My heartfelt plea to all budgie owners, new and old.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So I've noticed many people say that budgie's singing means they're happy. ALWAYS. I know that isn't the case.

Budgies can sing because they're scared (to self-soothe/soothe others), sick (to distract from pain or difficulty breathing, to soothe other budgie's anxiety, etc.), or when bored (to entertain themselves/others).

Like the quote "We think cag'd birds sing, when indeed they cry" (John Webster, The White Devil, Act 5), budgies singing can mean any number of things. I think it is often harder to understand when budgies are upset, because they really are these optimistic little beings that try to see the silver lining to every storm cloud, and try to make the best of every situation.

So, I think it's time we change our mentality about budgie singing, and try to understand these complex little beings better. They can be very easy, or very hard to read, because they have emotions, just like big birds do. My plea is that we see them as equal to the big birds, and we stop locking them up in cages, selling these extremely intelligent and friendly little guys for only $25, and not treating them like you would a big bird because they can't bite your finger off.

Also, I see many people trying to breed these little guys with almost NO knowledge. That is not fair to them. They deserve a knowladgeable keeper and a good life. Clipping wings as fledglings is (in my opinion), very cruel. They do not develop confidence in themselves, nor do they develop self control in this crucial time of development.

Alright, I'm done with my rant now. Not saying any of you guys are doing these things. And I do know this is kind of a confusing post, I'm sorry, I just typed up everything I wanted changed about our mentality towards budgies.

-Ollie (and Stormy, Picasso, Pepper, and Apollo)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
When I tell my mom that my birds might be sick, she often says, "But they're singing.." so I tell her that when they're sick(just like humans), they do have their moments where they have a little bit more energy.

Thanks for this post, I hope more people see this

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
When I tell my mom that my birds might be sick, she often says, "But they're singing.." so I tell her that when they're sick(just like humans), they do have their moments where they have a little bit more energy.

Thank you! I have scared my budgies before (mainly by falling into their bird tree), and they were singing seconds later to self-soothe.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm new to budgies, I rescued 6 what I've learned is just let them be themselves and free to fly around the room and they will chirp whenever they are free. Also when I show up they chirp so I think it means yay free time!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sunny was singing when I clipped her nails, and I know for a fact that she was doing it to calm herself, because she was trying to escape my hands and bite me.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
So I've noticed many people say that budgie's singing means they're happy. ALWAYS. I know that isn't the case.

Budgies can sing because they're scared (to self-soothe/soothe others), sick (to distract from pain or difficulty breathing, to soothe other budgie's anxiety, etc.), or when bored (to entertain themselves/others).

Like the quote "We think cag'd birds sing, when indeed they cry" (John Webster, The White Devil, Act 5), budgies singing can mean any number of things. I think it is often harder to understand when budgies are upset, because they really are these optimistic little beings that try to see the silver lining to every storm cloud, and try to make the best of every situation.

So, I think it's time we change our mentality about budgie singing, and try to understand these complex little beings better. They can be very easy, or very hard to read, because they have emotions, just like big birds do. My plea is that we see them as equal to the big birds, and we stop locking them up in cages, selling these extremely intelligent and friendly little guys for only $25, and not treating them like you would a big bird because they can't bite your finger off.

Also, I see many people trying to breed these little guys with almost NO knowledge. That is not fair to them. They deserve a knowladgeable keeper and a good life. Clipping wings as fledglings is (in my opinion), very cruel. They do not develop confidence in themselves, nor do they develop self control in this crucial time of development.

Alright, I'm done with my rant now. Not saying any of you guys are doing these things. And I do know this is kind of a confusing post, I'm sorry, I just typed up everything I wanted changed about our mentality towards budgies.

-Ollie (and Stormy, Picasso, Pepper, and Apollo)
People think budgies don't need the same treatment like other parrots because they simply think "They're not parrots".
They need the equal love and attention just as much as any other bird, maybe more since they're really social.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Sunny was singing when I clipped her nails, and I know for a fact that she was doing it to calm herself, because she was trying to escape my hands and bite me.
Who trims their nails in the wild?

onehalfoften

Sep 22, 2022
Media
Parrots
Double yellow Head. And budgie's

You need to understand what they are saying like I can tell when my budgie's are scared or just see something out of their window or happy singing my budgie's do sing most of the time and they are happy

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Who trims their nails in the wild?
Her nails were sharp. Thing is, in the wild, they do lots of activities thatshorten their nails. I rarely clip their nails, only if they start to hurt me.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
One good aspect of how Budgies are generally viewed and cared for, compared to other parrots, is that Budgies get to live with other Budgies. It seems quite normal for a person to buy more than one Budgie at once, and keep them together. Few other parrot species get that element of quality of life. Parrots are flock animals, flocks of the same species--and they interact physically with each other. It is their nature.

I'd say most parrots, other than Budgies, have never seen a parrot of their own species after being pulled from the nest at the breeder. Having conspecific interaction in their youth is part of a healthy upbringing. Few parrots get that healthy upbringing, then, they have behavioral problems to show for it.

I have taken on 6 forever-home parrots (one now deceased), 3 fosters, and a number of boarders. It turns out to be quite unusual for them to be okay with another parrot, of the same species or very similar (two Eupsittula Conures, for example) coming close to them or making contact. That is beyond sad.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Her nails were sharp. Thing is, in the wild, they do lots of activities thatshorten their nails. I rarely clip their nails, only if they start to hurt me.
I got my Timneh his own large river rocks at my local hardscaping store. Grady loves to stand on a rock. :] And, it takes just the slightest bit of sharpness off his nails, force-free, stress-free. Win-win.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I did get my bird nail trimming perches(specifically calcium perches) but they don't work. I try to trim the nails as quick as possible, and if thr bird is too stressed out, I do it another day. I give them lots of treats afterwards.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
I did get my bird nail trimming perches(specifically calcium perches) but they don't work. I try to trim the nails as quick as possible, and if thr bird is too stressed out, I do it another day. I give them lots of treats afterwards.
I don't trim nails, but I thought this was a great force-free technique:

She has other, and longer videos on the topic, too.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
I got my Timneh his own large river rocks at my local hardscaping store. Grady loves to stand on a rock. :] And, it takes just the slightest bit of sharpness off his nails, force-free, stress-free. Win-win.
Can you show what kind? Just smooth rock? Do you have to treat it before you give it to the bird?

My parakeet liked to stand on a conch shell, but I put it away because I didnt know if they shellacked the outer shell, or if the shell itself is salty and not good for him to pick at.

I hate this about trying to make their environment more natural for them, nearly anything you do will kill them, it seems πŸ˜’

Most Reactions

Latest posts