need advice about my job

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, a couple weeks ago I finished the Petsmart accreditation program to become a dog trainer at my local store. I'm not at all worried about the training portion as I also went through KPA professional program and have a history in training.

The thing I'm struggling with are SALES. It's just as much a sales position as it is a position to train dogs. I am a very shy person and I hate being pushy and coercing people into buying something. I need to sell 1500$ worth of classes by next monday so that's on average 2 sales a day at our cheapest price. I'm struggling to get one sale a WEEK. I'm just so bad at it. Our lead sales person is going on vacation in like a week and itll be primarily on me to make sales and meet the quota while shes gone because the other training person I work with (theres 3 trainers in this store) doesnt do much despite doing this since february. So it was really laid on me how important it is that I make these sales and I'm just SO BAD at it. If wenmake these 1500$ worth of sales, my manager said she would reward us anyway we want (lunch, giftcards, etc) but all 3 of us have to individually make 1500$ worth of sales. So 4500$ total. By Monday.

How do I get better D: does anyone with experience in a sales heavy job have any advice? I've gotten a lot of advice from the person who trained me, my managers, and other people with more sales experience but I'm having a really hard time pushing myself to interact with customers because I'm afraid of being pushy. We have a donation drive going where we are selling stuffed animals for 5$ a piece and the stuffed animal + 1$ of the sale goes to childrens' hospitals. And I have a hard time asking people to spend hecking 5$ ontop of whatever they're there to buy. (since I dont have a lot of classes right now I help out with the rest of the store, including registers where these donations happen)

so please!! give me advice, I need to get better. If there are any books or infographics or something I can read too please let me know!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm an engineer by education and profession. As a rule engineers are not great communicators with those who do not share like knowledge. For whatever reason I have never had a problem speaking with most anyone. Although not required to 'sell' anything beyond providing technical knowledge of the whether our product or product(s) would be of use for the client, I quickly found that our clients wanted someone to simply explain the technology. I quickly found that I could not only provided the knowledge, but sell the product.

Point being, 'Sales' IMHO should always be of a positive benefit for the client!! Selling your training program (if you truly believe it would be a benefit) should be a simply discussion of what the Client and their pet, would gain by taking the training course. If you do not believe it to be so, either learn more or change your profession.

Fear is more commonly an issue of you not believing in your training program and its benefits. Yes, most people are not comfortable starting a conversation. But, the client is there to get something for their pet and clearly care about their pet for at least that reason. All, you have to do is ask a very simple question or two about their pet and whether they have ever considered a training program. The first couple of attempts may not go perfect, but each time you try, you will get better.

Note: To be honest, I am not a big fan, by any means, of Petsmart. In fact, I refer to them as Pet-Not-So-Smart, but that is just me! But, that does not mean that if you truly believe that your Training Program 'will' be of help! you are 95% on your way to selling! Never Sell Junk!!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I understand your dislike for petsmart. I dont like a lot of the products they sell, especially for small animals... but at my store it's not that bad especially in the pet care department. The animals actually get their dietary and social and enrichment needs for the most part. Animals that need veggies get them. Animals that need hay gets it. The birds have toys, their enclosures arent the worst (natural wood perches, usually in one of the large front display cases that are 3? feet in length, maybe more I'm just eyeballing). The petcare employees seem to really care and give correct information to potential customers. I've had a coworker fight a customer because he wanted a fish that would get a foot in length in a 3gal tank. Animals that need vet care, get vet care. I've personally driven animals to and from the vet for that department and they treated well and given the needed medicine and etc.

Their dog training practices are really sound too. I wouldnt be working with them if I didnt agree with it. Its positive reinforcement and uses clicker based training too. There is a lot of luring which I dont think is necessary in training but it isnt detrimental.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Happy to hear that your Petsmart Store is an example of doing it correct.

That should give you the confidence to meet and greet that leads to selling your training.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I wish it were that easy

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You are two thirds of the way there!!
Remember, you are making a change in how you interact with others.
You believe in your Store's customer care and you believe in your training, plus you know it will help others.
Brave-up a bit and plunge in!
All they can say is no!
Remember they are saying; no, to the training not you!!
Move-on to the next person!
You got this!!
I know that because you responded to me regarding your PetSmart!!
Believe in yourself and your want to help other people and their relationship with their pet!!
You can do this!!
I believe in You!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So, a couple weeks ago I finished the Petsmart accreditation program to become a dog trainer at my local store. I'm not at all worried about the training portion as I also went through KPA professional program and have a history in training.

The thing I'm struggling with are SALES. It's just as much a sales position as it is a position to train dogs. I am a very shy person and I hate being pushy and coercing people into buying something. I need to sell 1500$ worth of classes by next monday so that's on average 2 sales a day at our cheapest price. I'm struggling to get one sale a WEEK. I'm just so bad at it. Our lead sales person is going on vacation in like a week and itll be primarily on me to make sales and meet the quota while shes gone because the other training person I work with (theres 3 trainers in this store) doesnt do much despite doing this since february. So it was really laid on me how important it is that I make these sales and I'm just SO BAD at it. If wenmake these 1500$ worth of sales, my manager said she would reward us anyway we want (lunch, giftcards, etc) but all 3 of us have to individually make 1500$ worth of sales. So 4500$ total. By Monday.

How do I get better D: does anyone with experience in a sales heavy job have any advice? I've gotten a lot of advice from the person who trained me, my managers, and other people with more sales experience but I'm having a really hard time pushing myself to interact with customers because I'm afraid of being pushy. We have a donation drive going where we are selling stuffed animals for 5$ a piece and the stuffed animal + 1$ of the sale goes to childrens' hospitals. And I have a hard time asking people to spend hecking 5$ ontop of whatever they're there to buy. (since I dont have a lot of classes right now I help out with the rest of the store, including registers where these donations happen)

so please!! give me advice, I need to get better. If there are any books or infographics or something I can read too please let me know!
Sales jobs are not for everyone. Most people don't like being pushy and hate bring pressured to make sales. And most people hate pushy salespeople. Its so frustrating to be pressured to SELL SELL SELL when you dont like to push people. However if you are really nice to customers and take amazing care of their fur babies sales will happen without all the pressure. It will take time. If your employer doesn't understand that, use your pet training skills elsewhere. I suspect the other people in your position are also struggling with the sales aspect and don't make the quota either. Do they only pay you when you are training a dog or do you get paid when not training? Are you working on commission? What will they do to you if you don't make the quota? Fire you? So what? Did you sign any commitment to PetCo? Or anything that prevents you from politely voicing your opinion online about the pressure they are putting on you? Life's too short to put up with this pressure if it makes you uncomfortable and you don't have a "sales personality".
As for asking people to buy something and make a donation, be yourself and act natural. Tell them about the worthy cause with conviction and tell them that if they WANT to donate by making a $5 purchase that would be nice but it's up to them. And smile warmly. Don't push them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts