My parakeet's cage mate died and she seems lonely, but I don't know if I should get her another partner.

Alliegmarcin

Aug 24, 2021
Massachusetts
Parrots
Parrotlet named Quito
Parakeet named Clara
My parakeet's cage mate, who she has been with for about 8 years, died last week. Her cage mate was more tame than she is, and she will occasionally eat out of my hand and would hangout on my shoulder/chest only if her friend was with her too.
She is chirping as much as usual, but will barely come out of her cage. Usually when I open the door, she will come out immediately and be very curious/excited.
Since she won't let me handle her or pick her up without her friend, I am concerned she is going to get depressed and lonely. All I can do for her is spend time next to her cage and play music/talk to her.
I have considered adopting another senior parakeet to keep her company for the remainder of her life. She's 8 years old and an english budgie (life expectancy 5-7 years), so I don't know if it would be worth it at this point, as I would run into the same issue again if she died and her companion was left alone and vice versa.
Once she dies I would like to keep a single parrotlet alone, which is why I don't want to get a younger budgie (I also thought it might be a kind thing to do to get an older parakeet).

Any advice? I just want to do what's best for her.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You could use this as an opportunity to get closer to your remaining bird, giving her lots of time and attention. Thatā€™s one option. You could eventually get a parrotlet, kept in a separate cage, that would be neighbors with this bird and help her be less lonely and bored. Or you could find her a senior budgie friend.

All are good options. What appeals to you? You donā€™t want your bird to be miserable but itā€™s not a great idea to buy another bird for a first bird who might not like it.

I think Iā€™d try to make friends with the lone budgie and eventually find a parrotlet who can be neighbors with her.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I love the idea of getting her an adult, even senior, budgie. There are so many that need a home, and she would surely appreciate it. A budgie can be with her 24x7, which we humans just cannot offer. Of course, there is a chance they do not get along; but, I mostly here of instant success stories with the case of one losing a companion. If you get the new budgie from a rescue/shelter, you can return it and try another if they do not get along.

Edit: Of course, they may just need a little time. I've seen disinterest or even early mild "fighting" turn into fast and lasting friendships. Early in the process, it can be a big adjustment for them.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I agree about getting a senior budgie if you decide to do that, but keep in mind you may need to separate them if they don't get along.
There are just as many stories of those who don't get along as those that do.
Female budgies can be mean to a new one, especially if they were with their partner for a long time.
However, if the new one is in their own cage I'm sure yours would appreciate the company. I believe in allowing the one left behind to have time to grieve before bringing another one home, though.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Edit: Of course, they may just need a little time. I've seen disinterest or even early mild "fighting" turn into fast and lasting friendships. Early in the process, it can be a big adjustment for them.
Even "mild fighting" should never be allowed when new birds are put together. That is way too risky for both birds.
I think a new bird should always have their own cage when they are getting to know each other to keep them both safe. If they get along then they may be okay. A divided cage is a great way to see if they'll get along, if that's an option.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Even "mild fighting" should never be allowed when new birds are put together. That is way too risky for both birds.
I think a new bird should always have their own cage when they are getting to know each other to keep them both safe. If they get along then they may be okay. A divided cage is a great way to see if they'll get along, if that's an option.
Thanks, @Terry57, I used quotes around the word, but I should have made it clear I meant relationship "fighting", not combat "fighting".

"Fighting"
1670180670697.png

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
@Alliegmarcin, I too, am sorry for your lossā€”and for your surviving budgie's loss.

I take "forever home" very seriously; but, if you decide to not get her another companion, perhaps consider rehoming her to someone with adult budgies so she is not alone. Finding and screening such a home can take a bit of work, but I have done it twice for fosters, and it is very satisfying to know that they are in better homes than I could give them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts