My first rescue bird and my first older parrot.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
The ironic twist of fate here is that it is going to be something very simple that sets her off ... you are going to drop a potato chip on the carpet and she's going to pluck herself like a Thanksgiving turkey ... :LOL: ... that's not funny, but IF it were to happen (and I pray that it doesn't) it's going to be something really simple that starts it ... hopefully she will adjust quickly to her new home and settle into her new flock without any issues ... and, good for you rescuing a great bird ...

OP
quakerxxoats

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Coconut-the albino 'tiel, mango-the peachfaced lovebird, waffles-the parakeet, Lucy and Lulu-Jenday conures, and Cookie-The rescue sun conure
The ironic twist of fate here is that it is going to be something very simple that sets her off ... you are going to drop a potato chip on the carpet and she's going to pluck herself like a Thanksgiving turkey ... :LOL: ... that's not funny, but IF it were to happen (and I pray that it doesn't) it's going to be something really simple that starts it ... hopefully she will adjust quickly to her new home and settle into her new flock without any issues ... and, good for you rescuing a great bird ...

Wow, way to kill my moment, huh? But that's also good to know-that little things might set her off.

My jenday conures were so upset because we have people painting the outside of the house. Whenever they see ladders or any of the guys painting, they panic. Our other birds, the 'tiel, lovebird and the parakeet who can also see them, are completely fine with it. But it drives the jendays into a screaming panic. When they paint that side of the house (outside their window) we're going to have to move their into another room. I hope they don't start plucking or anything...

I'll make sure to be careful about changes in her environment. :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Change is a big thing with a lot of birds. But we've had Gemini (tiel) ever since he was a baby, and he's never plucked until a couple of years ago, when he had a particularly bad molt, now his back, legs and under wings are completely bare, he is letting feathers grow back on his chest now. :D I guess what I'm saying here is we never can tell, if or when they may pluck. Hopefully he'll never feel the need to do so.

I've also known people to get birds because they match their living room. :eek: and it would be lovely to have in a corner. :mad: Made me real angry I can tell ya.

OP
quakerxxoats

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Coconut-the albino 'tiel, mango-the peachfaced lovebird, waffles-the parakeet, Lucy and Lulu-Jenday conures, and Cookie-The rescue sun conure
I've also known people to get birds because they match their living room. :eek: and it would be lovely to have in a corner. :mad: Made me real angry I can tell ya.

I have a feeling that's what may have happened with Cookie. :(

But I have some good news. As soon as I put her fresh food (veggies, fruit, sprouts, etc) in her cage this morning, she want right over to the food dish and started to eat some grapes and some corn!!!!! From what I've heard, she's never had fresh food before, so this is such a surprise! And I saw her playing with the metal chain that holds up one of her toys!! I'm so happy I could cry right now. :D:D:D:D:D

What I find interesting is that I haven't seen her go down to her food dish when I put seed in it. I have hand fed her some sunflower seeds, dried fruit, and other bits of the mix we feed, and she even took a pellet from my hand, but I haven't seen her go down to the dish herself. She could have done it when I wasn't looking though.

EDIT: I'm also looking into a larger cage for her. The one we have is nice, but I'd like her to have something a bit bigger. I found this online, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get her a new cage now or to let her settle in first.

Here's the link to the one I found online that I really liked:

http://birdcages4less.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=B/PROD/Small_Bird_Cages/PA5739

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
dance.gif
dance.gif
That is great news I'm so happy for ya.

OP
quakerxxoats

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Here she is! By the way, the mirror in the background isn't visable from her cage. I just wanted to point that out before I get jumped on about the whole mirror debate. The second picture was taken from about 5 ft outside her cage with the door open. She was a bit camera shy. Thank god for the zoom feature!

Attachments

• cookie1.jpg
    cookie1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 257
  • cookie hiding.jpg
    cookie hiding.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 272

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Here she is! ... The second picture was taken from about 5 ft outside her cage with the door open. She was a bit camera shy. Thank god for the zoom feature!

Simply...gorgeous!!! Cookie is so brilliant, just love the colors! (And, yes, I cannot live with the zoom on my camera! LOL).

:60: :smile019: :jumping40: :heart:

OP
quakerxxoats

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Simply...gorgeous!!! Cookie is so brilliant, just love the colors! (And, yes, I cannot live with the zoom on my camera! LOL).

:60: :smile019: :jumping40: :heart:

Thank you! :D:D:D
All my birds are scared of cameras, so I have to use the zoom to avoid scaring them.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
What a beautiful baby! Congrats and thank you for giving Cookie a good loving home.

OP
quakerxxoats

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
What a beautiful baby! Congrats and thank you for giving Cookie a good loving home.

Thanks.

And I'm glad I got her. It feels great to know that I'm giving her a good home. It's very rewarding. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
She is beautiful, She deserves her forever home, You are an angel Thank you for giving her what she deserves. :07:

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
The cage you found is very nice, I liked it a lot!:)

It's spacy and you can add many toys in it!

If you think you want it, go on and buy it!:emoticonc

OP
quakerxxoats

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
The cage you found is very nice, I liked it a lot!:)

It's spacy and you can add many toys in it!

If you think you want it, go on and buy it!:emoticonc

I actually ended up getting her a different cage that's about the same size as the one I have for my 2 jendays. It was used, but in good condition. I made sure to wash it and disinfect it before I used it and she likes it. :D

Most Reactions