
His name is Skittles. He did much better last night but we did sleep in longer than norm yesterday šŸ˜„. Yes, I meant he took a bath lol

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We tried leaving his cover off and he was flying at the cage walls trying to get to us last night. I know I did the wrong thing and let him out on his cage for a little bit longer but then we put him back to bed as he got sleepy and left his cover half on half off. Got to talking and realized he had finally fallen asleep! Thank you for the advice!
I like to put my birds' covers half on half off all the time. Good compromise.

Most Reactions

Latest posts