Cockatiel: Wall-E
Indian Ringneck: Pui
Crimson Bellied Conure: Gizmo
Sun Conure: Kai
White Bellied Caique: Hoki
Black Headed Caique: LaoBan
Goffin's Cockatoo: Ollie
African Grey:
Mod note: Relocated from older thread, quote retained for context.
When I first decided to get my own parrot when I was a kid the first bird I considered buying was an adult Goffin cockatoo named Angel. I ended up getting a pet store sun conure instead, which was a huge mistake. This bird kind of scared me when I went to meet her, grabbed me on the ear. I've since never seen or handled a goffin cockatoo again. I fostered a bare eyed for a short time but he was extremely afraid of almost everything and would not come out of the cage for his stay with us. Now recently I've been seeing people selling Goffin cockatoos and it got me thinking. Are they as loud as their umbrella cousins? Because I've worked with the large cockatoos and it was not easy to deal with the extreme noise. Are they cuddly like the big cockatoos? In most videos I see of them they are jumping around and dancing. They seem very energetic. Can someone that has one tell me a little about their experience with their bird?

First of all, I never own an umbrella cockatoo... But once I had a medium sulphur crested cockatoo, which is very loud and crazy... by the time, I got traumatized owning a cockatoo, but still dreaming of having one.. the small version of cockatoo, like goffin's or bare-eyed.

Anyway, now I adopt a re-homed goffin's. He has been with me for almost a month, but our adaptation went smoothly, including my blood, his dance, his scream... Until today, he always search for me and screaming dramatically if he couldn't find me on his sight. I still got bitten daily, and he requires my blood. He is a happy go lucky baby, and my macaw got jealous of him. Both can scream constantly, just to prove "i am louder than you, and I can get mommy's attention".

Have you noticed that goffin's has white greyish beak, while his bigger cousing such umbrella toos, sulphur crested, mollucan, has black beak? Once I visited a pet store and the owner (he is experienced bird keeper) told me that white-greyish beak has tendency to be naughty, cheers, and super energetic , while their black beaks cousins tend to be calmer, cuddly, and sweet.
And that's true.. My goffin's can dance non-stop or run anywhere like he has never get exhausted or tired. In the first moment Olly came to my house, I chased him around the house because he wanted my bread on the table (without being shy, as a new bird). LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your flock! Congratulations for your Goffins, smallest cockatoo with huge personality!

Goffins can be neurotic and may desire constant company of their "human." This may be what you have begun to experience. How much time per day do you spend with this bird? It may be helpful to teach him to self-entertain and enjoy time alone. A large cage filled with toys is helpful. Goffins often prefer wooden chew-toys, they can enjoy large macaw-sized blocks and quickly turn them into toothpicks!

Might try Bite Pressure Training for a more comfortable relationship! A Goffns bite can be hurtful given their beak shape and strength: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html

Have never heard the light vs dark beak behavioral theory!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Mod note: Relocated from older thread, quote retained for context.
When I first decided to get my own parrot when I was a kid the first bird I considered buying was an adult Goffin cockatoo named Angel. I ended up getting a pet store sun conure instead, which was a huge mistake. This bird kind of scared me when I went to meet her, grabbed me on the ear. I've since never seen or handled a goffin cockatoo again. I fostered a bare eyed for a short time but he was extremely afraid of almost everything and would not come out of the cage for his stay with us. Now recently I've been seeing people selling Goffin cockatoos and it got me thinking. Are they as loud as their umbrella cousins? Because I've worked with the large cockatoos and it was not easy to deal with the extreme noise. Are they cuddly like the big cockatoos? In most videos I see of them they are jumping around and dancing. They seem very energetic. Can someone that has one tell me a little about their experience with their bird?

First of all, I never own an umbrella cockatoo... But once I had a medium sulphur crested cockatoo, which is very loud and crazy... by the time, I got traumatized owning a cockatoo, but still dreaming of having one.. the small version of cockatoo, like goffin's or bare-eyed.

Anyway, now I adopt a re-homed goffin's. He has been with me for almost a month, but our adaptation went smoothly, including my blood, his dance, his scream... Until today, he always search for me and screaming dramatically if he couldn't find me on his sight. I still got bitten daily, and he requires my blood. He is a happy go lucky baby, and my macaw got jealous of him. Both can scream constantly, just to prove "i am louder than you, and I can get mommy's attention".

Have you noticed that goffin's has white greyish beak, while his bigger cousing such umbrella toos, sulphur crested, mollucan, has black beak? Once I visited a pet store and the owner (he is experienced bird keeper) told me that white-greyish beak has tendency to be naughty, cheers, and super energetic , while their black beaks cousins tend to be calmer, cuddly, and sweet.
And that's true.. My goffin's can dance non-stop or run anywhere like he has never get exhausted or tired. In the first moment Olly came to my house, I chased him around the house because he wanted my bread on the table (without being shy, as a new bird). LOL

lol- they all should all have grey beaks as adults because it comes from their powder-down (it's a sign they are healthy and preening regularly--but your breeder is probably right that healthy birds are sassy/mischievous sick birds are calmer lol).
EDIT: I think I know what you mean now-- in terms of Goffins vs other types of "Toos" (whoops)

I talk some about planned ignoring of screaming behavior in 2 replies on this thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/86786-need-help-bird-upsetting-whole-family.html

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts