Need help understanding finch breeding behavior...

Mz Luv

Jun 22, 2022
Parrots
Zebra finches
I have had a male zebra finch for about a year. I recently bought him a female. It was love at first sight. They hung out and preened each other constantly. I only saw them mate 1 or 2 times...but soon the female was in the nest basket i had hanging in their cage. She started spending alot of time in there as the male built a nest from the outside and she helped from the inside. Typically he likes to build colossal nests but he got through fairly quick and When she would come out he would go in so i figured they were incubating eggs. Unfortunately i bought one of those nest baskets you can not see into. Assuming they had eggs.....i counted off 3 weeks give or take a couple days to see if their behavior would indicate they were now feeding babies. I expected to see them eating food than going back in the nest than coming back out again and eating etc. But instead they are in the nest together almost constantly. They hardly leave but to grab some water a bit of food and go right in. Im trying to figure out what they are doing..
Any ideas?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Most Reactions

Latest posts