Nesting Behaviors... ?

Mikestoz

Sep 18, 2021
Parrots
Pionus - Maxie
Caique - Chachi
My adult poinus likes to nest behind my couch which allows me access to view and to reach inside her nest.

I am wondering if this is abnormal or unhealthy behavior to allow me to reach into her nest and pet her. She allows me to even touch her eggs under her.

She only comes out if the nest to eat, poop, and take calcium when she knows I am around bc our other parrot, a Caique, tries to raid her nest.

Both parrots are out of the cage all day everyday. So I am, what I assume to be, the guardian of her nest.

OP
M

Mikestoz

Sep 18, 2021
Parrots
Pionus - Maxie
Caique - Chachi
My adult poinus likes to nest behind my couch which allows me access to view and to reach inside her nest.

I am wondering if this is abnormal or unhealthy behavior to allow me to reach into her nest and pet her. She allows me to even touch her eggs under her.

She only comes out if the nest to eat, poop, and take calcium when she knows I am around bc our other parrot, a Caique, tries to raid her nest.

Both parrots are out of the cage all day everyday. So I am, what I assume to be, the guardian of her nest.
Also not sure why everyone is trying to prevent this behavior, it's natural.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi Mikestoz, welcome to the Forums to you and your nesty little Pionus hen!

I am the "mother" of a broody, mad keen chronic egg laying lorikeet called Lilly. She has managed to lay three clutches of infertile eggs, the last of which was produced in December of 2019 and I swear she would still be sitting on them to this day if it was up to her! Her behaviour was similar to your Maxie up to a point - while she was sitting on her eggs she was extremely docile and would only pop out for a refresh of food and water or to poop. I have however had to put a stop to her laying because, being a much smaller bird, she was somewhat more prone to becoming egg-bound which can be an extremely serious health risk to any parrot, as well as the depletion of body condition that often accompanies chronic egg laying.

Many people, me included, boil the infertile eggs which makes them just that little bit more durable when your hen is sitting on them for long periods. It means if she breaks the shell through a few weeks of determined sitting you don't have a nasty smelly mess to clean up, although my Lilly is a VERY dedicated sitter and managed to break hers after about 10 days or so. You can also use fake substitute eggs to help prevent chronic laying, and you can get pretty convincing faux eggs quite readily that can be very effective in making your hen believe that she has laid enough already and thus help to prevent even more being produced. I've used fake eggs on Lilly with very good results. If you are in the USA they are readily obtainable from companies such as this one...

Chronic egg laying in general can be problematic from the standpoint of general health and well being and is best curtailed if you possibly can. It may not even be a bad idea to consult your avian vet and have Maxie's overall condition assessed if she's been doing it for any length of time.

Thanks for joining and reaching out with your question and I wish you and your lovely (if rather naughty) hen all the very best!

OP
M

Mikestoz

Sep 18, 2021
Parrots
Pionus - Maxie
Caique - Chachi
LaManuka,
Thank you for your reply.

My Pionus has a clutch of unfertilized eggs at least once a year for 5 years; I rescued her from a breeder who wanted to part with her since she wasn't producing eggs. She was stuck in a 2' x 2' cage with an aggressive male so we took her off his hands.

When we brought her home, we called her a pretty bird and her whole demeanor changed as she repeated the phrase back to me. At that point I realized that she was someone's pet parrot who was brought to the breeder who tried to force her into producing eggs.

So with that being read, I believe these yearly egg laying sessions are natural and not dangerous for the hen as she wants to lay the eggs and does not do so excessively. We have been giving her liquid calcium as a supplement for her during these periods.

I went to a renowned Vet in Colorado and he said it was a matter of preference if you wanted her to lay eggs or not. But that she would require a calcium supplement to keep her healthy if I continue to allow her to do so.

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_125404502_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210918_125404502_HDR.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20210918_125355385_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210918_125355385_HDR.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 133

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Mike, your Maxie is a beautiful girl and I’m so glad she has a wonderful loving home with you now, her previous situation sounds quite nightmarish!

She certainly doesn’t sound as though she is nearly as chronic an egg-layer as my Lilly. Frankly I wish I could let her have a clutch of eggs every now and then, but she is at the more extreme end of the behaviour than your hen and all of the potential reproductive nasties are just that much more likely for her so I just can’t bring myself to allow it. If Maxie is in good condition overall and she’s only laying every year or so it’s certainly not as risky, and it would appear she is doing it because she is so comfortable in her surroundings and very happy to be with you. “Horses for courses” as they say! :)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
To address your original question.

I don't think it is unusual that your bird allows you to touch her or her eggs in the nest.

My Bingo is male so he lays no eggs but I keep a cardboard box in his cage for him to play in.
When he goes into his box to "play house" I can reach in and handle him. This usually results in him regurgitating to my hand . If anyone else tried that there hand would leave the box missing some fingers.

Your bird most likely sees you as her mate and therefore welcome in "her" nest.

Mikey&Levi

Aug 23, 2021
Lebanon
Parrots
Lovebirds
Budgies
Cockatiels
LaManuka,
Thank you for your reply.

My Pionus has a clutch of unfertilized eggs at least once a year for 5 years; I rescued her from a breeder who wanted to part with her since she wasn't producing eggs. She was stuck in a 2' x 2' cage with an aggressive male so we took her off his hands.

When we brought her home, we called her a pretty bird and her whole demeanor changed as she repeated the phrase back to me. At that point I realized that she was someone's pet parrot who was brought to the breeder who tried to force her into producing eggs.

So with that being read, I believe these yearly egg laying sessions are natural and not dangerous for the hen as she wants to lay the eggs and does not do so excessively. We have been giving her liquid calcium as a supplement for her during these periods.

I went to a renowned Vet in Colorado and he said it was a matter of preference if you wanted her to lay eggs or not. But that she would require a calcium supplement to keep her healthy if I continue to allow her to do so.
You should maybe get her 2 fertile eggs to sit on, if you know where to find some. Then she wouldn't be exhausting herself by sitting on them for nothing.

webblock

Sep 26, 2014
I don't know if their are any similarities with Quakers, but my Quaker died as a result of laying eggs. She got an ovarian infection an that was the end of her. It was heartbreaking.

OP
M

Mikestoz

Sep 18, 2021
Parrots
Pionus - Maxie
Caique - Chachi
I'm sorry to hear about your Quaker; Its never easy losing a companion bird. Was not aware that my Pi could get an ovarian infection due to laying eggs yearly. I will need to question my Veterinarian.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
There are some dangers that result from periodic egg laying. That’s why most veterinarians suggest to discourage egg laying. One is that if pulls all the calcium for the eggshells from the mother bird’s bones, possibly making them weak or causing calcium imbalance. Eggs can get stuck (egg binding) which is fatal. My Quaker was not laying eggs but simply maturing and resorting them in her belly. She got a terrible infection and nearly died. It also hurt her liver to deal with all that yolk.

So yes, sometimes egg laying goes ok, but sometimes it doesn’t. At the very least, you lose the companionship of your lovely girl birds and she stresses her body. I would try to limit egg laying but it is hard to end an established behavior pattern.

Most Reactions