My old widower male tiel is attacking the new female I bought

Srijan

Apr 18, 2021
Media
Kolkata
Parrots
Yoda and Loki : Rosy/peach faced love birds
I had a lutino and a grey cockatiel (pairs) for 2 years. Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago my lutino(female) died. For two weeks the grey(male) was too lonely, and searching for his old mate, and screeching badly. So I transferred him to a smaller cage and hung a mirror in front of him so that he feels accompanied initially. But he went near the mirror and tried to reach his reflection. So I had to use my phone and started cockatiel companion videos. But today, when I bought him a new grey girl (same-aged) (in the smaller cage), he's attacking her feet, head, wings and pulling her feathers. I was shocked at this, so I transferred her to a new cage which I bought and kept them close. But what will happen, will they never get together. I dreamt of taming their children, please help me to get them together.:confused::(:confused:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry for your Tiel's loss.

Your Tiel is likely still grieving the loss of its mate. Introducing a new Tiel is likely too early. Hence the rejection you are seeing.

In normal situations, there is no assurance that any Parrot will accept any new Parrot.

In addition, it would be better to have new arrivals separated for 30 to 45 days to 'limit' transfer of illnesses.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Dear Srijan

Fully endorse what Sail Boat has said. Keep the new bird quarantined for about at least a month. Then keep the birds in separate cages in the same room for as long as it takes for them to develop a bond -may be 2 months- may be 6 .

Male Cockatiels have been known to kill female cockatiels. It is not very common, but after all they are Cockatoos.

Avin
:yellow1::yellow1::yellow1:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You can't ever just assume that 2 birds will get along (even if opposite gender and same species). Imagine if a spouse died and someone just plopped another husband of wife down in front of you...Mirrors are not a good thing either-- I know your intentions were good, but the reflection isn't real and it can cause confusion and obsession in birds that notice/like mirrors. A 45 day quarantine (minimum-- but ideally 3 months) needs to happen whenever you bring a bird home...not in the same room with your current birds. You are just going to confuse and frustrate him with all of these attempts to "trick" him into feeling less lonely.

Do you know what caused the passing of your last parrot? Birds can carry and spread deadly diseases and they often do so without showing any symptoms of illness themselves. Your remaining tiel could be carrying disease...As could any new ones.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Buying a bird to be a companion for another bird is full of difficulty.

I have done this despite all informed advice against it.

Now that you have a second bird the best advice I can give you is to go slowly.
Let them set the pace.
After quarantine put cages close together but far enough apart to avoid injuries.
Let them out together in neutral territory..

All of my companion purchases were in my opinion special circumstances.
I purchased a second Green Check Amazon for my first one because she had spent time in a wild flock.
It took about a year before they could stay peacefully in the same cage.

Don’t loose hope.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, please accept my deepest condolences for the loss of your female tiel. Your heart is in the right place and perhaps one day the two will reproduce. So much wisdom and advice above, for now a time of separation and slow introduction over time.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum, lots if great people, lots if great topics.

Your burd is definitely morning. I'm do sorry fir you both. I had 2 girl GCC that were very bonded. When Burt The Burd passed, my Ta-dah also grieved so hard. It made the hurt fir me so worse. I dud the same thing and hot my furst quaker to be her freind. Unlike yiur situation she dud like him right away. But he wasn't ready to be her freind for a while....( couple of months?) They had seperate cages and at first were out on opposite sides if tge house, like 20 feet apart. It was a slow progression to friends.

So I definitely think in time they will be friends. Birds have been reported to grieve up to six months

Most Reactions