Need Help & Advice

IrisOwl

May 16, 2019
So I have had me and my parent's cockatiels (We have two) for over a year now and part of me wants to add another bird but I want to find the right one for me. My bird, Artemis, is not very active and prefers cuddles and scritches more than anything. I want a bird who is equally cuddly but playful and a bit active. I want a part who will attach to me but won't be rude or bite the rest of the family. But I am worried about noise as my mother is a bit noise sensitive.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Based on your concerns, it doesn't sound like another bird is your best bet right now. Atremis may or may not get along with a new one. They could get along, but they could also fight or attempt to mate. In the event that they have to be let out separately (due to the inability to get along) then you are looking at 2-3 hours out of cage time PER bird. There is no way to know whether the new bird would bond with your family or like "cuddles"...You already have 2--- a 3rd could definitely upset that balance....it could also impact your relationship with your current birds OR the relationship between your parents' birds could change as a result of a 3rd... A new bird would also require roughly 2 months quarantine in a totally separate room and, ideally, air space. This is because totally healthy birds (including those you already have) can silently spread deadly diseases which are more likely to shed during times of transition. It is important for the sake of your current and any future birds.

"I want a bird who is equally cuddly but playful and a bit active. I want a part who will attach to me but won't be rude or bite the rest of the family. But I am worried about noise as my mother is a bit noise sensitive." <-- If parrots were like this, no bird would ever end up being surrendered to a rescue. What you are looking for doesn't exist...On top of that, if you plan for a new bird to be "yours" then I would wait until you have a solid career, steady income etc. If this bird does bond to you and then lives 30 years, that could seriously complicate things for you in terms of future education plans, where you can live etc etc. Similarly, if it ends up bonding with your family or other birds, then taking it away from its flock if you move will also be hard on the bird.

Birds are often "rude" to those outside of their chosen circle/person, no way to know if a bird will like "cuddles" (but also, keep in mind that petting outside the head or neck is highly sexual and should be avoided in adult birds...same with access to shadowy places/huts/boxes= nesting environments)..3 birds= louder than 2, and some birds are much louder than others. There isn't even a way of knowing if a bird will attach to you---sometimes, people get birds and the bird bonds with a different family member (not the one who wanted to bird to begin with)...Then you've got puberty and potential jealousy issues (as you already have a pair that is potentially bonded)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts