Need ideas...for a "fluffy" toy?

kagan1042

Feb 11, 2014
Qld, Australia
Parrots
*Verde Birdy gcc 20.12.13-15.03.14 RIP sweet girl *

* Frootie - cinnamon gcc 26.01.14 *
* Pinky - Galah - early 1980's *
Last night Frootie and I were snuggling before bed and I had a bathmat over the back of the couch (so she doesn't slip off the leather) and she was running back oand forth over the furry parts and started to preen it.

I was wondering if there's some sort of a fluffy something I could make or buy that she could preen, and if this is a desirable behaviour?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Another member here on the forum, Allee, makes fleece swings for her birds that look amazing! She uses them for her pluckers and they love to preen on them.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Some birds like stuffed animal dog toys. I'd use with supervision since they're really not made with birds in mind. If it looks safe and no loops or anything to get head or feet snared in, why not try it? Dog toys are so cute, and they have a huge selection at the big stores like PetSmart. I once bought a zebra, but I took it away from a bird I had, because it was too cute to tear up. I wanted it! The bird didn't mind anyway lol.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Awww, Thanks Terry. You will be making your own swings very soon. :)

Jenphilly, another forum member also makes fleece preening toys, maybe she will share some ideas. :) All parrots are different and a safe toy for one, may not be so safe for another. My swings started out as preening toys but for two members of my flock, they are more of a comfort toy. My U2 has had one for sixth months and sleeps in it every night. My quaker snuggles in her swing after a bath. I would much rather see a parrot pluck a toy than pluck itself. You could start with a small hanging toy and see if that works for your bird. Make sure the fleece is not treated with fire retardant, it should say on the end of the bolt of cloth. I would also let your bird play with his new toy under supervision at first as with any toy.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
I make the fleece preeners for shelter babies, tho most of our birds have them too. Victoria's rescue too, Folger, is a huge fan of them, he has multiple in his cage. I came up with one just for him that he can literally get under the fleece, all you see are his feet sticking out :)

Here are some photos. You can make these with the plastic chains, but I do not like the thought of beaks getting caught in the plastic. The ones I make are all fleece, I literally tie / braid the fleece so its all knotted and no plastic links to get anything caught in.

Depending on size of bird, you can make them fuller or longer by using more fleece strips in the center for what is tied onto and braided or just tie in more pieces so its more fat and fluffy, hope that makes sense!!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Make sure the fleece is not treated with fire retardant, it should say on the end of the bolt of cloth.

EXCELLENT POINT! The stuff that is NOT treated will specifically say not to be used for children's pajamas. I have never seen the treated fabric (well fleece and flannel anyways) have any indication it has been treated, but ti warns you when it hasn't.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Forgot to mention, I also wash the fabric before I cut... and to keep the strength of the fabric, refold the piece you purchase. You don't want to cut the fabric how it is folded... if you fold it the opposite way and cut lengths, the fabric is stronger and the edges won't roll.

OP
K

kagan1042

Feb 11, 2014
Qld, Australia
Parrots
*Verde Birdy gcc 20.12.13-15.03.14 RIP sweet girl *

* Frootie - cinnamon gcc 26.01.14 *
* Pinky - Galah - early 1980's *
thank you!! They look great :)

I'll hit up my local fabric shop for some untreated fleece - I think Frootie face will LOVE these

Most Reactions