Need urgent help

manni

Sep 28, 2012
Hey...

I have 2 parrots which are in one cage. Today, I was cleaning the cage on my terrace and didn't closed the door completely, one parrot ran out and at the same time, one cat attacked on it. I used one stick and hit on the cat. She ran. ( Cat is wild, not anyone's pet).

I got my parrot, but it was bleeding from neck which is down to his beak. I applied Soframycin on its wound. It stops bleeding now, but neither eating anything nor drinking water.

Can anyone tell me that is Soframycin OK or do I need any other thing..
What to do if it is not eating anything, just sat on the top of the cage..

Please replay asap..

thnx in advance......

OP
M

manni

Sep 28, 2012
There is neither service like this in my area nor in my city..

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I would take to GOOD avian vet, bird will need antibiotics for infection.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Hi Manni, this is an emergency situation. Soframycin is a topical antibiotic. Your bird, in order to survive is going to need oral antibiotics. The behavior of your is due to it being in shock from the trauma. If you could tell us where you are located we can point you in the direction of vet care. You can PM me if you like. I have lists of vets all over the world.
A bite from a cat is extremely toxic to birds. Especially a stray cat! They carry a bacteria called Pastuerella in their saliva. If your bird is to survive it will need oral meds.
In the meantime you need to keep your parrot in a cage with some lights on one side to keep it warm. Do not force it to eat right now. I also worry about internal injuries at this point.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I think Manni might be in a country/area where taking animals to the vet is not common?
Manni, if there are no vets around the place then keep your bird warm, for a start. It may be shock, as others have said. Unfortunately none of us are veterinarians so we can't give you any good advice :(
Depending on where you are, there may be travelling veterinarians or veterinarians at training facilities somewhere within suitable travelling distance. Where are you situated, I may be able to hunt down a vet who could see your bird?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Unfortunately if you have no avian vets in your city the outcome doesn't look good. Cat saliva is full of deadly bacteria that can kill a bird in less then a day, and the damage you explained sounds pretty serious.

*edit*
Definitely keep your bird warm, you can use a small aquarium and reptile heat dome (I think it should be about 106 degrees) which will work really well at keeping your bird warm. when they are injured or sick they have trouble keeping warm.

Last edited:

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
how far is your closest avian vet ? i think if its less then 3 hours away go for it, this should not be taken lightly. If you dont have a avian vet and its more then 3 hours away then heat,food,pray, and heat again. Heat is the MOST important thing.the outcome of your bird is foggy if theyre is no vets in the area. i do not mean to be mean and certainly not rude but why did you get a bird if there is no avian vet in the area ?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A lot of people get into bird keeping without even realizing their are vets who treat birds. I was one of them.

There are also people who live in remote areas of the world where avian vets are extremely hard to come by, if they exist. Why deny someone the pleasure of a pet based upon the availability of another person to treat said pet?

I hope the bird is doing fine. Lacking an avian vet, the next best option is to find a regular vet willing to work with an a-vet treating the bird... or at least a regular vet who knows a bit about caring for birds. Lacking even that, it's possible to do phone/skype consultations with some avian vets - for a fee, of course. There are labs that are even willing to take blood samples for disease testing from private owners, thus surpassing the need for an a-vet... that is, assuming you know what diseases to test for. However, if the bird ends up sick, you'll still need an a-vet to tell you what medications to give in what amount... plus the prescription to get said medications. Occasionally, these medications can be bought through pharmacy's for humans, as long as you have the prescription.

In short, there are options out there, even if no a-vet is anywhere near you.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Even a "farm" type vet would have some knowledge of birds, though more so chickens, turkeys, ducks, the antibiotic should be the same, just a different dosage. It's worth a shot to try all of your options.

OP
M

manni

Sep 28, 2012
Hey guys.. Thnx for all of ur suggestion, unfortunately, there is no vet service near my area..

But the good thing is, my parrot is OK right now.. Eating, having fun as it was before.. it is all OK...

Thnx for ur help and suggestion....

Supriya

Dec 8, 2012
India, WB & UP(in laws)
Parrots
3 alexandrines
Hey...

I have 2 parrots which are in one cage. Today, I was cleaning the cage on my terrace and didn't closed the door completely, one parrot ran out and at the same time, one cat attacked on it. I used one stick and hit on the cat. She ran. ( Cat is wild, not anyone's pet).

I got my parrot, but it was bleeding from neck which is down to his beak. I applied Soframycin on its wound. It stops bleeding now, but neither eating anything nor drinking water.

Can anyone tell me that is Soframycin OK or do I need any other thing..
What to do if it is not eating anything, just sat on the top of the cage..

Please replay asap..

thnx in advance......

i know it may sound ridiculous....BUT TRAVEL TO A NEAREST METROPOLITAN CITY AND VIST THE BEST VET.....period

do anything what it takes to save him......i often visit a metro within our state and am friends with the best vet doc....this really helps....
hope ur buddy survives, cause other than this we owners cant suggest anything else....

Most Reactions