Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
hello, me again-
so today i found 3 baby sparrows in my garden
the nest was absoultly shredded and the mother is no where to be seen
2 of the sparrows are fledglings but cant fly that well
1 of them is nearly a fledgling its just his wings didn't grow fully yet
can i just crush pellets mix it with water and feed them that?
ive had experience with alot of baby birds before so i kinda know what im doing
or should i leave hem be and see if the mother pops up?
ive got a couple bird houses/nests should i put them in it and put it the saame place i found the nest?
wwhat should i do with them
any tips are appretiated

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Of I was in your shoes if keep the remaining chicken warm and research how to feed them and if they are a native species and not considered invasive I'd call a wildlife rehabbed- invasive species most rehapper will not take in or they will euthanize them0 . Can you post a photo to gage how old

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Of I was in your shoes if keep the remaining chicken warm and research how to feed them and if they are a native species and not considered invasive I'd call a wildlife rehabbed- invasive species most rehapper will not take in or they will euthanize them0 . Can you post a photo to gage how old
we don't have any wildlife rehab in my area
and I don't think they will take in sparrows either
the guys are HORRIFIED of the phone they start flying and calling and I don't want to cause them too much stress
ill take a photo later on
they are in a warm box at the moment and I feed them soaked pellets a minute ago
they seem to be able to eat seed themselves so I gave them a bit

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Okay I am quite confused. If you had lots of experience with baby birds before, then why the question what to feed?
Main idea with fledglings is to feed protein rich food, I was suggested boiled egg whites dunked in water unless I have some nice fat larvae. The egg was an SOS food. Never heard of feeding crushed pellets mixed with water to a baby bird..

Must you feed them or are they eating on their own?

Also, how in the name of all that is saint you keep them in a box (uncovered, i hope),Without them escaping? I know once we found a fledgling of a rust-tail (shoot me i dont know the name in english) who couldn't fly, yet was hopping all around so I had to keep it in the small transport cage.

Be careful as baby birds are super sensitive.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
we don't have any wildlife rehab in my area
and I don't think they will take in sparrows either
the guys are HORRIFIED of the phone they start flying and calling and I don't want to cause them too much stress
ill take a photo later on
they are in a warm box at the moment and I feed them soaked pellets a minute ago
they seem to be able to eat seed themselves so I gave them a bit
Once, an owner of a pet food shop, told me that she found a tiny hairless sparrow with out the parent. From what I remember, the baby was given soaked pellet, no drinking water, and keep warm.
Turn out, this baby grew up to be very tame and followed her around the shop every day for years.

You reminded me of this similar situation, and I think you are doing everything right. Two Thumbs up. They are lucky to have you. 👍 👍

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Okay I am quite confused. If you had lots of experience with baby birds before, then why the question what to feed?
Main idea with fledglings is to feed protein rich food, I was suggested boiled egg whites dunked in water unless I have some nice fat larvae. The egg was an SOS food. Never heard of feeding crushed pellets mixed with water to a baby bird..

Must you feed them or are they eating on their own?

Also, how in the name of all that is saint you keep them in a box (uncovered, i hope),Without them escaping? I know once we found a fledgling of a rust-tail (shoot me i dont know the name in english) who couldn't fly, yet was hopping all around so I had to keep it in the small transport cage.

Be careful as baby birds are super sensitive.
i meant i had experinced with parrots never with sparrows-
thay sometimes give a nibble or two to the seeds i offered
its one of these transperent nest boxes i have no idea what they are called anyway,
you get the point (atleast i think you do)
simmilar to the one you mentioned

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
i meant i had experinced with parrots never with sparrows-
thay sometimes give a nibble or two to the seeds i offered
its one of these transperent nest boxes i have no idea what they are called anyway,
you get the point (atleast i think you do)
simmilar to the one you mentioned
You mean the plastic basket/box thing?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Once, an owner of a pet food shop, told me that she found a tiny hairless sparrow with out the parent. From what I remember, the baby was given soaked pellet, no drinking water, and keep warm.
Turn out, this baby grew up to be very tame and followed her around the shop every day for years.

You reminded me of this similar situation, and I think you are doing everything right. Two Thumbs up. They are lucky to have you. 👍 👍
How odd!!! I truly never heard of crushed pellets + water! I clearly remembered asking the vet, perhaps it had to do with a different species which is why we weren't suggested to do so..

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I found some info that maybe helpful to you

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I found some info that maybe helpful to you

thank you very much :)
i dont think ill release them tho you have to train them to forage food in the wild and stuff
probably will get them a large cage outside

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
When I was about 13 y.o. (over 50 yrs ago!) my neighbor brought over a baby English Sparrow she found in her front yard. The bird was very young,not even with feathers yet! My mom asked local vet on what to feed. I made a mixture of corn meal,some egg and freeze dried small critter food from a pet store for fish and froggy's. I also went into the back yard and dug up worms and caught flies! Hey this was 50 yrs ago,no innerweb or googly to search! And Chii-Chii (named him after the sound of his chirp sounded) and he thrived! Grew up strong and would fly to me when called. Took him outside to forage on the ground,went on vacation to Vermont with us...flew across Lake Champlain where my Granpa had to get in the motor boat and cross to the other side where when called Chii-Chii flew to him.

Unfortunately one day outside foraging I didn't see the neighbor's CAT sneak up and grab him :-(
I jumped up and grabbed that effin cat by it's throat until he released Chii-Chii..he was already gone by then..broke my heart.
Two weeks later that same cat was hit by a car crossing the street..what comes around goes around or however that saying goes..

Jim

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
When I was about 13 y.o. (over 50 yrs ago!) my neighbor brought over a baby English Sparrow she found in her front yard. The bird was very young,not even with feathers yet! My mom asked local vet on what to feed. I made a mixture of corn meal,some egg and freeze dried small critter food from a pet store for fish and froggy's. I also went into the back yard and dug up worms and caught flies! Hey this was 50 yrs ago,no innerweb or googly to search! And Chii-Chii (named him after the sound of his chirp sounded) and he thrived! Grew up strong and would fly to me when called. Took him outside to forage on the ground,went on vacation to Vermont with us...flew across Lake Champlain where my Granpa had to get in the motor boat and cross to the other side where when called Chii-Chii flew to him.

Unfortunately one day outside foraging I didn't see the neighbor's CAT sneak up and grab him :-(
I jumped up and grabbed that effin cat by it's throat until he released Chii-Chii..he was already gone by then..broke my heart.
Two weeks later that same cat was hit by a car crossing the street..what comes around goes around or however that saying goes..

Jim
thats very sad to hear :(
rip chii-chii

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
thats very sad to hear :(
rip chii-chii
Thank you very much. My mom actually called the local newspaper where they took a picture of me feeding Chii-Chii with a plastic ice cream spoon and put it in the "local" section of the paper. A very cool thing for a 13 y.o. :)

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts