so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
As I join this ever increasing gathering of your friends and fellow Parrot Lovers. Know that I understand the loss, as that been there, done that thing is a reality. May your Father now find that peaceful field he so desires. May that and other memories come to comfort you dear friend. Know you have many friends that care!

Living Trust can be strong, but only as strong as the strength that was built into them. Within the formation of the Trust and as an equal member his 'wife' is co-owner of the holdings of the Trust. The division of property is commonly still with in the Trust can be designated, but ownership is still 90% of the Law, and she can distribute those items.

If you cannot get your hands on a copy of the document everything else is much like Words in the Wind. If your Father included you on the Title of Property that will help! As a sale of the Property would require your signature.

You need to get the name of the Law Firm that has the document sets of the Living Trust and get in front of the Attorney!
I do have access to the document And have read through it in the past.
As best as I understand it at my fatherā€™s death the property becomes mine and stepmom is allowed to live here as long as she wants/lives.
title is not in my name.
ironically his 4 x 4 Toyota pickup is now mine.
thats something else specifically in the trust.
could have saved a lot of money by not buying X.

Thanks for the good wishes itā€™s a difficult time.
everyone coming by to support stepmom are all Spanish speaking. She is from Colombia and has lots of Latin friends
I do not begrudge this in any way, she needs the support the most.
But it leaves me very much the odd man out.
canā€t really join in or follow.
If I try to join them it kind of tong ties them.
they all speak English but itā€™s harder to express their feelings that way.

Of my direct family I have a nephew and niece and they both have kids but so far as I know they arenā€™t coming.
Because this came so rapidly and I had to leave so suddenly my wife stayed.
Because of the Cockatiels my son must stay.
he is the best one for patching up the birds after a panic attack.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Happy that there seems to be an interest to follow the wants of your Father.

There are a couple of considerations regarding the Home's Deed. You could with a fairly simply quick claim have the ownership move to solely your name. Understanding you become liable for any and all taxes due and are responsible for any other legal claims against the property (it would be unusable). The Attorney will likely run an add in the local Legal News that calls for all such claims to be file by a specific date. Once that date passes, it is your's.

NOTE: Property Taxes are expensive as a non-resident you pay all the taxes and get no reduction commonly held for residents (using the homes address as yours). Your Tax advisor will be your best tool for finding a way to make all this happen (still with in the letter of the law, but playing the fine edge until the move occurs.

The other is that you mother-in-law is also on the deed and if so, she would have to agree with the transferring her interest in the home. Once again, the Attorney would handle the paperwork. This all falls apart if she refuses. This is a discussion with your Attorney as to what the Laws are in that area.

The better the general communication between you and your mother-in-law the better this will all unfold.

If you can, avoid doing anything with the long arms until you elect to become a Resident. But, when 2024 ends it would be worth to have the ownership handled. Transfer with family remains fairly clear, but selling them keeps become a nightmare. Group 3 being the most regulated.

Our prayers remain with you and your family good friend!

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Happy that there seems to be an interest to follow the wants of your Father.

There are a couple of considerations regarding the Home's Deed. You could with a fairly simply quick claim have the ownership move to solely your name. Understanding you become liable for any and all taxes due and are responsible for any other legal claims against the property (it would be unusable). The Attorney will likely run and add in the local Legal News that calls for all such claims to be file by a specific date. Once that date passes, it is your's.

NOTE: Property Taxes are expensive as a non-resident you pay all the taxes and get not reduction commonly held for residents (using the homes address as yours). Your Tax advisor will be your best tool for finding a way to make all this happen (still with in the letter of the law, but playing the fine edge until the move occurs.

The other is that you mother-in-law is also on the deed and if so, she would have to agree with the transferring her interest in the home. Once again, the Attorney would handle the paperwork. This all falls apart if she refuses. This is a discussion with your Attorney as to what the Laws are in that area.

The better the general communication between you and your mother-in-law the better this will all unfold.

If you can, avoid doing anything with the long arms until you elect to become a Resident. But, when 2024 ends it would be worth to have the ownership handled. Transfer with family remains fairly clear, but selling them keeps become a nightmare. Group 3 being the most regulated.

Our prayers remain with you and your family good friend!
The plan has been to move up here.
suppose to happen in August.
We are kind of waiting on a guest house called an ADW.
Additional dwelling ā€¦. Forgot what the W stands for.
as big as the house proper is we need separate households because.
Birds.

taxes on the place are roughly equal to what I pay now in Ca because this place qualifies as a working farm.
irrigation and electric are the big bills.

the biggest sticky point is I must have my name on the deed before I sell my current house.

I should realize a fair profit in equity but not enough to go out and just buy another house.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The plan has been to move up here.
suppose to happen in August.
We are kind of waiting on a guest house called an ADW.
Additional dwelling ā€¦. Forgot what the W stands for.
as big as the house proper is we need separate households because.
Birds.

taxes on the place are roughly equal to what I pay now in Ca because this place qualifies as a working farm.
irrigation and electric are the big bills.

the biggest sticky point is I must have my name on the deed before I sell my current house.

I should realize a fair profit in equity but not enough to go out and just buy another house.
I am stepping out of my understandings of the Law, but you can move the CA home into your wife's name. Note, this move can be edgy, but the combination of your both filing separate Income taxes helps. But, like I said it is edgy!

When are Summer Taxes due in Oregon?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am stepping out of my understandings of the Law, but you can move the CA home into your wife's name. Note, this move can be edgy, but the combination of your both filing separate Income taxes helps. But, like I said it is edgy!

When are Summer Taxes due in Oregon?
I donā€™t know, I thought it would be the same as Ca.
according to the living trust.
As long as my stepmom lives here the maintenance and upkeep are to be paid by her from my fatherā€™s/and her 401k IRA or whatever the money was put in.
If she leaves/moves it becomes mine and my responsibility to pay everything.
If she dies living here what money is left will be distributed equally

I just have to make sure she canā€™t kick me off the property if I commit to living here.

my father told me directly he did his best to see that my stepmom could not take it away from me but there was no way to protect the money.

Most Reactions