Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
as you all know we adopted a 2 and half year old grey almost 2 weeks ago , he was on a seed diet with kaytee pellets, I have been just putting a small amount of seed mixed in with some kaytee pellets , he loves his seed but hardly touches the kaytee pellets , I think she gave me the wrong info here am thinking he was just on seed , so I ordered some Intune Pellets by Higgins and some kaytee pellets I have already tried the zupreme and it was a no go , not even Opey or Rocky will touch a z upreme pellet , the seed mix I have been giving him was the kaytee but as of today I bought some Goldenfeast Central from the bird store and still mixed in some kaytee pellets , now he is eating the Goldenfeast so he hasn't touched a pellet

any ides on how to get him on pellets?
a friend of mine mentioned hariison pellets with hemp seed on top ok that's good , he has 2 food bowls so do I put his Goldenfeast in the other bowl or mix it in both bowls? I'am totally stuck on how to do this , my other 2 eat Roudybush and nope he won't eat that either
any help will be greatly appreciated ty all

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
First of all, you need to always be persistent when changing food! Don't try little this little that. IF there's a seed bowl being offered, they usually will always go for that first no matter what else you offer them especially when that's what they're used to. I have helped several members in here to convert. Here's how I switch!

I leave a bowl of pellets in the cage all day long everyday. In the morning I give a bowl of fruits and veggies. In the evening I give minimal seeds like a table spoon full. By the morning I remove the left over seed crumbs and repeat the process all over again. During anytime in the process if you witness him eating the pellets good, don't feed any seeds that evening, not even nuts or treats! Lay off the treats and nuts for a month then offer the treats and nuts again in small amounts. And keep doing the fruit and veggie bowl. It's a easy process but you must be persistent!

OP
RockysMom

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
sounds like a plan but I work all different hours and my hubby works day shift , so between the 2 of us they always get and evening meal , sometimes I have to be at work at 7am and sometimes at 8 and sometimes I work afternoons , I would like to switch him to Harrisons one day but right now I just want him to eat some pellets , I think it's to early to make the switch for him so that is my plan for the future , I have cut down on his Golden feast some , that's what I'am giving him for seed not that kaytee stuff so do you have another idea?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I usually wait a month before converting to pellets but I would offer it to them to see what they think. IF they like it and go for it, great, if not I start the process in a month period. Since your thinking about converting him to pellets, it doesn't really matter on the seeds he's eating at the moment if that's what he came with. Both my partner and I work all the time and long hours but we still get it done. But you must be persistent and consistent! You can precut most of the veggies and fruits the night before and put it in his bowl in the morning before work. It's really a simple process once you start you'll realize it's not that complicated or time consuming!

Most Reactions

Latest posts