Nail trimming

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
I live alone, just me and my creatures.
So when it comes to nail trimming, I really don't like toweling. So I was trying to find a way to do it stress free.
I always touch his feet and talons when he is out he let's me do it no trouble at all. His nails get so sharp they're like needles. So today he was in his cage. I went over to say hi. He crawled up the side of the cage and I was rubbing his feet, and it hit me I went and got the nail clippers and started to clip each toe. His toes where sticking out of the cage as he hung on. I would hold a toe, then clip it give him a treat and do the same for each toe. He was really good about it. Just let me do it while waiting for the treats.
Just thought I would share.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Excellent idea and I've done the same. Some won't let me hold them and clip yet tolerate when their nails are "captive."

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great idea for nail trimming!

I know how to nail trim, but prefer to have our Avian Medical Professional handle the trimming as that gets the Parrot in our CAV hands for a quick look over and also, they are the bad folks and I'm the hero saving him from them.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
I will have to try that with my Gray. jh

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Smart!

Make sure you have some qwik-stop or silver nitrate sticks in the event that you ever go too close-- styptic powder isn't perfect (as you don't want then ingesting it), but it's safer than a bird bleeding and bleeding from a nail.
In a pinch, cornstarch can help, but nitrate is actually going to chemically cauterize the bleeding area. Do not put silver nitrate on unaffected areas, as it can burn them.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Awesome! I do all ours with a dremmel. I’m
A big believer in corn starch or flour as a coagulant since they are so much safer if ingested but it’s been a long time since such was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions