Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Grady (Timneh) is especially entertained by "parrot the parrot", where he makes a sound, and I try to reproduce it. His skills far exceed mine, of course, with beeps, boops, and whistles. So, I cheated. I bought a train whistle, a "siren" whistle, a slide whistle, a water-filled-birdie whistle, etc. He is still entertained by them, but the novelty has worn off for him. I need some new, fairly-simple sound generator that will capture his interest. Please share your ideas.

1664580043696.png

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Jasper likes ā€œparrot the parrotā€, too. Where I imitate his vocalizations as close as possible, not always right on but getting the pitch correct.

It seems to make him happy. I figure as long as Iā€™m not imitating an upset noise, but a happy or contented noise, itā€™s probably good.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Grady (Timneh) is especially entertained by "parrot the parrot", where he makes a sound, and I try to reproduce it. His skills far exceed mine, of course, with beeps, boops, and whistles. So, I cheated. I bought a train whistle, a "siren" whistle, a slide whistle, a water-filled-birdie whistle, etc. He is still entertained by them, but the novelty has worn off for him. I need some new, fairly-simple sound generator that will capture his interest. Please share your ideas.

View attachment 44622
The singing bird water whistles sound nice.

View attachment 44622
the singing bird water whistles sound nice.

Iā€™m remembering, as a kid, how I so rarely GOT a slide whistle lollipop. Hmm. Now I think thatā€™s one of the most awful noises ever.

I bought a battery-operated ā€œyodeling pickleā€ for my Quaker, Lucy, thinking she would learn to imitate the yodel and I would have the worlds first one-eyed yodeling parrot. Unfortunately Lucy was afraid of the yodeling pickle and did not learn to imitate it. My chance for fame was lost.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR ! You could be listening to this whistle for decades, ad nauseum.
Thanks for sharing @wrench13! This is my first minute of interaction with the world today, and it put a big smile on my face. Salty is character, I'm sure.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Jasper likes ā€œparrot the parrotā€, too. Where I imitate his vocalizations as close as possible, not always right on but getting the pitch correct.

It seems to make him happy. I figure as long as Iā€™m not imitating an upset noise, but a happy or contented noise, itā€™s probably good.
Jasper... moody Meyers. Got it. :]

Yes, good point. I only play "parrot the parrot" when Grady is being jovial. It started very early on, when he was the only other living being in my house. The search was already on for a same-species, opposite-sex companion; but, I figured until then, if he needs someone to "talk to", I'm it.

I got recognizably close enough, I suppose, on a bunch of his many, many sounds. Then, he did a particular beep. He paused, waiting for me on my turn. I thought hard for a second, and I just couldn't even begin to make that sound. So, I just said, "Beep" and I chuckled at my own humor. This happened each day at some point, and after just a few days, Grady would make that ultra-challenging beeping sound, then, he would, without pause, say the onomatopoeia "beep"ā€”in my voiceā€”and laugh his Grady laugh (a previous owner's laugh?). I was speechless for a second, then I laughed, too, so he laughed more. Grady. He is something. Parrots are something, huh?

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Iā€™m remembering, as a kid, how I so rarely GOT a slide whistle lollipop. Hmm. Now I think thatā€™s one of the most awful noises ever.
I completely forgot about those! I cannot wait to bring that up in a conversation with my sister. :]
I bought a battery-operated ā€œyodeling pickleā€ for my Quaker, Lucy, thinking she would learn to imitate the yodel and I would have the worlds first one-eyed yodeling parrot. Unfortunately Lucy was afraid of the yodeling pickle and did not learn to imitate it. My chance for fame was lost.
You bought a what?! LOL I guess Greys are notorious for neophobia. I have to be careful how I introduce new things around Grady. He is sometimes afraid of them. He may move away. He may hold fast and growl, as he extends his neck super long. He may, on rare occasion fly at the object to attack, when I am holding it. Grady has full liberty, 24x7x364.25, so I also have to be careful where I put such objects afterwards. I leave the area, and I hear weird thumping, then small boom or crash. "Oh, Grady!" He went after "it" wherever he saw me put "it". Mea culpa.

I love to entertain him, but I never want to scare him.

What happened to Lucy, if I may ask?

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
I just discovered/realized that Salty is a YouTube star! He is a characterā€”and you've captured it on video, videos. šŸ˜ His laugh, I love it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thankee Lee. We do trick training almost every night, and Salty knows like 40+ different tricks now, in fact I have to come up with new ones all the time. We started when he was like 9 months old and he is 7 yrs old now, so thousands of training sessions. Most nights he is so eager and happy to do training, running from trick to trick.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Thankee Lee. We do trick training almost every night, and Salty knows like 40+ different tricks now, in fact I have to come up with new ones all the time. We started when he was like 9 months old and he is 7 yrs old now, so thousands of training sessions. Most nights he is so eager and happy to do training, running from trick to trick.
Wow, that is quite impressive, on your part and Salty's. I wish I had taken a little time to try out having just one parrot. I had it in my mind that he needed a fellow parrot, so it was only about a week with just the two of us. Then, I learned that the second parrot was relinquished along with a housemate. "I split up housemates?!" So, I quickly had three parrots. Like anything, it has pros and cons.

What "reinforcers"/treats does he like? What food are you using in this video?

Does it matter if he just ate "a meal"? I have minimal experience with training. I find myself "managing" more so. Is food motivation critical?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We use pine nuts, cut into 3rds or more, and we train every night almost immediately after he has his dinner of Chop, so he is not hungry. He LOVES training, and even more he love learning new tricks. Salty often gets a trick after being shown it once. SO many times, I am amazed at it. I tried to make a video on how to teach a new trick, figuring it would take a few times and I could show the steps involved. He did it in one try, so that was a fail.

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
This a little different than a whistle but consider a drum My birds have all loved the drum. I think it's the steady rhythm. But like everything there's limits, mine seem to like deeper sounds from any type of hand drum. When I started playing for my current buddy I played really softly but now she LOVES it and will stop and start dancing with the beat

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
This a little different than a whistle but consider a drum My birds have all loved the drum. I think it's the steady rhythm. But like everything there's limits, mine seem to like deeper sounds from any type of hand drum. When I started playing for my current buddy I played really softly but now she LOVES it and will stop and start dancing with the beat
Thanks, @Icca, I had not considered percussion. Grady loves strong tongue "clicks" and lip "pops", so you probably just expanded his world!

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Amazon thought I should become aware of "steel tongue drums". The name is quite intriguing, but it seems more like a xylophone, than a drum. Grady would probably like a xylophone, actually.

Hey, why don't all Greys come with this kit?!

1664844013262.png

Grady is in for a treat!

I suppose I should just go all-in.
1664844073134.png

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
No idea if they still make these, but we have one from when our oldest kiddo was little. They can tap/peck the keys on the front or use it traditional xylophone style. None of my birds were interested, but a few of our chickens loved it. :) Nearly indestructible too. Ours is 25+years old, though never subject to parrot chewing. šŸ¤£
1664879114512.png

Last edited:

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Amazon thought I should become aware of "steel tongue drums". The name is quite intriguing, but it seems more like a xylophone, than a drum. Grady would probably like a xylophone, actually.

Hey, why don't all Greys come with this kit?!

View attachment 44706

Grady is in for a treat!

I suppose I should just go all-in.
View attachment 44707
That getup definitely needs a parrot on his shoulderšŸ˜„

Most Reactions

Latest posts