Nerve damage?

mitsouko

Jul 8, 2013
Hello everyone!

Well on Friday night my lovebird was attacked by my dog. I took him to the vet he's on anti biotics, pain meds, cream, special diet. He is doing a lot better. Though, his left leg isn't working. He doesn't want to place his leg down. The other leg is working fine thank God. The vet told me it could take about 7 days for it to go down because of shock. Is this normal?
I will be placing him in his cage today for the first time in a week. Lets see if he at least grips with the leg.
Can nerve damage be helped? does it take time? The toes are a great color as is the leg.
pratying for my little guy. He's a trooper ;) :green1:

thanks!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Offering up a statement of "nerve damage" can cover everything from nerves bruised by compression to nerves damaged & rendered in operable by the attack, but it's also a way of saying let's wait & see what happens, because (s)he doesn't have an exact answer or time frame for recovery. I have had birds with bird-bird bites recover from toe amputations and leg bites that.....the amputation was back climbing around his cage the same evening...no worse to ware, but the bird that was bitten on the leg took about a week before it would grip perches or put weight on it's leg.....

When the pain lessens to the point he feels comfortable using the leg again, he'll let you know.....

OP
M

mitsouko

Jul 8, 2013
Weco, thank for the reply.
Well, he went back into his cage today and had a blast, he was climbing using beak and one leg. He went straight to the top of the cage to relax on his ball toys. He also napped into his little fluffy bedding. He ate, drank. He seems to love the cage again :) i'm so happy for him. He had his meds well today and ate.
Time heals all i guess. As for now he appears to be doing ok. I'm happy for him.
He isn't really showing signs of being in pain, he might just be traumatized at this point. poor thing. He's been more awake, not picking at the wounds, etc.

lets see, time will tell :) for now it appears he'll make it.

Most Reactions