Never handled ringneck training and help request !

nivaiis

Oct 18, 2021
Parrots
One male green ringneck
Hi !

I'm Valentine and I've got a little green ringneck male (3 years old), i owned multiple different birds in my lifetime, cockatiels, budgies, african greys and a cockatoo at one point (they were sadly left out in my origin country with my family :( ) , though never a ringneck, but I always wanted one.

And so here goes Dante, I got him few days ago and he's been nothing but absolutely lovely. Previous owners however have NEVER let him out of the cage or handled him in any way, and he's been that way ever since he was small (now approx being 3 years old)

His cage is always left open and he managed to fly around and even sit on my arm / desk right next to me to play with his bell (he even learned how do a BOOP ! sound )I can tell that he's a pretty happy bird and doesn't actually show much agression untill -

Yeah, the second he sees a finger he LUNGES at it or tries to chew on it pretty badly.In fact - he chews everything he sees. I know it's quite common with ringnecks to love chewing on things, but I can't access anything thats within about 20 cm away from him without being lunged at and chewed on. He's been doing fine with quick little boops / pets on the head as i tried to train him with millets, target training, time outs and a clicker, he's very open and comfortable as he manages to even sleep on my shoulder few times. Tho sometimes sometimes gets into him and he can fly of the cage just to try and bite me, growling and going back to the cage.
Closed hand is fine as he just beaks a little on it to have a taste, but the second fingers come out he can't help himself but instantly chew.
I can definitelly see the progress he's made so far since he's more confident about approaching but unless you handle the bell he so loves, he's going to bite instantly.

Does anybody have any ideas of what other methods would work for him? Any do's and dont's ? Would love to hear anything you guys got !

Attachments

• FB1H9HUXEAcWh4d.jpg
    FB1H9HUXEAcWh4d.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 109

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Welcome Valentine and Dante!!

My IRN was so possessive over certain items, especially cutlery and cups/bowls. He was my bird and I was his chosen one while growing up, but not even I was allowed to hold these items and he'd lunge and bite the heck out of my finger. Only solution I had was - don't have him near while drinking coffee or don't let him see me holding my cup! Or in your case - do not hold the holy bell! That's his bell. Don't you touch his bell.

Sounds like Dante is distrustful of the fingers. I've seen in many birds that open hand is very scary to them while a clutched fist is a-okay. Try having an open hand as close (20-30) cm away from him or try slowly opening the fist, little by little, each day tiny bit further. See if he sees the hand and his focus is there - if the focus is there but no bite happens - praise and treat! IRNs are quite hands off birds, and the guess is he's still distrusting of the hand, so try to limit the exposure as well. When you get bitten, put on 5-10 minute ignoring. Leave him be, put on a chair or even cage, and off you go. This is his timeout, and they are like little children, they hate being ignored. Eventually he should get the message not to bite. Another icky thing about IRNs is their bluffing. Their bluffing stage goes somewhere at age of 2, but I think it kind of stays with them for quite a while. They act all cute and innocent then just latch onto you. Dante should grow out of it eventually. Some people suggest grabbing by the beak and saying a stern "no" , but I personally don't suggest in Dante's case until he is more comfortable with hands. But, saying a stern "no biting" should be followed when bitten and then to the time out he goes.

If you had so many birds with your family, I'm sure you have plenty of experience with bird in general. Working with IRNs has to be constant, the beginning is really hard, but the life time friendship is so rewarding. They are so loyal to their chosen one, super friendly with most people (Mine had a few enemies, but I think it came out of jealousy or plainly because the person hated him and he felt that). My suggestion is just keep up the good work, take it slow with the fingers, respect his stuff, avoid touching items that trigger him (This has to be done even with our extremely tame senegal) or make sure to distract him if you have to touch the item. If you do manage to grab the item, while having him distracted, praise and treat again! If not, back onto the cage you go/off the shoulder. Also, did I mention how bullheaded these birds are?

You can pet Dante on the head but try doing in the same direction as the feathers grow, they're not such cuddly birds like conures for example who will melt in your hands while you mess with their feathers. IRNs love keeping their feathers nice and neat.

Also Dante is absolutely gorgeous.

OP
N

nivaiis

Oct 18, 2021
Parrots
One male green ringneck
Welcome Valentine and Dante!!

My IRN was so possessive over certain items, especially cutlery and cups/bowls. He was my bird and I was his chosen one while growing up, but not even I was allowed to hold these items and he'd lunge and bite the heck out of my finger. Only solution I had was - don't have him near while drinking coffee or don't let him see me holding my cup! Or in your case - do not hold the holy bell! That's his bell. Don't you touch his bell.

Sounds like Dante is distrustful of the fingers. I've seen in many birds that open hand is very scary to them while a clutched fist is a-okay. Try having an open hand as close (20-30) cm away from him or try slowly opening the fist, little by little, each day tiny bit further. See if he sees the hand and his focus is there - if the focus is there but no bite happens - praise and treat! IRNs are quite hands off birds, and the guess is he's still distrusting of the hand, so try to limit the exposure as well. When you get bitten, put on 5-10 minute ignoring. Leave him be, put on a chair or even cage, and off you go. This is his timeout, and they are like little children, they hate being ignored. Eventually he should get the message not to bite. Another icky thing about IRNs is their bluffing. Their bluffing stage goes somewhere at age of 2, but I think it kind of stays with them for quite a while. They act all cute and innocent then just latch onto you. Dante should grow out of it eventually. Some people suggest grabbing by the beak and saying a stern "no" , but I personally don't suggest in Dante's case until he is more comfortable with hands. But, saying a stern "no biting" should be followed when bitten and then to the time out he goes.

If you had so many birds with your family, I'm sure you have plenty of experience with bird in general. Working with IRNs has to be constant, the beginning is really hard, but the life time friendship is so rewarding. They are so loyal to their chosen one, super friendly with most people (Mine had a few enemies, but I think it came out of jealousy or plainly because the person hated him and he felt that). My suggestion is just keep up the good work, take it slow with the fingers, respect his stuff, avoid touching items that trigger him (This has to be done even with our extremely tame senegal) or make sure to distract him if you have to touch the item. If you do manage to grab the item, while having him distracted, praise and treat again! If not, back onto the cage you go/off the shoulder. Also, did I mention how bullheaded these birds are?

You can pet Dante on the head but try doing in the same direction as the feathers grow, they're not such cuddly birds like conures for example who will melt in your hands while you mess with their feathers. IRNs love keeping their feathers nice and neat.

Also Dante is absolutely gorgeous.

A very funny thing about his holy bell is that he will purposely BRING the bell to me or if it's already next to me he will starts doing the 'Boop' or start yelling untill i take it up and jingle it for him, then he's literally an absolutely changed bird and chirps in the cutest ways. It's just when the open fingers are holding it he's throwing a tantrum. AND MY COMPUTER MOUSE ! He HATES when i hold it and just goes after it imidiatelly. I'll definitelly try your advice tho!

Timeouts is what I've always known for birds to work perfectly and I'm doing them with him as well, they seem to work quite well. He's an extremaly curious little boy and would fly out of his cage and sit next to me and such, looking at what im doing and stealing some of my stuff. He's absolutely the master of bluffing at the moment and I do hope he gets out of it soonish, he's such a silly baby honestly.

I'll definitelly continue with the training as the days go and see his progress, I'm sure he needs more time but because I've never been with a ringneck I wanted to overall get a glimpse of if it's generally a normal behaviour. So thank you so much for all the advice !

I actually had no idea they didn't like their feathers messed with ! I knew they weren't a very cuddly type but that's very helpful !

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
A very funny thing about his holy bell is that he will purposely BRING the bell to me or if it's already next to me he will starts doing the 'Boop' or start yelling untill i take it up and jingle it for him, then he's literally an absolutely changed bird and chirps in the cutest ways. It's just when the open fingers are holding it he's throwing a tantrum. AND MY COMPUTER MOUSE ! He HATES when i hold it and just goes after it imidiatelly. I'll definitelly try your advice tho!

Timeouts is what I've always known for birds to work perfectly and I'm doing them with him as well, they seem to work quite well. He's an extremaly curious little boy and would fly out of his cage and sit next to me and such, looking at what im doing and stealing some of my stuff. He's absolutely the master of bluffing at the moment and I do hope he gets out of it soonish, he's such a silly baby honestly.

I'll definitelly continue with the training as the days go and see his progress, I'm sure he needs more time but because I've never been with a ringneck I wanted to overall get a glimpse of if it's generally a normal behaviour. So thank you so much for all the advice !

I actually had no idea they didn't like their feathers messed with ! I knew they weren't a very cuddly type but that's very helpful !
He really sounds like a real IRN :D Mine was such a butt as well! King of all bluffing!

Out of curiosity, how long have you had him? Birds in general need around 3 months at least to adjust to the routine, some even more, and as you may know as you had a grey, the trust gaining is a life long thing.

Make sure to share your journey with Dante here!

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I learned to approach mine with a closed tight fist, if I had to from the front. Otherwise, an approach from the rear/side was better as I found he'd toss out a leg to the back (previous owner must have trained him that way). After a long while, fingers on the hand he stood on were not much of an issue, and trust and engagement built over a 1+ year period. I can reach up to him on my shoulder with a flat fingers perch with impunity, and he'll either push off or step up. I'm sure you can get there. That trust bit was a bit hard for both of us, to be honest... and coming at him with fingers I believe will always be an instinctual fear for him.

Your guy looks amazing - a handsome boy! I want to kiss him with pets, and cup my finger and thumb around his head to rub his cheeks, and hear him cluck like a chicken in bliss with his eyes closed. Well, mine does that anyway, and demands it quite often. Of course, only for a minute... I think every day I hold him to my face and gently rub my nose on his beak, just a couple strokes, and he nibbles back. I'm in love :D

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts