need some help...

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
Hey all,

A little background first:

Worked in a pet store that was comprised solely of birds for a couple years back when I was going to college. The owner was a friend who bred most of her own birds, except for some of the larger ones. Thus began my fascination with them.

I started with z cockatiel, then added a Quaker, and then personally hand raised an African Grey. The grey was my best friend for almost 2 years until career and kids took away most of my free time.

Fast forward 10 years and now I am married with 3 awesome kids. 2, 8, 10.

I have always wanted to own a B/G or Greenwing Macaw. My wife is a big animal lover also and is dead set on a Malucan Cockatoo.

Now we had a malucan at the pet store that was a store bird and was perfect and I really loved that bird, however during my research on them, all I see are horror stories from owners. Severe biting being a common theme. Having kids makes this even more worriesome.

My wife is a stay at home mom so interaction is not an issue, but I really want to make the right choice. She assumes that since I want a mcaw that I am only going to show her the negatives about them.

Please help with opinions, links, good and bad of all choices.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Don't listen to horror stories, focus on you bird, is it OK or not ?
Ner leave the perrot alone with your children.
If you have the time why not also a macaw ?

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
Yea, not all birds are the same, but keep in mind the noise of a cockatoo, and I'm sure your house is already a little noisy with three children. It seems like you really know what you are doing though, and cockatoos are the most affectionate birds I have ever worked with! And macaws are so fun, but they can also be loud. So what you are basically working with is a fluffy, loud, affectionate, powdery bird, Vs. a big bundle of fun, that has an intimidating beak, that also can be very affectionate and loud. Haha, I'm sure there are much bigger differences, but from what I can see right now, if you don't care about noise, mess, or time, you would be a perfect "pet" for a Moluccan, or a B&G or Greenwing! It is all up to you, the bird, and of course your wife since she is stay at home, and will pretty much be with the bird 24/7!

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
I don't listen to horror stories, if I did I wouldn't own any parrots.

All parrots are great if they are raised right, the most important thing is to buy from a reputable breeder. Never buy a bird over the age of weaning, it's common for breeders to STOP handling between the time they are weaned... and the time they are sold. It's also important to make sure they are weaned long enough. Ekkies for instance take 6 months, any earlier can cause severe behavior problems. I love the Moluccan Cockatoos!! Except for their noise, if they were a more quiet species I'd own one. Do some research, go hold a few and listen to their noise. You'll never know unless you try.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I LOVE Moluccan Cockatoo!!!! They're one of my favorite, always wanted one for many years. Then I finally was gonna get one and couldn't find one in my area for a long long time. Then we ended up getting a Eclectus pair cause my partner wanted them for years so we compromised on them instead. I fell in love with my Eclectus pair and don't regret it one bit. Right after getting them, here comes a bunch of Moluccan Cockatoos available in my area and rescue center asking me to adopt them left and right. Because we were at our limit, I can not adopt another bird or I'll be whacked here at home...lol.... They can be temperamental like you said. They need someone who understands them completely, they're not the type of bird to be owned by anyone! We have our Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo that we had for the past 7 years. She's a sweetie pie, but can be temperamental at times too.

We have a Blue & Gold Macaw, but he's a one person bird. He will only come to me or the dogs, NOT another bird or person!!!! I personally do not trust him with children either....But that's something for you to think about, they do have that big beak! Of course Green Wing are more mellow, but still....I would trust my Eclectus pair around children though as they are sweet and mellow. Very quiet, great talkers, and can learn to cuddle!!!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
you all have to live in the house :) i have read certain birds have erm... regular calling rituals various time throughout day or night lol so those might factor in how you make your choice

put your kids 1st for now, as in allergy test them before getting a dusty bird :) but best to invest in a air filter anyways

and as said above ignore horror stories! simply if you read what nut has gotten herself into etc, you'd prob think all sennies are pure evil, with added venom!

but with saying that a resident of mine had 2 cockatoo's (don't know what kind) an she said they where naughty but so loving an gentle

good luck an keep us up dated :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I agree with being very skeptical about any anecdotal information you get. Try to get personality info from informed but unemotional sources. I found that Avian.web is a good resource for general information.

There are some types of parrots that I would not want to have as part of my family because of my personality and lifestyle, however, that doesn't say anything bad about me or the parrot. There are wonderfully nice people in the world that I just don't want to spend time with and they don't want to spend time with me...doesn't mean either of us is a bad person.

Try to personally visit as many of the kinds of parrots that you're interested in as possible. We were lucky to find a very knowledgable breeder who gave us very good advice and didn't just try to sell us one of her birds. She loves her birdies and wants everyone one to be in a happy healthy home. These resources were invaluable to us.

Good luck and get the bird you want and will be happy with. They live a very long time and it would suck to have one that just doesn't fit into your family or lifestyle.

OP
D

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
thanks all for the replies.

I am obviously partial to Macaws, however I think all birds are just awesome. The wife really wants a Malucan. Again the only experience I have with Malucan's is the one in particular that was the store bird. Amazingly sweet and loving personality.

Do you think that having two birds in the house is better when it comes to them? I mean getting a macaw and the malucan is not a bad idea. Lets them bond with both the family and be around another bird? My check book may not like this option as much though! ;)

Noise is of no real concern to us. My only concern is the children and birds playing nice together. Of course I would never leave them alone together, but I do want to make the best choice for the family.

2manypets

Jul 24, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
Green cheek conure-Rio
Just putting this out there but if the kids are going to be playing with/handling the birds I would go with something smaller. I have read stories (on this forum) about birds becoming one-person birds and attacking others in the family. That would most likely not end well if that is what were to happen. I am no expert so it is ultimatley up to you and your family.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Soooo.... you've never heard of any the Macaw horror stories? Just throw n that out there.

I've never been bitten by any Cockatoo that I've handled (including the one I own) but I have been bitten by a few macaws (the worst bite being a Green wing - Green wings are still my favorite of the macaws). Each bird is different. Macaws are the clowns of the bird world and when my schedule clears a little I'm going to try to find one. The Moluccans are equally as awesome. Your talking about two completely different birds. Each bird is an individual and is going to act different than others. There are 'traits' of each breed but each bird is going to behave based on their previous handling experience. I was told by my vet that there are two types of Moluccans: really really sweet ones who want attention from anyone they can get it from and really mean ones who don't want to be touched by anyone. My Moluccan is AWESOME and wouldn't trade for the world. She loves attention, has never bitten me or anyone shes come in contact with. Even after they held her down and drew blood from her neck yesterday she still wanted to go back to the tech that did it for attention when it was done. She goes to any stranger in the house, in fact she thinks that if someone comes over that they are coming to see her and she shows off for them. She also has a very good vocabulary and is a good talker. The only thing that I would caution with a Moluccan is that they have to have a lot of attention. With as many people as you have in the house it doesn't sound like it would be a problem.

With children I would watch a Macaw. I love them but they like to see what they can get away with. They constantly test the boundaries that you lay down, and you constantly and consistently have to remind them of their boundaries. I would be worried of the bite that a greenwing can inflict vs. the bite a Moluccan can inflict. Birds no matter how well handled and raised can still be unpredictable at times. With that being said both of these breeds require a lot of structure. You shouldn't be scared of the Moluccans or the Macaws based solely on horror stories. Any bird is capable of acting out if its not in a loving, stable, and respecting household. The environment the bird is in is going to dictate how the bird is going to behave. Its not really a Moluccan vs. Macaw which is better type of thing, its the environment that you plan on bringing them into thats important. If your going to get both then I would get one, let it settle into a solid routine and then add the other. Oh and remember that you are adding another child (no matter which on you choose) to your household. With either one, you are getting a permanent two year old for the next 60+ years and for that entire time they have to take priority over everything in the household or the bird suffers. This is a serious commitment for the rest of your life, no bird should have to experience more than one owner - it is sad that so many get shuffled around from house to house - it isn't fair to the bird. Make sure your wife knows what it is really like to take care of a large parrot before bringing one home. I'm not trying to offend you or anything, sorry if I did. With all that said, I can't picture my life without a parrot and I hope that you can fulfill that emptiness no matter which bird you decide to bring home.

OP
D

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
Soooo.... you've never heard of any the Macaw horror stories? Just throw n that out there.

I've never been bitten by any Cockatoo that I've handled (including the one I own) but I have been bitten by a few macaws (the worst bite being a Green wing - Green wings are still my favorite of the macaws). Each bird is different. Macaws are the clowns of the bird world and when my schedule clears a little I'm going to try to find one. The Moluccans are equally as awesome. Your talking about two completely different birds. Each bird is an individual and is going to act different than others. There are 'traits' of each breed but each bird is going to behave based on their previous handling experience. I was told by my vet that there are two types of Moluccans: really really sweet ones who want attention from anyone they can get it from and really mean ones who don't want to be touched by anyone. My Moluccan is AWESOME and wouldn't trade for the world. She loves attention, has never bitten me or anyone shes come in contact with. Even after they held her down and drew blood from her neck yesterday she still wanted to go back to the tech that did it for attention when it was done. She goes to any stranger in the house, in fact she thinks that if someone comes over that they are coming to see her and she shows off for them. She also has a very good vocabulary and is a good talker. The only thing that I would caution with a Moluccan is that they have to have a lot of attention. With as many people as you have in the house it doesn't sound like it would be a problem.

With children I would watch a Macaw. I love them but they like to see what they can get away with. They constantly test the boundaries that you lay down, and you constantly and consistently have to remind them of their boundaries. I would be worried of the bite that a greenwing can inflict vs. the bite a Moluccan can inflict. Birds no matter how well handled and raised can still be unpredictable at times. With that being said both of these breeds require a lot of structure. You shouldn't be scared of the Moluccans or the Macaws based solely on horror stories. Any bird is capable of acting out if its not in a loving, stable, and respecting household. The environment the bird is in is going to dictate how the bird is going to behave. Its not really a Moluccan vs. Macaw which is better type of thing, its the environment that you plan on bringing them into thats important. If your going to get both then I would get one, let it settle into a solid routine and then add the other. Oh and remember that you are adding another child (no matter which on you choose) to your household. With either one, you are getting a permanent two year old for the next 60+ years and for that entire time they have to take priority over everything in the household or the bird suffers. This is a serious commitment for the rest of your life, no bird should have to experience more than one owner - it is sad that so many get shuffled around from house to house - it isn't fair to the bird. Make sure your wife knows what it is really like to take care of a large parrot before bringing one home. I'm not trying to offend you or anything, sorry if I did. With all that said, I can't picture my life without a parrot and I hope that you can fulfill that emptiness no matter which bird you decide to bring home.

Wonderful reply, and it is good to hear from a Malucan Owner. I did not mean to sound like I was comparing the two types of birds, and actually although I have seen a few Macaw horror stories, I have seen far more Cockatoo ones. Also, please understand that except for one Cockatoo, my experience is very limited with them, however I have handled many many Macaws, although never owned one.

I do want to thank everyone for their replies, and I think I found a great forum!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My worst bite came from a Cockatoo, just to let Molcan2 know....and I've handled a lot of Macaws....

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Everyone is going to have a different story when it comes to different types of birds. Since you only have had experience with one Moluccan I thought I'd share how lovely mine is. This way if your wife is dead set on a Moluccan you'll know that their not all bad. Everyone who meets mine wants to take her home. Also there is a pet store down the road that has a Moluccan as a permanent store bird and that one is super friendly and sweet as well.

As for the bite, that was just my personal experience that I have had. Not saying that one bites harder or worse than the other, this to will be determined by the individual bird when it decides how hard it wants to bite you.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Also the reason that you probably hear about more Cockatoo horror stories is because Cockatoos are very sensitive birds and are more often than not mishandled. They are great to have in the right environment, but if in the wrong one they don't simply put up with it, they act out (biting, shredding, plucking, screaming...etc.). Sooo many people just simply don't understand how to handle a Cockatoo or meet it's needs. When the bird acts out its often easier for people to blame the bird than it is for them to accept that they were the ones that caused the negative behaviors in the first place.

OP
D

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
Also the reason that you probably hear about more Cockatoo horror stories is because Cockatoos are very sensitive birds and are more often than not mishandled. They are great to have in the right environment, but if in the wrong one they don't simply put up with it, they act out (biting, shredding, plucking, screaming...etc.). Sooo many people just simply don't understand how to handle a Cockatoo or meet it's needs. When the bird acts out its often easier for people to blame the bird than it is for them to accept that they were the ones that caused the negative behaviors in the first place.

I noticed you are pretty close to me location wise. I am in Volusia County. Any recommended breeders or where did you get your M2 from?

Care to share some tips on what you have done to keep your bird happy and friendly?

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
I actually got my Too given to me about five/six weeks ago by a family that needed to re-home her to due circumstances in the house. She is 16 yrs old and has settled in wonderfully, she honestly couldn't be a more perfect bird (for a Too, she sometimes throws some tantrums). I always recommend trying to rescue one but I'm not against going to a breeder either. I'm not sure of any particular breeder in the area. Most of these guys end up in rescues because of how demanding they can be and how misunderstood they are:(.

Here is a link that to a bird that I was looking at: Petfinder Adoptable Parrot | Cockatoo | Eustis, FL | Tiki

Just in case that link doesn't work:
There is a Moluccan at a rescue that I would have picked up, had I not been offered Romeo. Go to petfinder.com put the area code 32726 and search for birds, scroll down and you will see a Moluccan named Tiki, the price is more than reasonable and he is only 7yrs (so you'll still have like 60+ yrs to spend with him). He seems sweet.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
As far as keeping a Moluccan happy hmmm, where do I start......well, honestly it takes a lot. Provide a loving, stable, respectable, mentally stimulating environment, boundaries, toys to shred, cuddling, attention, attention, attention, and then sprinkle on a little more attention and you'll have a happy Too. Right now I haven't had her for very long so she is trying to see what she can get away with from time to time. They will test you at times. Too's are notorious for screaming. The most important thing to remember is to ignore any unwanted behavior. When they scream don't react, ignore the behavior and remove yourself from them (this is the opposite reaction they want, they are screaming to get your attention). ANY reaction is seen as a reward and will reinforce the screaming.Other than that, the other major complaint is biting. Don't invade the bird's personal space and you wont get bit, pet the bird in areas that it allows you to until you form a bond and eventually you'll be able to touch the bird where ever you want (Toos love to be pet everywhere they can be touched). Don't assume that a Cockatoo always wants to cuddle. What we have done with Romeo is taught her that when she wants our attention she has to come down and sit on top of her open cage door. If she is not on top of the open cage door then we respect her wishes and don't try to pick her up. This gives her control over when she gets physical attention. Giving them their space on their terms is vital, don't force them to do something they don't want - this = biting. When Romeo wants to go back to her cage she usually faces the direction of the cage and lifts her foot and then we put her back. By listing to subtle physical cues you will give the bird what it wants before the bird feels like it has to bite you in order to get its point across.

OP
D

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
I actually got my Too given to me about five/six weeks ago by a family that needed to re-home her to due circumstances in the house. She is 16 yrs old and has settled in wonderfully, she honestly couldn't be a more perfect bird (for a Too, she sometimes throws some tantrums). I always recommend trying to rescue one but I'm not against going to a breeder either. I'm not sure of any particular breeder in the area. Most of these guys end up in rescues because of how demanding they can be and how misunderstood they are:(.

Here is a link that to a bird that I was looking at: Petfinder Adoptable Parrot | Cockatoo | Eustis, FL | Tiki

Just in case that link doesn't work:
There is a Moluccan at a rescue that I would have picked up, had I not been offered Romeo. Go to petfinder.com put the area code 32726 and search for birds, scroll down and you will see a Moluccan named Tiki, the price is more than reasonable and he is only 7yrs (so you'll still have like 60+ yrs to spend with him). He seems sweet.

Linked worked, and I think i may go check him out. Great price with the cage. Not too sure about an adult bird with all these kids though, but we will see. Thanks so much for the info and the advice you have given.

Most Reactions

Latest posts