Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Iā€™ve never talked about Falkor before. She was so special and I regret every day that I couldnā€™t do more. Itā€™s been or will have been 2 years since she passed in May of this year.
Itā€™s hard to believe and I feel like I still havenā€™t accepted it?

Me, my dad, and sister had went to a pet store weā€™d never been to, at first I didnā€™t see the budgies, they had lots of fish and rodents, a few reptiles too.
Then there was a sad macaw, B&G, bare cage, poor diet etc.
Then I saw the budgies behind him.
OMG.
Iā€™d never seen and havenā€™t seen since, such deformed birds.
4 birds in all, being sold as male, 3 were the rainbow mutation, their nostrils were either too small or too large as were all of their eyes.
They had ruined tail and weā€™re just unhealthy in general.
And then there was Falkor, she stood there, a foot sticking out to the side.
My dad and sister said I should get her, at the time I only had Striga, Grim, Ryuk, and Sheer Khan, so I agreed.
They put her in a cup cake box and said her leg was normal and forced it down which I know hurt her, and they said she was male. She was at least a year old when I bought her.
I brought her home, put her in a small cage away from my other birds.
She was scared but not terrified.
At first she didnā€™t want anything to do with me, once she met the other birds though, things changed.
She started responding very well to recall training and became amazing at it!
She would let me pet her head and lay in my hands like a conure.
Her favorite place was on my chest, sheā€™d kiss my chin, Iā€™d trained it as a trick but she just started doing it all the time.
The other budgies would bully her sometimes, I shouldā€™ve gotten her her own cage but I didnā€™t have any money of my own at the time hardly.
Then she got sick, maybe 2 months after I brought her home.
It was a respiratory infection, which we treated.
She was so small, just 25 grams.
I think Iā€™d have weighed her more I couldā€™ve saved her.
I didnā€™t even have a clue, this was another 2 months later.
I came home, started making dinner for the birds and I saw her laying on her belly on the cage floor, I picked her up, she was alive but so cold.
I held her in my hand and breathed on her trying to warm her, but she was leaving this earth.
She opened her wings a little and closed her eyes, then relaxed on my hand, while I pet her, she died in my hands a minute later.

How I cried, I didnā€™t even suspect a problem when I left that morning.
Id made her a bowl of food without thinking afterwards, that killed me a little inside.
I was depressed, but I think I became numb to the loss.

I donā€™t mean to share a sad story, she brought me so much joy!
She lived with me for just 5 months but those were amazing months!

Her leg was twisted in its socket, I saw a green wing macaw with the same problem and that surgery was very tedious so I knew surgery for her wouldnā€™t have been possible without removing her leg.

Anyways, she was a special needs bird, but she got around with mostly normal perching options.
I had a few rope ladders for her though.

I have pictures of her just not her permanent setup.
When she came home!
0B113D8F-7F16-4F21-91C0-0010AD87A9E1.jpeg

39299091-CF6E-4694-8452-F41836293336.jpeg
3B9FE7DF-9795-41B9-B932-4E2D33ABE3DB.jpeg
9E02BBED-9292-4ADA-8DDA-F70625DF86F2.jpeg
E39796EC-B78C-4EFD-8994-ABA3E1A9C78F.jpeg

In my sleeve!
DDE11824-528B-497C-BA87-9C49902772B9.jpeg

Donā€™t mind my poorly died blue hair, it was a phase! Lol
74AC2608-5413-4935-97B6-9373E46C36D6.jpeg
0BD4494D-C5A2-4C1E-B36C-2F72E0D7F4F8.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh @zERo, Iā€™m in tears, what a bittersweet story! Thank you for sharing Falkor with us, Iā€™m so glad you have such bright, beautiful memories of her, what a gift and a blessing you were to each other! Iā€™m so sorry she was not with you longer, but the precious time that you did have together was clearly filled with so much love, and as heartbreaking as it is to witness and experience, in my opinion itā€™s better that they pass in the hands of the one who truly loves them. You gave Falkor a wonderful life that she never would have known if not for you, and I know she watches over you with love now, like all of our feather babies do, until we meet them again at the Bridge. šŸ™šŸŒˆ

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Bless you for all you did for Falkor, what a beautiful soul she was.
Some birds become our heart birds before we even realize it, forever loved, missed and remembered. You gave her the chance to be loved and taken care of, something that no one else had ever done for her. That is no small thing.
I believe she waited for you so she could say goodbye while wrapped in the warmth of your love.

Thank you so much for sharing her story.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Iā€™ve never talked about Falkor before. She was so special and I regret every day that I couldnā€™t do more. Itā€™s been or will have been 2 years since she passed in May of this year.

Me, my dad, and sister had went to a pet store weā€™d never been to, at first I didnā€™t see the budgies, they had lots of fish and rodents, a few reptiles too.
OMG.
4 birds in all, being sold as male, 3 were the rainbow mutation, their nostrils were either too small or too large as were all of their eyes.
My dad and sister said I should get her, at the time I only had Striga, Grim, Ryuk, and Sheer Khan, so I agreed.
They put her in a cup cake box and said her leg was normal and forced it down which I know hurt her, and they said she was male. She was at least a year old when I bought her.
At first she didnā€™t want anything to do with me, once she met the other birds though, things changed.
Her favorite place was on my chest, sheā€™d kiss my chin, Iā€™d trained it as a trick but she just started doing it all the time.
The other budgies would bully her sometimes, I shouldā€™ve gotten her her own cage but I didnā€™t have any money of my own at the time hardly.
I came home, started making dinner for the birds and I saw her laying on her belly on the cage floor, I picked her up, she was alive but so cold.
I held her in my hand and breathed on her trying to warm her, but she was leaving this earth.
She opened her wings a little and closed her eyes, then relaxed on my hand, while I pet her, she died in my hands a minute later.

Id made her a bowl of food without thinking afterwards, that killed me a little inside.

Her leg was twisted in its socket, I saw a green wing macaw with the same problem and that surgery was very tedious so I knew surgery for her wouldnā€™t have been possible without removing her leg.

Anyways, she was a special needs bird, but she got around with mostly normal perching options.

When she came home!
View attachment 48119
View attachment 48120View attachment 48121View attachment 48122View attachment 48123
In my sleeve!
View attachment 48124
View attachment 48125View attachment 48126
She was a beautiful little girl and you made the last months of her life so happy. Right now she's "At The Dance" where all our beloveds eventually go and where someday you will see Falkor again.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh @zERo, Iā€™m in tears, what a bittersweet story! Thank you for sharing Falkor with us, Iā€™m so glad you have such bright, beautiful memories of her, what a gift and a blessing you were to each other! Iā€™m so sorry she was not with you longer, but the precious time that you did have together was clearly filled with so much love, and as heartbreaking as it is to witness and experience, in my opinion itā€™s better that they pass in the hands of the one who truly loves them. You gave Falkor a wonderful life that she never would have known if not for you, and I know she watches over you with love now, like all of our feather babies do, until we meet them again at the Bridge. šŸ™šŸŒˆ
I remember reading the story of your Lilly, gosh, had me crying! Those stories are so important to share and remember. Thank you for your wonderful words!
Bless you for all you did for Falkor, what a beautiful soul she was.
Some birds become our heart birds before we even realize it, forever loved, missed and remembered. You gave her the chance to be loved and taken care of, something that no one else had ever done for her. That is no small thing.
I believe she waited for you so she could say goodbye while wrapped in the warmth of your love.

Thank you so much for sharing her story.
When I read your story about Phoe and Jax, it was so bittersweet, but Iā€™m happy to have read it!
I think she waited on me too, Iā€™m so happy she did.
She was a beautiful little girl and you made the last months of her life so happy. Right now she's "At The Dance" where all our beloveds eventually go and where someday you will see Falkor again.
I canā€™t wait to see her, thank you for your kind words.

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy

OMG.

When she came home!
View attachment 48119
View attachment 48120View attachment 48121View attachment 48122View attachment 48123
In my sleeve!
View attachment 48124
My deepest sympathy for the loss of sweet Falkor. She sounds a lot like my splayed leg budgie, Stormy. Stormy can't perch due to the severity of her disability. Even so, she sings her little heart out every day and loves being a part of a flock of six birds, all of whom are much bigger than she is! She brings so much joy. I truly feel blessed to have her and I can imagine that you felt that same way about Falkor ā™„ļø
Here she is. Pretty cute huh?
IMG_0886.jpeg

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My deepest sympathy for the loss of sweet Falkor. She sounds a lot like my splayed leg budgie, Stormy. Stormy can't perch due to the severity of her disability. Even so, she sings her little heart out every day and loves being a part of a flock of six birds, all of whom are much bigger than she is! She brings so much joy. I truly feel blessed to have her and I can imagine that you felt that same way about Falkor ā™„ļø
Here she is. Pretty cute huh?View attachment 48152
Thank you so much!
What a lovely girl you have šŸ˜

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
She's just a baby! Can she fly, at least?
No because she was clipped before she came to live with me. I am hopeful that she will learn to fly once she molts. I often think how flight would be an improvement to her quality of life (but I can't dwell on that!).

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
No because she was clipped before she came to live with me. I am hopeful that she will learn to fly once she molts. I often think how flight would be an improvement to her quality of life (but I can't dwell on that!).
Birds have a pretty strong instinct to fly because it's their natural way of getting around. When her flight feathers grow back I think she will get the urge to fly especially when she sees all your other birds flying. What I wonder about is how she's going to land when her "landing gear" doesn't work. Will she do belly-landings"? Have you tried putting birdie handcuffs on her legs to train them to to a proper position or is it too late for her? When Rocky was a tiny baby I bought birdie handcuffs just in case her legs got splayed but I never had to use them.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I have a huge soft spot for special needs budgies ā¤ļø
Have you tried putting birdie handcuffs on her legs to train them to to a proper position or is it too late for her? When Rocky was a tiny baby I bought birdie handcuffs just in case her legs got splayed but I never had to use them.
It's probably too late. Splay leg correction needs to happen as soon after hatch as possible to be effective, while the bones, tendons etc. are soft.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

It's probably too late. Splay leg correction needs to happen as soon after hatch as possible to be effective, while the bones, tendons etc. are soft.
That's what I heard. Sad that it could have easily been corrected at about 14 days old when they start to walk around a lot on their cute oversized feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_125819177.jpg
    IMG_20221118_125819177.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 33

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
Birds have a pretty strong instinct to fly because it's their natural way of getting around. When her flight feathers grow back I think she will get the urge to fly especially when she sees all your other birds flying. What I wonder about is how she's going to land when her "landing gear" doesn't work. Will she do belly-landings"? Have you tried putting birdie handcuffs on her legs to train them to to a proper position or is it too late for her? When Rocky was a tiny baby I bought birdie handcuffs just in case her legs got splayed but I never had to use them.

Right. She has a strong core and a vice grip in one of her feet. Moves her little self up and down her ladders like a breeze and the flat perches serve her fine.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Here she is. Pretty cute huh?View attachment 48152

Stormy is a gorgeous girl! I had a Society finch who had a splayed leg and he flew everywhere. He used the feed dishes to land in. My one-legged Lady Gouldian landed the same way.

I'm so glad you have her, she's a lucky girl.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

OMG.

When she came home!
View attachment 48119
In my sleeve!
View attachment 48124
One of my budgies, Bib, had a seizure, and flapped around the bottom of her cag,ll e, completely disoriented. I picked her up and held her in my hand to comfort her as she took her last breaths. Having Bib literally die in my hands was an experience I will never forget, like your Falkor.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
One of my budgies, Bib, had a seizure, and flapped around the bottom of her cag,ll e, completely disoriented. I picked her up and held her in my hand to comfort her as she took her last breaths. Having Bib literally die in my hands was an experience I will never forget, like your Falkor.
What a horrible experience for you! Iā€™m so sorry that happened.
Do you have pictures of her?
Iā€™m sure you loved her very much, I can tell by how much you love Rocky!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
What a horrible experience for you! Iā€™m so sorry that happened.
Do you have pictures of her?
Iā€™m sure you loved her very much, I can tell by how much you love Rocky!
The phone I used back then fritzed on me. She was pure white with a blue "bib" and the face of angel.

Most Reactions

Latest posts