New amazon parront

Megsm

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Xena, conure
Corky, amazon
Grover, amazon
Hi everybody, I'm hoping to find some suggestions from people who have more experience than me! We have recently taken in two amazons, Corky and Grover, from someone who was possibly being evacuated due to fires. We thought it was a foster in the meantime but she does not want them back. Corky has taken to me immediately, she will step up, hang out with me and seems fairly easy going so far but still a bit nervous. Grover spends most of his time lunging at me, especially when his friend wants to come see me. My other half gets lunged at less than I do, but neither one of us are able to handle him yet. I know it's going to take a lot of time to win him over and that is fine, he can take all the time he needs, but I would like to take them both to our avian vet sooner rather than later and I am trying to figure out the best way to do this without making Grover like us even less! Any tips on how to avoid bleeding while doing this would be appreciated!! I'm not as used to these big guys as I am with my smaller birds so I'm a little intimidated by the idea of getting chomped! Thanks for any help and tips you guys can share!

Attachments

• 20230825_182044.jpg
    20230825_182044.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 26

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Aww, thank you for taking these guys in. To be honest, you can take a spicy Amazon to an avian vet - the vet will be able to handle it and have seen worse.

A small cat/dog kennel will work for a temporary transport cage - I prefer the metal dog kennels as they can’t chew their way out, but be careful as they CAN nip you through the bars. For Grover, have your partner get them to step up onto a long dowel or perch and then maneuver them into the carrier. You can use a second perch if you need to to keep them from marching straight up it and taking a chunk out of you.

Others may disagree, but I always prioritize getting them to the vet, willing or unwilling, especially if there are other birds in the house. They look healthy in the photo but you never know. Plus, if the one doesn’t trust you right now, it hopefully can’t get any worse, haha!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Welcome to the forum.
Be sure to read the sticky threads at the top of the Amazon sub-forum.

I have two birds in a similar state.
the Twins Luna/Merlin, Luna is not very friendly but Merlin steps up no problem.

since it looks like your 2 amazons are friends
I would put the bird that steps up in a transfer cage first.
After that it should be easier to get the troublesome bird in the transfer cage.
(both birds in same cage if possible).
Using a perch or dowel is good.
What works for me with my Yellow nape is a towel.
not in the traditional fashion bundling him up but holding the towel in front of him so he grabs/attacks it and sort of hangs from the bottom of the towel while I drop him slowly into the cage.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ha! I forgot about the towel trick. I’ve seen that one done too- let them grab the towel and go to town and gently lower them into the carrier.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. And a big thank you for taking in these 2 double yellow head AMazons, one of my favorite parrots. Unfortunately, they uniformly hate me on sight and I've been bitten (some badly) by that species more that all others combined.

THe towel is your friend when handling a parrot that does not want it.

OP
M

Megsm

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Xena, conure
Corky, amazon
Grover, amazon
Aww, thank you for taking these guys in. To be honest, you can take a spicy Amazon to an avian vet - the vet will be able to handle it and have seen worse.

A small cat/dog kennel will work for a temporary transport cage - I prefer the metal dog kennels as they can’t chew their way out, but be careful as they CAN nip you through the bars. For Grover, have your partner get them to step up onto a long dowel or perch and then maneuver them into the carrier. You can use a second perch if you need to to keep them from marching straight up it and taking a chunk out of you.

Others may disagree, but I always prioritize getting them to the vet, willing or unwilling, especially if there are other birds in the house. They look healthy in the photo but you never know. Plus, if the one doesn’t trust you right now, it hopefully can’t get any worse, haha!
Thank you for the ideas! I was thinking to use a dog crate to get them there. We have been trying a perch or dowel to get him to step up but so far he shys away from them immediately.

OP
M

Megsm

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Xena, conure
Corky, amazon
Grover, amazon
Welcome to the forum.
Be sure to read the sticky threads at the top of the Amazon sub-forum.

I have two birds in a similar state.
the Twins Luna/Merlin, Luna is not very friendly but Merlin steps up no problem.

since it looks like your 2 amazons are friends
I would put the bird that steps up in a transfer cage first.
After that it should be easier to get the troublesome bird in the transfer cage.
(both birds in same cage if possible).
Using a perch or dowel is good.
What works for me with my Yellow nape is a towel.
not in the traditional fashion bundling him up but holding the towel in front of him so he grabs/attacks it and sort of hangs from the bottom of the towel while I drop him slowly into the cage.
The towel idea sounds great thanks! I somehow think that one may work for him lol

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have used a towel in one other way.
sometimes I need to pick up my bird and he looks like he’s going to bite.
I will rap the towel around my arm starting with the hand.
So far he has always stepped up and never attacked me doing this.
He seems more puzzled/unsure about the situation.
If he decides to bite it would still be painful but it shouldn’t be more than a bruise.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I have nothing useful to add except:
Corky and Grover!!

whistle-wolf.gif

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please, (both of you) read with detail: Understanding Amazon Body Language!! My recommendation is to read it out loud, in a loving voice in a chair near them as it will help them become ever more comfortable with the two of you!

Always, talk to your Amazons as they are a social creatures and "contact call" (communication) is an on-going part of their daily life. If I wish to have my DYHA "step-up" I tell him that is why I came coming his way and if he wants to go to..... While approaching him, I can read his behavior responses and that will commonly tell me whether he is interested or not at this moment. If you request a "step-up, go some place even if it is a tour of the room!

Amazons want to be part of the family, so their joining during a meal or other gathering is important in linking them with the flock!

I am guessing that you live in North America and if so, we have had one heck of a year for our Amazon and what has seemed like a very long Hormonal Season. Your DYHA's are one of the "Hot Three Amazons" and understand that Amazons have zero control regarding the start, or continued flow once started. But more on that later. Quick Point, never egg-on an Amazon and especially a DYHA, if they are having a bad moment, it is better to just step away.

OP
M

Megsm

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Xena, conure
Corky, amazon
Grover, amazon
Please, (both of you) read with detail: Understanding Amazon Body Language!! My recommendation is to read it out loud, in a loving voice in a chair near them as it will help them become ever more comfortable with the two of you!

Always, talk to your Amazons as they are a social creatures and "contact call" (communication) is an on-going part of their daily life. If I wish to have my DYHA "step-up" I tell him that is why I came coming his way and if he wants to go to..... While approaching him, I can read his behavior responses and that will commonly tell me whether he is interested or not at this moment. If you request a "step-up, go some place even if it is a tour of the room!

Amazons want to be part of the family, so their joining during a meal or other gathering is important in linking them with the flock!

I am guessing that you live in North America and if so, we have had one heck of a year for our Amazon and what has seemed like a very long Hormonal Season. Your DYHA's are one of the "Hot Three Amazons" and understand that Amazons have zero control regarding the start, or continued flow once started. But more on that later. Quick Point, never egg-on an Amazon and especially a DYHA, if they are having a bad moment, it is better to just step away.
I had actually already started reading that post to them when I come in to chill, it was suggested on another thread and seemed like a great idea! I also make up lyrics to random tunes and belt out what Disney songs iknow which seems to go over quite well lol. I definetly try to give space when Grover is in a mood...which is most of the time unfortunately! It's hard sometimes when Corky is consistently asking to come see me and I can't get near the cage.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Do you identify your birds by looks?
What I mean is, do they look different enough to easily tell apart?
My Twins look so much alike I need to be within 3/4 feet to see the difference (eye color).
Even then I have been bitten a bunch of times by Luna because I thought she was Merlin.
I can tell at a distance by behavior
IMG_1166.jpeg

This was the first picture I could find with both birds in it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Having what sounds like a pair of DYHA is never easy as you are finding out. There is no easy way of working with just one without the other one's involvement /approval. Possible, bribery to distract attention may work?

OP
M

Megsm

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Xena, conure
Corky, amazon
Grover, amazon
My Twins look so much alike I need to be within 3/4 feet to see the difference (eye color).
Even then I have been bitten a bunch of times by Luna because I thought she was Merlin.
View attachment 53868
This was the first picture I could find with both
Having what sounds like a pair of DYHA is never easy as you are finding out. There is no easy way of working with just one without the other one's involvement /approval. Possible, bribery to distract attention

View attachment 53868
This was the first picture I could find with both birds in it.
Yes thankfully we can tell them apart by looks as well as how they act! Your birds are beautiful!

Most Reactions

Latest posts