My name is rumpled and i have 2 conure parrots.

Rumpled

Jan 25, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi
I just joined this forum To get some advice on my little friends.
I've had my green cheek conure for 7 years now his name is just Bird "wife named him lol" she got me him or should I say rescued him from her brother in law when he was just over 1 year old. The couple that got him was because they see them on holls and there son wanted one, now the bird was in a normal cage that people get for a canary and all he done was walk up and down like a animal in a zoo going crazy. Any way his a happy parrot now and is free in my bungalow as you can see in the pics background they have a box to sleep in thats it and I built a lean-to out my front windows so I can just open the windows and they can go out (pic). The have a pond with running water out there lots of different fresh fruits ie' strawberries, raspberry, sweetcorn, apple, banana, orange, figs when available and pomegranate. There not to keen on brocoli or other greens but love peas in pods, monge trou, sweet peas. They also have fruity parrot mix, black 🌻 seeds, mixed nuts and millet sticks pretty much anything they like including my food mash potatoes, anything fatty like bacon rind, lamb fat, things cooked in butter and fresh water every day. If I see anything they mite like in fruit or veg and the haven't tried ill give it a go. Right now my problem is after 2 years with him I move to my bungalow after the loss of my mother I had a dressmakers dummy he used to hide in of a night before I made the box and why he was in there he chewed somthing inside and his eye started swelling up so I took him to a vet in Maidstone a avian vet the proscribed him antibiotics orally and drops||Flashy|| for his eye. The first time I used it in his eye the eye swelled up in the morning I thought it was going to pop so I threw it in the bin. After cleaning it for weeks and months it finally it got back to nearly normal but occasionally it would come back till I throw out the dressmakers dummy and got him a girl friend a blue pineapple green cheek conure. The eye now waters and I have to clean it once or twice a week and it's been like that now for 3 years, there is nothing else wronge with him no redness no swelling no respatry problems his put on weight since the vet over the years 10 grams so now is 80 grams so his as well as can be if his eye would stop watering. She has no symptoms what so ever of anything but they preen each other most of the day and sleep cuddled up. I been fretting for years now wondering if he have parrot fever or his just damaged his tear duct from rubbing his eye in the dummy he used to hide in. It was like fibrous strands in cardboard he used to chew and rub his eye. I don't know what to do now as it iratats him a little some times but don't want to give him anything to make his eye worsen like before or just keep it clean like I done for just over 3 years. There dropping are normal just the feathers round his eye get stuck together after a few days and I clean it with warm build water with a little salt in it. She clean the feathers round his eye to. I absolutely love my birds and want the best I can do for them.

Attachments

• 20220125_194656.jpg
    20220125_194656.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220125_200337.jpg
    20220125_200337.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220125_204938.jpg
    20220125_204938.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 100

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome, beautiful birbs! I'm excited to get to know you!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Look at these 2 beauties! Living the high lifestyle! Such envy of your outdoor birdie Aviary!!!

After 3 years of eye issue, I doubt its fixable. And unlikely to be parrot fever, ( chlamydia) eyes are well beyond my expertise. Finding a certified avian veterinarian who can consult with a veterinarian college and a eye expert would be all I could offer. But you seem to be keeping it well in hand and hasn't gotten worse? It could be there is a foreign body, or tear duct damage, 3rd eyelid damage im going to stop because I just don't know.

Conure do seem to go after sweet fruits. But veggies are important, try peppers like bell and red chili as well as other kinds burds don't taste tge " heat" in peppers. Abd tgey are a great source if vitamin A as are leafy greens like romaine and Swiss chard, some cooked sweet potatoes are well liked by mine. A little boiled egg with shell offered here abd there. Otherwise you seem to be doing quite well by them. Look great wright great.

Nice to meet you

OP
Rumpled

Rumpled

Jan 25, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Thank you for the info.
Bird the my boy follows me everywhere I go so when I getting my dinner ready I like greens and he trys most things I all way put a few 🍃 from my greens or salads in there dish... I think his just spoilt lol. She "Baby Girl" on the other hand doesn't like to be held but sits on me and let's me tickle her a little. When I got her she was very timid, I've had her now for 3 years but she,s nutz it's like she has somthing not right in her head. She miss judges landing often and stumbles somtimes running along the curtain rail missing her footing like she's looking out case somthings going to attack her. I live in uk and it's hard to find avian vets here for tropical birds and cost a fortune if used. I got her from a breeder for a silly some of £70 with a certificate of what she is, userly the pineapples here go for around £600. when I picked her up he said she's a good mum and has breed, so with yours been so tame you should have some loverly birds from them. I'm not to worried about her she's in good health but I have seen her go in to some sort of spasm for 30 seconds, she makes a warning noise if I lift anything above my waist really loadly it's like she's been treated badly in the past and it's taken nearly 3 years for her to come and sit on me even now she only will come when she wants she's very defiant and much like a human woman lol. But I love my Girl just as much as Bird 😊. No eggs yet tho.. properly down to the box only 15mm deep but I got a few things to do when it gets warmer over here.
Thanks again for the help.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Yes, a Certified Avian Vet visit can be quite pricey, but we always tell folks, put aside some cash every month to build up a 'vet' fund. Me personally I take Salty to his vet annually for a full medical work up, like a birthday present to him (which is not appreciated by any means). Last one was almost $400 to find out he is fine, a bit overweight, but otherwise good. With parrots that have issues , like yours, however minor or seemingly well managed, it would be ideal to find out the cause and address it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts