My new conure - Tim

Tim_the_conure

Jul 31, 2020
Hi all, so Iā€™m new to the parrot owning club! Very excited as I got my first conure on Monday! Heā€™s 2 months old (I say ā€˜heā€™... I have assigned him this gender)! Heā€™s been settling in over the last few days, becoming more and more calm around me and much less flighty when I change food and water etc! Which Iā€™ve assumed to be a good sign?

Of course Iā€™d now love to start to tame him, however Iā€™m a little unsure on where to start! So any tips and advice would be so appreciated!

Also, Iā€™m a bit of an avid ā€˜googlerā€™... Iā€™d noticed he sleeps with his head /beak on top of his wing at night, is that normal? I read somewhere it could be a bad sign.. but canā€™t find where I read that now... annoying!

Iā€™m general, he eats and drinks plenty throughout the day, likes to play with his toys and goes to sleep at around 9pm and wakes at 6am! He does puff his feathers up a few times in the day too, is that normal? Excited to tame him!

Any tips, comments or advice would be amazing!

Thanks in advance :rainbow1:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations and welcome.
Birds do best with ten or more hours of sleep a night , have a routine is good, burd do nap during the day especially a young guy like yours. Napping with head tucked over back is normal, napping with head hanging straight down on chest isles normal and can be a sign of weakness. Your guy sounds normal . Assign a bedtime and donā€™t disturb him after that.

The best bribe for GCC is safflower seeds !

brownterri83

Jul 18, 2020
Media
Ft Worth
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure-Blake
Hello there and congrats!

I'm also a new Conure mom and it is the best. I'm no expert but I just opened his cage and let him come to me. I talked calmly to him every day. It took about 3 days before he surprised me and flew over to my leg. I did not try to touch him, I let him touch me. I work from home so I have the luxury of spending 8 hrs a day with him but I still enforce the alone time for him in his cage. I go at his pace with everything and because I did that, the biting has become little nibbles. I also learned quickly to read his temperament and body language because those bites do hurt lol. You will do great with your new friend. Mine is now like my guard bird in my office; he hops onto the back of my chair to see who is entering OUR domain lolol.

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
We had a much different experience with our green cheeks. Each of them was different. River, our first one, was very timid and shy when we brought him home. He didnā€™t went to eat and was very still, but he would step up and let us give him scritches. Two days later he was rolling around on blankets, eating up a storm, cuddling, and only wanted to be left in the cage as the evening came and he wanted to sleep.

Summer, she was timid and shy at the pet store but she was always wanting to come out once we got her home. She plays a little hard with her beak so we have to watch her and through consistency we have gotten her to not be so hard. I donā€™t want to call it biting because itā€™s not what it really is. She is playing but she just gets too excited.

Rainbow, our last one to come home... he could fly so he would step up on our hand and as soon as he was out the door of the cage he would act like he was a blue angel. Well, he had a trimming and doesnā€™t exactly get away as he wishes sometimes.

We never really experienced them being timid of us. Or maybe we were gentle enough with each that they trusted us.... we did wind up spending hours with each in the store before bringing them home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
And also congrats!!! They are great fun, little balls of energy. He sounds like he is healthy and the sleeping on the shoulder I feel is a normal behavior. My eclectus male always sleeps with his beak tucked in his wing when it is the colder months and heā€™s 22 years old. So I donā€™t think it is a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions