Need a Little Help

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Freddie's been doing well. He steps up readily now, BUT....when I walk with him on my arm, usually on my way to his cage or Playstand, he bites. It's not that hard, but he has left a beak impression in my arm. He's also done the same with my husband. I usually Say LOUDLY No, or Hey, and he stops....but I can't understand why he's doing it. He is rather unsteady on my arm, and I'm wondering if he's not comfortable...or if he's just not wanting to go where we are going. Freddie is used to shoulder riding, and I was hoping to discourage this. When he steps up, he immediately heads for the shoulder. When I begin moving he stays on the arm, but he really doesn't seem to feel comfortable there....Any ideas?

You're probably right that he's uncomfortable on your arm while you're moving, especially if he's unsteady. Could you hold him closer to your body?

BTW - is there a specific reason you don't want him on your shoulder?

No reason, other than I'm unsure of him...he's only been with me a week. I'm a little worried about a nasty bite to the face or ears?

While doing research, I read it's often not recommended to allow big birds on shoulders, but I have no idea if this is a legitimate concern. I guess I'm just playing it safe....

I think he is doing it because he feels insecure on your arm and he wants you to stop walking so he doesn't fall off. Is it possible that his claws are too short and/or the tips too dull (versus a longer nail with a sharp point at the end)? Groomers tend to trim them too short and dremmel the tips into a round shape because it's more comfortable for the owners but it puts parrots at a huge disadvantage in terms of balance and ability to climb.

It is true that a lot of material out there recommends you don't allow large birds to perch on your shoulder but I think it's just one of those bird things that are slowly becoming outdated. I allow all my birds to ride on my shoulder, even when they are new. If they nip me while doing it, I immediately move my shoulder in such a way that makes them fly away while I give them them the command to do that so they start learning it. In my personal experience, aggressive birds will attack you as soon as they have the chance, they don't really wait to bite you until they are on your shoulder. As a matter of fact, they don't even try to climb there from your hand - for one thing, truly aggressive birds do not step up and, for another, why would they want to ride on your shoulder? They don't really wanna have anything to do with you and climbing on your shoulder is a bonding thing so why would they bother? I have had aggressive birds fly over to the back of my neck and bite me there but it's not the same thing as climbing there from my hand -if I had put my hand in front of any of these aggressive birds, they would have taken a chunk out of it.

That makes sense....maybe I'll allow him the shoulder.

I did get him to step up on a large stick several times this AM, and he does much better.

Now, if I could just get him to stay in one spot and play, while he's out, or at least to go from stand to cage. He tends to fly all over and investigate everything. I can't look away from him for a minute!!!LOL!

Now, if I could just get him to stay in one spot and play, while he's out, or at least to go from stand to cage. He tends to fly all over and investigate everything. I can't look away from him for a minute!!!LOL!

There is so much to investigate, he's going to be a busy body for quite a while LoL. :rolleyes:

Popcorn has been opening all of my kitchen cabinets. I'll be picking up locks today.

I always thought that was an interesting philosophy. I honestly don't mean to be negative to anyone - you should do what makes you and your bird comfortable, but...

A well socialized bird isn't going to bit any more than a well socialized dog or cat, right?

I understand waiting a period of time before letting and unfamiliar or new bird on your shoulder...you don't have a bond or very high level of trust yet. But I seriously think my birds would cry if I didn't let them on my shoulder. If we could fasten food and water bowls to our shoulders like we did with his perch, he's never leave...except to poop...or go to bed, he likes to be in his cage and covered by 9pm.

You are right....
I think I just don't know him well enough yet, and he does like to try to be "bossy" with me. I'm sure that once we learn to compleately trust each other, it'll be fine. We're actually doing quite well.

After getting to know Freddie better this week, I've come to the conclusion that Freddie associates stepping up with unpleasantness. He gave the previous owners trouble as well, so it's not just since he's been here. I have no problem getting him back in his cage though...I try to get him to step up, and although he refuses, he immediately goes into his cage. He knows what I want, and would rather do it on his own, than step up. That's OK....but is there a way to encourage stepping up, to help him get over this. I'd like it if he were to see it as a pleasant experience. I've tried treats, and he's having none of it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back