New Approach to my Fid's diet

IBBean

Jun 3, 2013
Hi everybody,

Ever since I got onto these forums/blogs about parrots, I have been worried about "am I feeding my fid's correctly?", "am I harming them by what I am feeding them?" etc.
I love all of my feathered babies and have done my best to give them the best diet possible. I have a CAG, two eclectus (male and female), a couple of finches and a cockatiel. NONE of them like pellets, and after research I have done, have decided that pellets are not good for my ekkies anyway. I have tried to feed fresh veggies and fruits as their staple diet, with a quality seed thrown in.
The only thing fresh any of my bigger fid's will eat is most fruits, and peppers of any type. I have diced, sliced, steamed, given fresh, you name it, I have tried it. No dice.
I have discovered they WILL eat frozen veggies. I thaw them out in lukewarm water before serving. I also ensure I buy organic as much as possible, and also make sure only ingredients are the veggie and water, no added salt/sugar.
They all (the big birds), also will eat beans, thawed, not fresh.
SO.....here is their diet:
bag of frozen (thawed) mixed veggies (carrot, peas, green beans, corn)
frozen (thawed) cooked squash
frozen (thawed) chopped kale
frozen (thawed) fiesta veggies (broccoli, carrot, beans)
I do try to vary that up, sometimes throw in whole grain pasta, brown rice
I give fresh fruit a couple times a week.
I am going to be looking to find more legumes as they do like them, especially kidney beans.
I am just sharing this as I know I cannot be the only one who has tried, unsuccessfully to switch a bird to healthy meals, and know how frustrating it is to feel we are throwing away money when they don't eat what we give. I was so happy to find my babies are now eating better.
Is there anything else (frozen of course) that may be available I can offer??
Thanks

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Have you considered sprouting? ALL of my birds eat those, absolutely nothing left when they are finished with the sprouts!

OP
I

IBBean

Jun 3, 2013
Yes, have tried that also....they are just SO picky, I was happy to find that I could just thaw frozen veggies to get the veggies in them :)

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Wow, it seems all your fids want is veggies! mine will eat anything but veggies! :)

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Have you tried freezing your own fresh veggies? Most veggies you can just cut into bite sized pieces, blanch for a couple minutes, dry on paper towels, then freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet before putting in bags. It's easy and cheap when fresh veggies are in season and then you know there is nothing in them you didn't put in them!

Squashes and sweet potatoes can even be cooked in the microwave then cut up and frozen.

Most Reactions