My new baby

draighean

Jul 1, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Parrots
Archeoptyerx (Archie) the lovebird

Pepper, CAG
Found out today that my new CAG is a girl! She is being shipped to me at the end of the month when she is weaned. I'm really excited! She is one of the two at the back.

Canary & Conure 006.jpg

I've been doing a lot of research, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has advice for raising a baby bird?

Last edited:
Awwww.... what precious little babies! I bet you're all excited and getting everything all set up for her arrival huh?

How cute! Congratulations!

Awwww.... what precious little babies! I bet you're all excited and getting everything all set up for her arrival huh?

So excited! I got an air purifier, the cage arrives next week, the shower perch arrived, as well as a few toys. Java wood branch and rope perch arrive this week, and I built a pvc training perch.

I've been doing a lot of research, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has advice for raising a baby bird?

You must be so super excited! :) Let the countdown begin.

Will she come to you fully weaned? I'm asking because you were inquiring about advice for raising a baby bird.

You must be so super excited! :) Let the countdown begin.

Will she come to you fully weaned? I'm asking because you were inquiring about advice for raising a baby bird.

Yes, she is coming fully weaned. That's what I'm waiting on actually, the weaning. I guess what I want is advice for a proper parrot upbringing haha. Any tips or tricks? I'm planning on feeding half pellet, half fresh fruit and veggies, with treats like seeds and nuts throughout the day for training.

Ohhhh, those babies are darling, Congratulations!

I'm glad to hear your little one will be fully weaned! It sounds like you've thought of everything to prepare for your baby's homecoming.

Introduce a wide variety of foods while your baby is young and more willing to try new things. Training is also easier with a young bird. Good luck, lucking forward to lots of photos.

Greys are my some day parrot. Awesome birds :) Looking forward to updates!

All settled in with Pepper, I've had her for 3 1/2 weeks now. She's so sweet, we're having a great time together! Many thanks to Birds R Us Brampton for sending her!
DSC_0122.jpg
DSC_0165.jpg

Last edited:
She looks super cute! Love baby greys. My boys are amazing. I know you'll love your girl. My biggest piece of advice is handle her as much as possible. Touch her all over so she gets used to it. Take her new places. And expose her to lots of new things and people. Change her cage around often. Move things.

Greys hate change. I have found by exposing my boys to lots and lots of change over their first year has made them accept change more freely. I am a firm believer in pushing my boys to try new things. And with encouragement and lots of love they are always open minded now. Unlike most greys.

They look so cute i want to play with them all . It must be so exciting. I hope you get your African grey and she is really well behaved, good luck :D. Also do you have a name yet? :confused:

Cute! Aww! Makes me all parrot-clucky and what not.

They are AMAZING! Greys are social but at the same time they can easily spend time alone while you are at work as long as while you are home you spend time with them. My grey does so well - I have him out at least 6 hours every day, most days 10 hours. I walk everywhere with him, he is curious and loves to hang around. He's not neurotic and sometimes lets me know "I just want to watch you guys" rather than be touched. He talks, sings, and is great. My advice? Spend time with her! Enjoy her! You'll have a friend for life. Also, socialize her to other people. That can be a bit hard if you don't do it from the start. Let her make friends with your friends.

So far she is super friendly! I have friends over for board games every other week, and she seems to like anyone with glasses. Flew right to a friend first time she met him. I got a travel backpack for her, so we are going for walks now. And she's sitting on my hand while I type this haha. She loves to be out with me. We're working on potty training right now.

Love hearing the update. Any recent pics? Can't get enough CAG pics?

Rachel raised my CAG from an egg. I finished hand feeding.

The biggest thing with CAGS is allowing them to abundance wean and fully fledge, because they are not the most coordinated bird in the world, and it will affect their confidence level later on.

Beyond that, socializing them is next on the list. You don't want to raise a CAG in isolation as it leads to phobic behaviors. Exposing them to change at a young age is a good thing, because they tend to fester and not accept change if you don't do it at a young age...

Did I mention CAGS were stubborn?! Like possibly the most stubborn of the bunch.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back