My girls eat everything but the pellets.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Me again, it's one of those days... I've been trying to find a pellet that my girls would actually eat without possibly having to go thru all the offers on the market. It's an expense but it looks like I will have to. What can I do WITHOUT throwing them out, to the failed pellets? Is there a recipe, that the girls will enjoy, I can put them in to not waste them?
Currently it's Hagen Tropimix. I got the one suggested for my birds size, no go, so have now bought the next one down, the one for smaller breeds and nope, still no go. They will eat everything BUT THE PELLETS.
Also, when it comes to feeding, my birds don't sit at one feeding time, i.e. they don't sit down to breakfast and then it's done till next meal time, they snack, or graze or, well do what birds do naturally... they eat like sparrows, little but often. How do the rest of you treat feeding your flock? Is it sit down or snack on?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oven baked bites
I crumbles and mix pellets on everything, cooked oatmeal, mix with thst chic pea cooked pasta and veggies

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oven baked bites
I crumbles and mix pellets on everything, cooked oatmeal, mix with thst chic pea cooked pasta and veggies
So the cooked oatmeal is what holds it all together? I'm not a cook at all so I need a lot of help. How hot the oven and how long do you cook it for?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I make oatmeal like I would eat, then I flavor with cinnamon and mix in the pellets and serve warm, they suspect nothing lol

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
I make oatmeal like I would eat, then I flavor with cinnamon and mix in the pellets and serve warm, they suspect nothing lol
Oatmeal made with milk or water? I'm no cook so forgive my ignorance. Also are pellets sweet or savoury? Does it matter to birds? I see some add veggies and fruit into one thing and I think "yuck veggies and fruit together??" But if the birds don't distinguish the difference then I guess they would eat it.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
made with water. Milk isn't ok, while yogurt with live culture breaks down the lactose and is safe.

Birds can really like tart , bitter , spicy stuff. I do keep veggies and fruit separate. But I mix ground up pellets with each.

Mine do est pellets , but leave a lot of crumbs, and so instead if wasted I mix in anything I can lol .
Like if I make quinoa and add strir fry veggies, I take a little of thst for the burds and stir in pellets crumbs

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
made with water. Milk isn't ok, while yogurt with live culture breaks down the lactose and is safe.

Birds can really like tart , bitter , spicy stuff. I do keep veggies and fruit separate. But I mix ground up pellets with each.

Mine do est pellets , but leave a lot of crumbs, and so instead if wasted I mix in anything I can lol .
Like if I make quinoa and add strir fry veggies, I take a little of thst for the burds and stir in pellets crumbs
Wonderful ideas. Thank you so much. I'm a bit surprised by the waste of food from them. I was wondering about milk too so good to know to not use it. I am also surprised at the peanut smell of the Tropimix and wonder just how much of it is peanuts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts