Need help choosing my pet bird.ASAP

skyfall

Jun 6, 2012
Hey,
I am planning to get a parrot in few days.
My options are -
1.)Alexandrine Parrot
2.)Mustache parrot.
Basically these are the parrot species which I liked.

What am I looking in my bird pet ?
1.)Should be able to talk some words clearly like an IRN.
2.)Shouldnot be too cuddly like the conure [if he is I dont mind] , less cuddly is fine but total no-cuddly is not fine at all.
3.)Doesnt scream a lot.Once in a day, screaming is fine.

I have 3 budgies with me now.Been taking care of them for around 1 year so I think I am just fine to take on a parrot as a challenge.
Are their any other species which are in the 300$ range and which fit my criteria?

Please help me as soon as possible.
I really want to know more about Moustache Parrots and the diff between them and Alexandrines.I am more inclined to Moustache Parrots but you guys tell me its cons and other birds too.
Sorry for my poor english.
Ty a lot !

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the Forum:) I cant answer your question, as I am not familiar with either of these Birds, but someone will come along shortly that will be able to help:)

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
Welcome to the forum!

Why do you have to get one in a few days? A decision like this shouldn't be taken lightly and should definitely not be rushed. If you're not sure of what you want, why not take a bit more time and spend some time with birds of either species to figure out what you click with better?

Good luck!

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
well I don't know if you have time or the funds but there is a book called Parrots for Dummies and I found it very helpful when I chose my bird and mst any bird if socalized will be handlable if not down right cuddly . Hope this helps and welcome to the world of Parrots.

OP
S

skyfall

Jun 6, 2012
Thanks all .
I cant spend time with each specis as I stay in India were we don't have pet shops with diff pet birds here.The craze is more about dogs and budgies.The private breeders of the species which I want are very few and they have given me their opinions.

I really like the Mustache.But I want to know the cons.

Also for those who dont know any of the species which I have stated.
You can suggest me a species which fits my criteria.

Also I wont rush into buying a bird.Buying a bird is like a 20-40 yrs commitment so I wont rush at all.

Sorry for the ASAP title :p
That was to gain attention I guess. My BAD :D

Last edited:

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Hi,

I've spent a lot of time with Alexandrine Parakeets. They're inquisitive, intelligent and very beautiful. They can say a few words if you spend a lot of time teaching them (but it's important to remember that not all talk-able birds will talk!) They're not overly cuddly but in my experience they defiantly enjoy sitting on your arm or shoulder and like to play with any buttons or zips you're wearing! As for noise, they're not bad at all...They make cute little "honk" noises. Oh, and they'll do anything for monkey nuts!

I'd totally recommend one!

OP
S

skyfall

Jun 6, 2012
Hi,

I've spent a lot of time with Alexandrine Parakeets. They're inquisitive, intelligent and very beautiful. They can say a few words if you spend a lot of time teaching them (but it's important to remember that not all talk-able birds will talk!) They're not overly cuddly but in my experience they defiantly enjoy sitting on your arm or shoulder and like to play with any buttons or zips you're wearing! As for noise, they're not bad at all...They make cute little "honk" noises. Oh, and they'll do anything for monkey nuts!

I'd totally recommend one!

Thanks a lot !!
Can you compare them with Mustache Parrots ?

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I think you you are expecting a lot hoping for a parrot that talks clearly and only screams once a day. Besides asking here I suggest you go to youtube and search screaming birds of these species and examine if you can tolerate them before going any further. :)

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Hi skyfall,

Sadly I don't know much about Mustache Parakeets but I'm sure someone on here will do.

Greycloud is right about expecting a lot. Alexandrine Parakeets can learn to talk but it isn't very clear. Also when I said "as for noise, they're not bad at all" that was purely in my opinion so obviously check out their noise for yourself...What I say is "not that bad" might be hell to you!

Where do you plan to buy your parakeet? Is it possible to view them for a while before you buy? Do you live near any pet stores, sancturaies or zoos that have them that you can look at?

As well as thinking about what you'd like out of a pet bird, think about what a pet bird might like out of you.

Can you give one all the time, care and provide all of it's dietary needs?

Last edited:
OP
S

skyfall

Jun 6, 2012
I am fine with screaming but as I stay in an apartment,others might object.

What I meant by once a day screaming is that when it starts it shouldnt go on for hours !!

Like for example when my budgies scream they go for 5 mins and then they start singing.
Get the point ?

Sorry but I really mentioned my english was bad !!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
As said think about what the bird needs and not what you need. Learn and study about each species yourself. Parrots for Dummies is a wonderful place to start. Slow down, nothing is fast when it comes to birds.

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
I have a Mustache parakeet. He's the only one I've ever met, and I don't have any experience with Alexandrines, so I can't compare them.

Icarus doesn't have a very big vocabulary, and in the little over a year I've had him, he hasn't learned anything new. (He's a rescue and I don't know a single thing about his past, except that he apparently used to be named Sam and he was bred in FL). What he does say is very clear and he usually prefers to use his "words" instead of natural parrot vocalizations. From videos I've seen of IRNs, he's definitely quite similar sounding.

He yells a few times a day, usually only when I leave (it stops as soon as I'm out of sight) or when he hears a sudden noise. His yelling bouts rarely last more than about 5 seconds (in fact, they're usually much shorter than that). It's loud but he's never been what I would describe as ear-splitting.

I would not describe him as cuddly. He does NOT want to be touched anywhere other than his head, and he doesn't often tolerate head scratches either.
However, he is very sociable and prefers to be nearby or perching on me.

He can get a little moody, like pretty much all parrots. He doesn't bite often, but he will nip if he's in a bad mood.

I've lived in 2 apartments with him so far, and we've never gotten complaints. I shared my last apartment with 2 flatmates, and they weren't bothered by him at all.

I hope that helps. As I said, this is entirely based on a single individual, and I honestly don't know how representative he is.

Marnie

May 4, 2010
Williamsport, PA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot;
had
a Senegal &
2 love birds
"He yells a few times a day, usually only when I leave"
thats funny, my moustache was only noisy when i left the room too.
must be a Stache thing lol

Last edited:

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
just a note on the Alexandrine

Mine was the absolute best talker of any bird I have ever owned. The males talk much better then the females. They look ecactly the same until they go through 'puberty' at about 2 years so you need to get them DNAd if you really want a male. They are not so good at talking in context but the ability of mine to mimic my voice EXACTLY was incredible. He had a huge vocabulary and learned extremely quickly.

He wasnt that cuddly but definitly was keen to be with you, sit on your shoulder, etc.

Could be noisy but nothing like a too or a macaw. Mostly vocalises in the morning, a few schreeches but not tooo bad. Definitlely noisier than my eccie. He also learned to copy the cockateils scream but at about 100 decibels louder!! He would do her scream then say "shut up merv...good girl. Come on merv, come on merv...goood giiirrrllll", it was very cute.

oh one word of warning....I have NEVER seen a more destructive parrot than my alex. His beak was amazingly strong and he was extrtemely tenacious - he could reduce a perch to matchsticks very very fast!!

Great birds. More 'bird' like than my Eccie who is more like a human....I loved my alex!

Good luck!

OP
S

skyfall

Jun 6, 2012
I am more inclined towards the Mustache.
Its time to go to the breeders house and spend an hour with him.
Ty a lot guys !!

Also any tips to get a male selected ?
They dont show any identifications signs till 1-2 yrs just like the IRNs

But any other behavioural way to find out ?

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Ive had experience with both birds. So I guess I can compare them.

The mustache parrot was more nippy.There bites do hurt and they draw blood. (The one I know, it's my friends parrot). He wasn't very clear at talking. He had a small vocabulary. But he did learn those words very quickly. He was very curious about things. He wasn't cuddly and every time you tried to touch him he would try and bite. This guy was a handreared baby. The one I met was noisy but not as ear piercing as my alexandrines. Smaller than the alexandrine, even smaller than an IRN. But just.

I would say the Alexandrine is VERY clear at talking. They pick up on words very fast. My Alex can say, Ohhhh, I don't Know, Pikachu, Pikaboo, Hello, What, What's that, What ya doing, kiss and he meows. They have stable personalities so they just don't change all of a sudden like the mustache parrot. Very gentle birds. Alex doesn't liked to be cuddled while Yuki likes it. But then Alex has trust issues as his former owner didn't treat him so well. Both of mine give a squawk from time to time. Truly ear piercing. It's not loud it's just the pitch. But im sure you can train them out of it, I was able to get Alex out of the habit and now he meows instead. Very destructive, need A LOT of shredable toys or at least cockatoo toys. They can break through almost anything.

OP
S

skyfall

Jun 6, 2012
Ive had experience with both birds. So I guess I can compare them.

The mustache parrot was more nippy.There bites do hurt and they draw blood. (The one I know, it's my friends parrot). He wasn't very clear at talking. He had a small vocabulary. But he did learn those words very quickly. He was very curious about things. He wasn't cuddly and every time you tried to touch him he would try and bite. This guy was a handreared baby. The one I met was noisy but not as ear piercing as my alexandrines. Smaller than the alexandrine, even smaller than an IRN. But just.

I would say the Alexandrine is VERY clear at talking. They pick up on words very fast. My Alex can say, Ohhhh, I don't Know, Pikachu, Pikaboo, Hello, What, What's that, What ya doing, kiss and he meows. They have stable personalities so they just don't change all of a sudden like the mustache parrot. Very gentle birds. Alex doesn't liked to be cuddled while Yuki likes it. But then Alex has trust issues as his former owner didn't treat him so well. Both of mine give a squawk from time to time. Truly ear piercing. It's not loud it's just the pitch. But im sure you can train them out of it, I was able to get Alex out of the habit and now he meows instead. Very destructive, need A LOT of shredable toys or at least cockatoo toys. They can break through almost anything.

And your friend's Mustache is a male ? You sure about that ?

Marnie

May 4, 2010
Williamsport, PA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot;
had
a Senegal &
2 love birds
the moustache males have red beaks and the females are black, which makes it easy)
but i am not sure when this happens

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I have a female Alex and I've known a few moustaches(though I've never had one myself). I really wouldn't have either of these birds in an apartment without discussing it with your neighbors first. Our Alex is a good talker but she can be LOUD. One of my baby parronts was here last week and I asked her how she deals with having a sun conure, then my alex started yelling, she said the alex is way louder and just about the same pitch as her sun, just not quite as high, but close.

Most Reactions

Latest posts