Need your good thoughts/prayers - Parker is in trouble

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Just a thought re your stress at Parker not eating very much at this time. If he isnt very active it could well be lessening his need to eat as much. If he is interested in eating and trying and not just playing with it then relax a little - he will notice your stress also.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hopefully each day you will see a little improvement and he will keep increasing his food intake...you are doing a wonderful job with him and the great news is that he is improving all be it at a much slower pace than you would like but improvement is good at whatever pace...soon Please God he will be back to his old self Chris.

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Incremental improvement as usual, but more exciting. I don't think I need to hold his food for him to encourage him to eat, he's really starting to bend over to get food. I should clarify that he is usually fed in his playstand, the bowl for which is situated lower than the perch itself. Until yesterday he would reach down for the bowl but couldn't reach.

I'm also starting to recognize him a little more. He's showing a bit more curiosity about goings on around him, reaching out his neck to look at something side-eyed. Feeling pretty good at this point. He's also much steadier on his feet and perching better. Still not 100% but almost. Gets a solid grip on my hand.

By the end of today we'll be off all but one med. a big relief for him because it will cut the number of towellings in half from 4 per day to 2. Last med will be done with tomorrow or Thirsday.

Poops are basically normal now.

Last edited:

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I'm so glad to hear that Parker is doing better.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Great News Chris...keep getting Better Parker

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
happy for you...it's been a rough month for ekkie owners. Parker should be ashamed of himself for charging you a few weeks ago!! Thats no way to treat your rescuer. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
WTH?!?

Chris, I am so sorry that I haven't seen this thread before now! It's been a crazy read and a bit of a rollercoaster, so I can only imagine how it was for you going through this.

It's great that you guys reacted so quickly and got him in to see the vet right away. The seeming slow recovery does concern me, but I wonder if it's not a reaction to his medication? Do any of his medications have diet suppressing side-effects? Or lethargy? Or weakness? Also, how much weight has he lost since this all began?

And what did his vet say about the length of time it's taking him to recover? A reflection of how serious the issue was? Or medicinal complications?

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Thank you my friend! Your post is interesting because the vet tech called today to get an update. I took the opportunity to mention the slow progress. The vet is off this week so the tech was going to communicate with the vet and get back to me.

My whole concern is based on the premise that he didn't get much dose at all and his current issues are more caused by the treatments themselves. That could be completely wrong and he did I fact get a damaging dose. There are no lethargy issues with his current meds.

We have more progress. He finally spoke...twice...in front of me...with me inches from his face. I came walking into the room with an airy, high pitched "Hi Paaarkeeerrr" and leaned in to give his beak a kiss. He immediately responds with "hiiii"

His appetite is clearly coming back, but he's more picky than ever with his foods. Chop gets the upturned beak. Little more time and he may get back. I just can't keep giving him corn and crackers!

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
He's just holding out to see how long he can con you into that yummy corn and cracker diet!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Eat the chop, Parker!!!!
Don't make us come over there!
Oh, and..... Hiiiiiiii!!!!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Any updates on Parker?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Coupes updates actually. He's basically himself again, thank god! The only deficit is he's not yet climbing down his playstand like he used to but I'm sure that is coming soon. Blood Work came back fine, if not better than his very first blood test from a year ago. And he's eating normally now. That's the most important thing :)

The biggest detriment right now is he seems to be plucking more than ever. For the first time he's actually completely bald around his vent, an area of about 2"x2" round just bare skin. I'm really concerned about this, he's never been bald anywhere before as long as he's been in my care, never really touched his down feathers until now. But I want to hold judgement, considering what he's been through, and assume it's just the stress.

All in all, not bad. But an expensive lesson to be sure.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Given the stress he's just been through, withholding judgement seems a good call. I'm hoping this is just a temporary spike in his plucking habit and nothing more.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
I'm really happy about his blood test results! Not to mention that he's back to eating normally.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so glad to hear that Parker is doing better, and I hope the plucking is a temporary reaction to the stress he has been under. Ekko stress plucks as well, and he was right down to the skin this last time. It has taken awhile, but he is finally getting most of his feathers back, and I hope Parker does the same.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I am glad to hear that he is doing so much better. Honestly, if you had to choose between not eating and not plucking, you definitely got the better end of the deal. Hopefully he will ease up once things settle back down. Never even met him, but I'm rather fond of Parkerdoodles.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Most Reactions