My latest Campaign.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Today I was out visiting a pet store when I noticed a lovely little Rosella, he really caught my eye. When he came closer I noticed, what I thought, was something stuck to his foot, when I took a closer look it turned out to be his nail, now this nail was 5/6 times longer than it should have been. Nails on both feet were very overgrown, but this nail was incredible. I called one of the staff over and pointed it out, he then went to talk to his Manager and her response had me shocked.

"Yes we have noticed the nail for the last few days, but we don't know of a vet in the area" :eek: Do they not have a vet?

When I got home I looked in the phone book and found about 9 vets in the area, they weren't avian vets but they could have cut the birds nails. I gave them my avian vets name and number, who by the way is only about 1/2 hours drive from the shop. I ended up phoning the head office who have promised they will send someone out to look at the bird, they have assured me they do have vets to look after their birds, and will be investigating this manager. I don't intend to take this laying down I will be going back to the shop to make sure that it is done and if not then I will be phoning up the RSPCA right there in the shop.

If this little guy was to catch is nail on the bars of the cage he would end up doing some serious damage to himself, which could prove fatal for the little guy. I just cannot believe that the manager didn't think this was worth calling a vet out to look at him. But at the same time these birds cannot have been seen by a vet of any kind since they were brought into the shop, so how do they know for sure that they don't have a diesese of some sort. What a way to run a store. :mad:

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
It really is a shame that there are pet stores like that around. I have seen some pretty sickening stuff in some of the pet shops I have been in. I am one of those who feels that ignorance is NOT a valid excuse. Anyone working around animals should have at least some knowledge about those animals before being allowed to work there and at least a touch of COMMON SENSE!

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is very true, unfortunately I don't think these people had any idea's. If I'd asked them to point out a Rosella they probably wouldn't have been able to do so. I have written a letter to the Head Office now, stating just that, hopefully something will be done. I have also been in touch with a Rescue Centre and have asked them what else I could do.

This particular named store has been reprimanded before for not having a very good environment for their birds or fish, birds didn't have any toys in the cages, they were dirty and only had one perch :mad: I have since found out so much about this store that I have decided to go to town on them.

I went back there the other day with camera phone at the ready and took pics of the conditions of the birds. The Rosella they had either was a different one or had had its nails clipped, I hope that is the case.

I wish I could do more

Most Reactions

Latest posts